Sign in to follow this  

I need to know some stuff before I buy

I know the difference between 2-strokes and 4-strokes. What I'm really trying to figure out though is if dirt bikes get good mileage on the road. Is a 125cc ideal or should I go higher? Also in terms of speed how fast can they go on the road.

I know the difference between 2-strokes and 4-strokes. What I'm really trying to figure out though is if dirt bikes get good mileage on the road. Is a 125cc ideal or should I go higher? Also in terms of speed how fast can they go on the road.

From experience riding my bike on road, 60mph I reckon is as fast as you'd go comfortably. Anymore and there's lots of wind. Absolute top speed some of the bigger bikes would do 100mph, my 200 made 150KM/H which is 10 KM/H short of 100MP/H.

This is not comfortable to do though because of the wind, a decent jacket and helmet helps to abate this however.

A 250cc road bike would be more practical if you're concerned about speed and milage, although 250cc four stroke singles are economical too.

For road running you want something bigger than a 125.

Depends on what type of roads you will be riding on.  For Interstate and highway riding a 125cc is small.  For city riding around town a 125cc would be great.

A dirt motorcycle can be geared to do varying speeds.  Engine size alone does not limit the speed of the bike.  Gearing and max engine RPM do more so.  In college I had a Honda XL125S geared up for street.  It ran all week on a tank of regular gas and did 50 - 55MPH easy.

4 strokes will get better gas mileage than 2 strokes.  Dirt bikes do not get any better gas mileage when ridden on the road than when ridden on the dirt.   From my experience the Honda XL125S did about 90mpg.  Contrast that with the KLR250 I owned which did about 70mpg and the DRZ400S which did about 55mpg.

I want to be able to travel around town and go on free ways essentially. Should I just get a 250cc motorcycle instead?

I want to be able to travel around town and go on free ways essentially. Should I just get a 250cc motorcycle instead?

You should get a street bike. Dirt bikes suck on pavement just as bad as street bikes suck in the dirt. To make a dirtbike work even somewhat well on pavement you need to neuter it enough that it doesn't work at all offroad. 

My XR600R is geared to do well over 100. But over 80mph the wind hits so hard that you'd feel like you are in a boxing ring. 1st gear idles along at 15 mph. No offroading with that, gravel roads max.

Tons of suspension travel sucks onroad, wallows and handles terribly. Dirtbikes all have this.

If you use a tire that works on tarmac, it'll put you on your head in the dirt- ZERO traction. Conversely, a proper dirt tire will grind itself to nothing in 100 miles on pavement.

Need I go on? There's lots more...

Best case, get a lame and lazy 4stroke dualsport like a DR-Z or KLX... They don't do either well but they at least do it evenly.

• Like 1

Thanks for giving me the insight fella's I guess I'll just buy a street bike. I know that enduro's are really expensive.

Edited by mattabraham
  • Like 1