Sign in to follow this  

Best of Both Worlds

Compromise, love the wife, she compromised, the 13YZ250F is to be traded, I get my CRF250X and get to keep and upgrade my CRF250L.  The 'X' is inbound from warehouse ETA wed/thur.  Have OK to order race tech suspension in June for the 'L'.  So now I have a good exercise bike in the 'X' that 'slows me down' making momma happy, and my 'L' for other off road fun needs.

Abbott is going to be closed next week to remodel both tracks, so don't get to play till next Sat and Sun.  Got the YZ490 up and running like a top, had some issues to resolve, timing reset, float reset, and found that tiny section of bare wire that was arcing to frame shorting it out.  Another 'fun' fact is Race Tech can rebuild the 1982 rear mono shock to modern standards and give me an extra inch, plus stiffer rear, and they can rebuild the front forks as well to modern standards, a win/win.  That will be next winters project.

The XR650 will be transformed into an 'Adventure' bike for road trips, so all is well and kinda normal now.  Now just need to see how soon before momma changes her mind again about me riding dirt.

• Like 7

We have racing both modern and vintage on Apr 27, come on out.  I think you are going to like the proposed 'new' vintage/beginner track, no real 'air' hoping for a late 70's MX feel.  Strip the 'L' and do the beginners race on the vintage/modern track, take mirrors off, tape or remove lights, and join the fun.  True beginners NO SANDBAGGERS.

• Like 1

oldsoldier173, you must be a long legged rascal to be able to straddle the seats on an XR250 and an XR650!  The XR's are all pretty cool bikes although the 650 is old school technology, which isn't all bad.  I wouldn't mind owning an XR250 but I don't think I could handle the 37.7" seat height.  Maybe if I was 25 years younger I wouldn't feel so awkward on a long suspension bike but right now, the 250L is about as tall as I can handle these days.  Congrats on your new bike.....I'm sure you're gonna enjoy it! 

• Like 2

oldsoldier173, you must be a long legged rascal to be able to straddle the seats on an XR250 and an XR650!  The XR's are all pretty cool bikes although the 650 is old school technology, which isn't all bad.  I wouldn't mind owning an XR250 but I don't think I could handle the 37.7" seat height.  Maybe if I was 25 years younger I wouldn't feel so awkward on a long suspension bike but right now, the 250L is about as tall as I can handle these days.  Congrats on your new bike.....I'm sure you're gonna enjoy it! 

I have met oldsoldier173 .... and he is not a long legged dude but, he is one bad @$$ sum of a beach ......  :lol:  I wish I could be half the man he is when it comes to a MX track or old school MX type racing. He is the real deal ...  :thumbsup:

I can tell you that his posts are spot on about what and how he does things ....  :ride:

Hats of to you oldsoldier ...  :worthy:  and thank you for all your posts and encouragement to me ...  :prof:

• Like 2

The 'X' is in the man cave.  Score... instead of a leftover 12 got a leftover 13 for same price.  Tomorrow is prep for weekend.  One of the salesman wanted to know more about my YZ250F looks like already sold as he has been looking for a used 250,  he has seen me at track and knows what I did to it made it a screamer and fast.

• Like 2