Sign in to follow this  

Honda 2006 extremely build Honda trx450r stuck between 1gear and neutral

A Couple days ago I was riding.I shifted up from 1st gear to second and it got caught between 1st and neutral. Locked in place. I was thinking a shifter fork. My biggest guess. Does the case have to be split to change this? Also what tools will I absolutely need? I'm about to start the rebuild and I'm not sure where exactly to start. I'm a deisel mechanic on a farm. And these smallers engines are a little different from deisel. Thanks.

Unfortunately  you may have to split the case, lots of fun...  You can start by taking shifter off and pulling the right case  and removing shift shaft.  It could be something other than the shift fork,  there are quite a few write ups on inspecting I have seen more than one honda 450 with broken shift shafts.. if you cant find anything specific to the trx the crf450 is the same motor basically. a quick search found this post similar problem http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/677500-07-crf-450r-stuck-in-gear/

Thank you. I'll be opening it up next weekend when my coolant and oil arrives along with a few new tools. We have had a shifter fork break before. To get to the shift shaft will I have to

remove the clutch and flywheel?