Sign in to follow this  

Looking into a 2006 crf 450r

Hey Guys, I'm 15 5'10 and weigh in at roughly 170lbs. I have a 05 yz125 that will more than likely become my brothers next bike which he is riding a 06 cr85r as of now. He is 13 5'7-5'8 and weighs around 165lbs. He makes the bike look like a 110 pitbike. So if he's gonna up grade why don't I. I have always liked honda since day one when I got a 05 crf100f. Thing was a bulletproof tank. Never had one problem. Had it for a couple years and didn't even change the oil.

I have an 06 Honda 450R, it's a great bike. Actually 05, 06-07 and 08 are pretty much the same with minor variations. 05 is the fully updated CRF450R engine but it's in the same position since 02. 06-08 is the same engine but canted forward slightly, like 5*- makes it turn a little better I guess. 08 has the factory steering damper and gear position ignition retard as the only changes. So basically they are all the same bike that won all the magazine shootouts and gets rave reviews by play riders and amateur racers.

What's great about the CRF450R is that Honda continually updated them for a few years until they were virtually bulletproof and then sold a TON of them. That makes them very well understood and discussed in the forums and parts very plentiful and inexpensive. They perform almost on par with current 450s both in power and handling and are less expensive to keep running.

15 is pretty young for a 450. You don't have all the skill, muscle or judgement you'll have after you're older. And the 450 class is basically the top of the heap. That said, if you are totally comfortable on a 125 smoker and haven't had control issues even while screaming the engine, you'll probably do ok on a 450. Keep in mind that in places where your 125 will bog down, a 450 will huck you like a missle. You need to exercise good throttle control when landing jumps or riding technical terrain.

It won't handle nearly as well as your 125 either, it's A LOT heavier bike.

Last thing, I can start a 125 with my pinkie finger. The 450 takes a strong person to kick over.

get a 250f, a newer honda..... OR kawasaki or Yamaha (avoid the 06 yami).... a 450f is a bit too much, you gotta be really skilled to use all that power... i ride a 07 crf450r but thats only to scare myself:P  My 07 cr125 was alot more fun to throw around.

A 250f has usable power, go for one of them

Thanks for the help. The main reason I want a 450 is I feel like I'm on te throttle a ton on my 125 because I'm going through fields more than track and the 125 starts screaming pretty soon and and I feel like every time I'm going fast through the fields I'm gonna blow the top end compared to the 450 I would only have to use half throttle to get that speed and it wouldn't hurt the engine as much as it would the 125.

Well the thing about 125s is that they live happily at that kind of crazy rpm. They need a piston replacement more often than any other type of bike and the carb needs to be jetted right but other than those two things a 125 loves to hang out at crazy revs.

If your 125 feels like it's geared a little short don't be afraid to play around with the gearing. Ebay, Rocky Mountain, Motosport and the other catalogs companies are full of cheap sprockets that are great to swap in and find optimal gearing for where you ride. You could try dropping a few teeth on the rear or adding one to the front. I guarantee that your 125 will change into a different bike with that simple step.

With a 450, you are correct that they just lope along with no sweat even at crazy speeds. I like my CRF250R just as much though... it's pretty similar, just less power and shorter gears. It's still twice the bike my CR125 is. You might want to go that direction instead- you'd love a 250F I bet.

Well the thing about 125s is that they live happily at that kind of crazy rpm. They need a piston replacement more often than any other type of bike and the carb needs to be jetted right but other than those two things a 125 loves to hang out at crazy revs.

If your 125 feels like it's geared a little short don't be afraid to play around with the gearing. Ebay, Rocky Mountain, Motosport and the other catalogs companies are full of cheap sprockets that are great to swap in and find optimal gearing for where you ride. You could try dropping a few teeth on the rear or adding one to the front. I guarantee that your 125 will change into a different bike with that simple step.

With a 450, you are correct that they just lope along with no sweat even at crazy speeds. I like my CRF250R just as much though... it's pretty similar, just less power and shorter gears. It's still twice the bike my CR125 is. You might want to go that direction instead- you'd love a 250F I bet.

do 250f's blowup easily or not cause that was the main reason I want a 450 so I won't have to do many top end jobs and rebuilds but I will have to check the valves every once in while to prevent that. But won't I just have to check them more on a 250f because to get the same performance from a 250f I would only have to do half that on a 450f right?

You shouldn't buy a 450 just because they last a little longer. They take skill to ride and keep from getting hurt on. That $200 or so you save on maintainence isn't gonna do you any good from a hospital bed.

You should do some research on proper maintenance of 4 strokes- they don't 'just blow up', they get abused and mistreated which causes many types of failures. 2 strokes have issues when people beat them up also.

Keeping a 250F or 450F up and running isn't all that expensive if you do the work yourself. 250s tend to work a little harder than 450s but with woods-type riding they both hold up great. 250Fs are a lot friendlier to younger or less experienced riders.

Staying off the limiter, changing fluids on schedule, checking valves and replacing the piston at the required hours are needed to keep an F motor happy- it's not difficult or very expensive.

Staying off the limiter, changing fluids on schedule, checking valves and replacing the piston at the required hours are needed to keep an F motor happy- it's not difficult or very expensive.

S'easy.... :ride: