Sign in to follow this  

Whoops! Pressurized tank..

So I put a 25 pilot in my bike and after that had issues with my bike stalling and dying.. Kept riding it and didn't have to many issues then I realized when getting gas the cap would let out a little pressure.. Hmm.. Checked my vent and it was pinched under the tank.

So if there's pressure in the tank how would that make it run? Rich because its pressurizing the carb or does that not make sense? Obviously I fixed the problem but was just wondering if I was running it rich or lean or normal for the last 300-400 miles while it was pinched. When I un- pinched it fuel came out of the vent. Thanks guys

I thought the fuel cap had the vent built in?

on the stock metal tank the vent comes out at the very rearward bottom of the tank where the 2 bolts mount it down
  • Like 1

ok thanks. I guess I had better look at mine I had the tank off. and there was no line.

ok thanks. I guess I had better look at mine I had the tank off. and there was no line.

must be different on a 14 because I don't have one. mine vents out the cap. I know for sure because I just took it apart and looked. also as to your question I would think pressure would make I run rich as its trying force fuel in to the carb and out of the tank. but It would have to be quite a bit of pressure to do it.

CA only tank has the vent hose that goes to the vapor canister.  49 state models the gas cap is vented. Pressure in the tank will raise the fuel level in the carb and tend to be rich.

• Like 1

Pressure or vacuum, usually pinched hose creates a vacuum in the tank, then fuel will no longer drain, and bike wont run, for lack of fuel.

• Like 2

Oh ok thanks guys! Ya didn't even think a (higher hp) CA bike would be so cool as to have different cap venting system lol so rich.. ok.. I'm a little on the rich side with my jetting so that should help a little.. Appreciate the replys!