Sign in to follow this  

Question about Riveted Master Link

I'm going to put a new riveted master link on a stock WR250F chain. How do you control how far you press the chain together? It seems like you could over-compress and the link would bind. I don't see a shoulder to stop it.

I could just use my calipers, and push it to the same distance as the other links.

Has anybody else done this and have positive or negative experience?

Thanks,

Toby

I'm going to put a new riveted master link on a stock WR250F chain. How do you control how far you press the chain together? It seems like you could over-compress and the link would bind. I don't see a shoulder to stop it.

I could just use my calipers, and push it to the same distance as the other links.

Has anybody else done this and have positive or negative experience?

Thanks,

Toby

I've done hundreds of these over the years so have ' the feel for it '.

Take your time and keep measuring the distance between the plates, when it the same as the distance of the plates on the main chain peen the pins over. Good luck :-)

Thanks for the reply. That makes sense. Once you have them pushed together to the right distance, do they get any tighter when you peen them over?

Some rivet tools like the EK one I use have an attachment that's used to press the side plate on.

It is designed so the pins bottom-out on it when the side plate is pushed on to the correct position.

I've never had one get tighter when peening the ends.

I believe the tips of the pins are designed to spread without doing that.

Edited by YZEtc