Sign in to follow this  

Its been asked, help on an E jetting my head is spinning

Ive read so many threads that jump around my poor overtaxed brain can not solve my jetting issues on a 02 slant FCR E model.

I NEED HELP - sea level(ish) - 3000 ft (note: I have my 08 KTM and 94 KDX running well!)

Snorkel has been removed, twin air filter, T4 full exhaust, big gun rev limiter, and CE removed with nipples connected. I have a EMN needle in a shopping cart if needed (EMM, EMP?) and will be buying the RD flex jet from TT today.

160 main jet, DXP on 5th clip, 48 pilot, and I believe stock PSJ(65), PAJ. A heavy 2 turns out on fuel/air

Starts great with choke but will over rev on throttle chop and dies with too aggressive throttle after it settles at idle, if it doesnt stall at idle(I believe I have the idle at about 1100-1200?? But hard to get a true reading) A summry/starting point for basic full jetting would be great and if there is a simple summry/outline of what to adjust after would be GREAT! (Note: valves were checked and adjusted when I relocated to sea level and began to have performance issues)

THANKS to everyone in advance that might be able to help a DRZ-E get back on the trail!20140418_183237.jpg

over rev on throttle chop and dies with too aggressive throttle ....

Mate.....Don't stress your "poor overtaxed brain".... With Quick throttle applications at standing free revving, it's normal for an fcr to splutter or stall..

Only be concerned what it's doing when your riding it...

Your current jetting is close.....

a 45 pilot jet should be adequate, around 2.25 turns fuel screw...

Set idle to 1800 rpm +/-50

main jet and needle setting is fine ( U could swap to an OCEMN needle, clip 3 for better performance (and increased fuel consumption, but hey, performance costs)

You should have a 60 paj with carb ports connected..

Edited by Craigo 485sm
  • Like 1

Emn needle, flex jet and 60paj ordered! The EMN needle should be on the 3rd clip with the 160 main? Again thnks for the reply/help

You could have just check your paj size if it's been ok idling it's most likely already in there...

Yes clip 3

You could have just check your paj size if it's been ok idling it's most likely already in there...

Yes clip 3

I did check, as long as I pulled the right jet???? ( threaded into the lower carb port connected after removing the CE)it is a 90. I had a bad, inconsistant idle. This location is #30 on the schematic I have and listed as the 'jet, air'?????

FYI, I also pulled the joint/collar and checked the 'jet, main air-#26 on the schematic' it is a 200, and the 'jet, slow air-#29' it is a 60. They are soaking in yamahlube carburetor dip now (makes the brass look brand new!)...... Should they just go back in?

FYI, I also pulled the joint/collar and checked the 'jet, main air-#26 on the schematic' it is a 200, and the 'jet, slow air-#29' it is a 60. They are soaking in yamahlube carburetor dip now (makes the brass look brand new!)...... Should they just go back in?

Your ok will the ports connected...

Great...... really appreciate the help and response! Have been ultimately pleased and impressed with the TT community since joining...... must say I spent too long just 'visiting'! Will post an update and really hope I get the 'Valdez' (see garage) back up to snuff!!! Its been a great steed since '06 but just didnt adjust well to my 'sea level' re location

over rev on throttle chop and dies with too aggressive throttle ....

Mate.....Don't stress your "poor overtaxed brain".... With Quick throttle applications at standing free revving, it's normal for an fcr to splutter or stall..

Only be concerned what it's doing when your riding it...

Your current jetting is close.....

a 45 pilot jet should be adequate, around 2.25 turns fuel screw...

Set idle to 1800 rpm +/-50

main jet and needle setting is fine ( U could swap to an OCEMN needle, clip 3 for better performance (and increased fuel consumption, but hey, performance costs)

You should have a 60 paj with carb ports connected..

does it matter if the ports are connected or capped?

does it matter if the ports are connected or capped?

Yes it does....if you want your bike to idle that is...

use a 100 paj if you want to cap the carb ports...

I did check, as long as I pulled the right jet???? ( threaded into the lower carb port connected after removing the CE)it is a 90. I had a bad, inconsistant idle. This location is #30 on the schematic I have and listed as the 'jet, air'?????

sorry guys but I need a little clarification and this is where I start 'spinning'. When I removed the CE I left the 90 jet in the lower carb port and then connected it to the upper as seen in the original picture.... is this the PAJ????which should be a 60?(listed as the air jet) or is the jet under the ring/collar the PAJ, listed as the slow air jet and currently a 60???? If the 'carb port' jet is not the PAJ do I leave the 90 in with those ports connected? or do I remove it with the ports connected.....??? Thanks again and I cant wait to get it put back together once the parts are in and post how well its running

Try not to spin too much......lol

The 90 is an air jet , the 60 is the pilot air jet...I told you were good to go with the carb ports connected in post #12.. :)

You did, you were right, I didnt need the paj (maybe ill need a spare some day???) And now I know!!!! :-) -sorry no fancy emoticons-

oh and on a side bar I read the thread on the DRZ that got stolen, and as others did, i wanted to give you props for helping out!!

What would be the performance change/ engine characteristics be if the 90 air jet were changed/or removed...... just curiuos??? Trying to get a better handle on this carb stuff as I doubt ill ever be without or able to afford all injected toys!

THANKS! Again!

Well the EMN needle finally got here and with the flex jet installed and jetting guide lines followed the DRZ is running as good as ever and maybe even a little better..... very short warm up time and then starts right up with one stab of the magic button. Im at about 2.25/2.375 turns out and have very little decel popping!!!! No bog at acceleration either!!!!

Thanks to everyone and especially to Craigo!!!!!

Note:

tried to upload a video from my phone of the bike running but there is a file capadibility issue?...... maybe I can get it done directly from the tablet!?

• Like 1