Sign in to follow this  

YZ 125 Water Pump Leak

What's up fam just needed some quick pointers before I dive into this little task of mines. I recently bought a 2000 YZ 125 pretty clean bike had pro circuit pipe and silencer vforce 3 reeds and Athena big bore kit only paid $1,100 with a title. The bike has been running fine up until the other day I notice a small coolant leak from my weep hole underneath my water pump case. So I figured bad water pump seal and ordered a hot rods water pump rebuild kit to solve the issue all together. I've never done this before so just wanted to know was it something difficult? I do mostly all the work to my bikes aside from bottom end rebuilds and machine work so I figure I could do this alone. Have any of you don't those? I have a online manual but just wanted a little more before I open up anything.

What's up fam just needed some quick pointers before I dive into this little task of mines. I recently bought a 2000 YZ 125 pretty clean bike had pro circuit pipe and silencer vforce 3 reeds and Athena big bore kit only paid $1,100 with a title. The bike has been running fine up until the other day I notice a small coolant leak from my weep hole underneath my water pump case. So I figured bad water pump seal and ordered a hot rods water pump rebuild kit to solve the issue all together. I've never done this before so just wanted to know was it something difficult? I do mostly all the work to my bikes aside from bottom end rebuilds and machine work so I figure I could do this alone. Have any of you don't those? I have a online manual but just wanted a little more before I open up anything.

A lot of videos on YouTube about waterpump seal replacement. They helped me successfully change my seals

I've seen a lot of videos just wanted to know if anybody had done this themselves and if there was any tips I should know before doing it. I'm just waiting for my kit to come in the mail to do the seal replacement.

If you could upload some pics that'll be awesome. I'm not sure how to so it, I've been trying to figure out myself. I haven't opened it up yet so I don't know how the shaft looks yet. If my kick starter shaft was to come out of place would it be hard to put back together?

I tried to get as much oem parts as I could for the rebuild. All my gaskets are yamaha oem. I even got a carb rebuild kit because I keep leakin gas out my overflow vent. Not sure if my floats are set correctly or if my needle seat is causing the leak. Just gonna rebuild the whole thing and see what happens from there. Back to the topic, I'm finally about to crack it open and attempt to so the repairs. Do you think I should remove the motor from the frame? Or can it be done with it still on if I have the bike laid on it side on the ground?

If you could upload some pics that'll be awesome. I'm not sure how to so it, I've been trying to figure out myself. I haven't opened it up yet so I don't know how the shaft looks yet. If my kick starter shaft was to come out of place would it be hard to put back together?

your kickstart shaft shouldnt come out. when you take the side cover off make sure you push the kickstart shaft in so it doesnt pull the spring off. I'll upload the pictures in a minute and put them on this thread. I didnt see you responded because you didnt quote me. haha..

Thanks for the help, I did the job and it came out good. Now I'm just waiting for my top end kit to come in. I melted my last wiseco piston. If I knew how to post pictures id show you how it looks. Luckily no damage to my cylinder. I just recently bought the bike so it needs Afew things done to it.

• Like 1