Sign in to follow this  

2005 cr250r shock and spring help

I've been searching all day and could use some help:

I just bought a clean 05 cr250r from a fat dude that trail rode occasionally. Well last year he had a well-known shop re-spring and re-valve his shocks and they completely jacked it up. The forks hardly move and the rear is like a pogo stick ( like they forgot the oil! ) and this led to a hard crash which is why he sold it. I want to fix the problem.

I'm 6'2" weigh 200 lbs and consider myself a beginner on the MX track. ( I ride a lot of trails on my 450x, so I'm not a complete beginner )

What would be a good spring rate for the forks and rear shock? Does anyone have any experience with valving? If so what would be a good starting point?

Also should I keep the lowering rear link or go back with the factory link?

I have lots of experience revavling and rebuilding shocks but I can't afford to be buying a lot of springs.

Thanks!

Go to www.racetech.com and look up spring rate....or shock help. Anyway they have a section that allows you to input your bike, height, weight, skill level and such and the it tells you what your recommended spring rate and suspension settings should be. I would link you but I am on my phone and don't have it available right now. It's really easy to find though. No purchase necessary. Lol

Go to www.racetech.com and look up spring rate....or shock help. Anyway they have a section that allows you to input your bike, height, weight, skill level and such and the it tells you what your recommended spring rate and suspension settings should be. I would link you but I am on my phone and don't have it available right now. It's really easy to find though. No purchase necessary. Lol

I tried that earlier but couldn't get it to work on my phone or ipad. I'll try a PC when I can.

I had heard conflicting reviews about the calculator so I was hoping to get some input from people with experience.

I tried that earlier but couldn't get it to work on my phone or ipad. I'll try a PC when I can.

I had heard conflicting reviews about the calculator so I was hoping to get some input from people with experience.

it was spot on for me so I can't say anything bad about it. I am 6'5" 275 and I get a nice ride out of my 97 CR based on the settings recommended by race tech. Its a nice starting point anyway.

it was spot on for me so I can't say anything bad about it. I am 6'5" 275 and I get a nice ride out of my 97 CR based on the settings recommended by race tech. Its a nice starting point anyway.

Thanks!

I'm 6' 3" tall and weigh about 220 without gear. With gear I'm probably closer to 240. I have a '01 CR250R and I run the .48 fork springs, and a 5.6 shock spring. I have revalved the forks and the shock for hare scrambles/woods riding ONLY as I never run MX tracks. If you search my user name you should be able to find what I am running for shims in the forks & also the shock as people from this web site helped me through the process.

I realize you don't want to spend a lot of money needlessly buying shims but unfortunately it's not likely you are going to get your suspension perfect the first time. Plan on buying shims at least 2 or 3 times. Find someone local to you so that you can just walk in and buy them immediately. It sucks having to pay $16 shipping on shims that do not add up to a single ounce (no thanks Racetech!!)  Plus, you will have to wait for them to arrive which I don't have the patience for.

Be absolutely certain that you have your sag set correctly after the new spring install. Then, after your first ride, or first several rides, check and adjust the sag again as it seems to be that new shock springs settle a little bit.

If you have not already done so search "the dogger suspension" and that will bring up a post with a lot of great information that will help you if you are not already schooled on shim changing.

I'm 6' 3" tall and weigh about 220 without gear. With gear I'm probably closer to 240. I have a '01 CR250R and I run the .48 fork springs, and a 5.6 shock spring. I have revalved the forks and the shock for hare scrambles/woods riding ONLY as I never run MX tracks. If you search my user name you should be able to find what I am running for shims in the forks & also the shock as people from this web site helped me through the process.

I realize you don't want to spend a lot of money needlessly buying shims but unfortunately it's not likely you are going to get your suspension perfect the first time. Plan on buying shims at least 2 or 3 times. Find someone local to you so that you can just walk in and buy them immediately. It sucks having to pay $16 shipping on shims that do not add up to a single ounce (no thanks Racetech!!)  Plus, you will have to wait for them to arrive which I don't have the patience for.

Be absolutely certain that you have your sag set correctly after the new spring install. Then, after your first ride, or first several rides, check and adjust the sag again as it seems to be that new shock springs settle a little bit.

If you have not already done so search "the dogger suspension" and that will bring up a post with a lot of great information that will help you if you are not already schooled on shim changing.

Thanks! I understand about the shims, I live in the sticks so I will make one big order. I'm thinking .45 for the forks and 5.4 for the shock but not 100% yet. Whose are the springs to get and from where? It seems like race tech is the most common but also has the most negative reviews and high prices.