Sign in to follow this  

XR500 1980 timing chain

My honda xr500 makes a lot of noise from cam chain -- I try adjusting it but the top nut which the book says is the lock nut will not tighten up -- Is this a serious problem? - how do I fix it?

Thanks

It could be serious if the cam chain jumps a sprocket. I'm not totally familiar with the 1980 500s cam chain adjustment. What you generally do with them is have the engine running at idle then undo the lock nut and the guides/adjustor is supposed to take up the slack..When the nuts undone a bit you just do it up again..that is the adjustment method..If it's still rattling like a bugger after that you need a new chain and maybe guides..

On the 82s the adjusting nut/bolt was on the back and at the base of the cylinder from memory,,dunno with the 80..

Fiche,,

http://www.servicehondapsn.com/fiche_section_detail.asp?section=2562450&category=Motorcycles&make=Honda&year=1980&fveh=132884

All the parts you'd need are discontinued..You'll need to do some work trying to find a fix if you

can't get the bits new..The chain wouldn't be too hard.,you can get un-joined chains and cut them to

length.,,Never done it myself so can't comment much on that escapade..

Edited by Horri

Threads are probably stripped in the tensioner. Kind of a pita to pull down and helicoil/timesert but it's what should be done.

Edited by valvesrule

So does the tensioner assy slip out the top by the camshaft once I undo those two bolts?

I haven't worked on the old 50s in a while but I think you have to pull the cam out to get the tensioner out. It's getting real tough to find parts for them so I don't even try to fix them for people anymore. Best move, find a parts bike and stash it away for later consumption. Seen 3 running 82 XL500s this week. They are still around.

So I took out the tensioner and fixed the threads but the guide is cracked -- plan is to build my own guide out of plastic? or what material should I build it with? -- Im having trouble picturing how the tensioner works so do I need more bow in the one I make or does it need springyness? -- thanks for any suggestions

I don't know how you'd go building one..I'd guess the good material to use would be UHMWPE plastic..although I

don't know how it'd handle high temperatures..Google the uhmwpe..It is generally used to make the guides the chain runs

on along the swigarm..It's great for them but not easy to bend about as it's pretty solid stuff. Actually sounds like a job for

one of those new fangled 3D printer things they make these days..It wouldn't be cheap I'd imagine as the thing needs to

maybe flex a bit,,bit of an unknown material those internal camchain guides.,,sort of a plastic but with something else added to it

Edited by Horri