200 EXC Help

Hey everyone

I'm looking to get a new bike some time soon, i have a little riding experience, not very much. I had a crf100f when i was a kid and I just bought a KLX 250s last year and quickly realized the bike was not quite what i was looking for. The bike was absolutely great to learn on again just to get the feel for driving on dirt and rocks, but its no dirtbike. I have never even sat on a 2 stroke before, and i have never been on a high performance 4 stroke, the KLX is the only bike i have ever really done any offroading with.

I do a lot of riding on really really loose gravel, bigger rocks, mud, and water. Trails have tons of ruts. I have been doing alright on the KLX, and i can get what i want done on it for the most part, but its really not easy, the bike is 280 lbs-ish, and it has a serious lack of power. the bike is not confidence inspiring at all and i would like a more powerful & lighter bike. I do ride fairly slowly with short bursts of speed, but overall im not the fastest rider around, i would like a bike that i can lug around without it being to much of a handful.

So im looking at bikes to buy and i come across the KTM 200 EXC. Here are my Questions

1. I know maintenance is easier/cheaper/ with the 2 strokes, but are oil changes and all that good stuff less frequent? 

2. Can this bike be lugged around? will lugging it too often screw up the engine or any parts?

3. How much of a punch does the powerband have? is it easy to get yourself into trouble on a tight trail or on bigger rocks if you are inexperienced?  

4. Overall, is this a good "first" offroad bike? I often see reviews where people call the bikes Angry little things, they seriously cant be THAT bad... can they?

I'm willing to learn the bike inside out before i start pushing my luck, id like to gain serious offroading skills. when im home i ride almost every morning before lunch, i cant get enough of it. i will not be racing the bike or competing at all, this is 100% just for trails and mucking around with. 22 years old, 6'2", 190 lbs.

Thanks 

Edited by Trev-o

I'm with High Society, if it can be had for a good price jump on it. I ride an 05 200 EXC and love it, came off of a 300. The 200 is a very nimble machine that has all kinds of power, best part about it is you can adjust how the power comes on to whatever you like. I am an aggresive rider and like the white knuckle hit so my 200 is set up to smile in your face and kick you in the nuts when you rock the throttle. oh by the way, I'm 53 years old, 5.10" and weigh 220 and this bike takes me anywhere I point it, no lack of power at all.

I'm with High Society, if it can be had for a good price jump on it. I ride an 05 200 EXC and love it, came off of a 300. The 200 is a very nimble machine that has all kinds of power, best part about it is you can adjust how the power comes on to whatever you like. I am an aggresive rider and like the white knuckle hit so my 200 is set up to smile in your face and kick you in the nuts when you rock the throttle. oh by the way, I'm 53 years old, 5.10" and weigh 220 and this bike takes me anywhere I point it, no lack of power at all.

Thanks! great info everyone. Is it easy to adjust the power? once you adjust it do you usually have to compensate by adjusting something else? i will be buying the bike new, here where i live it costs about 8400

Hey everyone

I'm looking to get a new bike some time soon, i have a little riding experience, not very much. I had a crf100f when i was a kid and I just bought a KLX 250s last year and quickly realized the bike was not quite what i was looking for. The bike was absolutely great to learn on again just to get the feel for driving on dirt and rocks, but its no dirtbike. I have never even sat on a 2 stroke before, and i have never been on a high performance 4 stroke, the KLX is the only bike i have ever really done any offroading with.

I do a lot of riding on really really loose gravel, bigger rocks, mud, and water. Trails have tons of ruts. I have been doing alright on the KLX, and i can get what i want done on it for the most part, but its really not easy, the bike is 280 lbs-ish, and it has a serious lack of power. the bike is not confidence inspiring at all and i would like a more powerful & lighter bike. I do ride fairly slowly with short bursts of speed, but overall im not the fastest rider around, i would like a bike that i can lug around without it being to much of a handful.

So im looking at bikes to buy and i come across the KTM 200 EXC. Here are my Questions

1. I know maintenance is easier/cheaper/ with the 2 strokes, but are oil changes and all that good stuff less frequent? 

2. Can this bike be lugged around? will lugging it too often screw up the engine or any parts?

3. How much of a punch does the powerband have? is it easy to get yourself into trouble on a tight trail or on bigger rocks if you are inexperienced?  

4. Overall, is this a good "first" offroad bike? I often see reviews where people call the bikes Angry little things, they seriously cant be THAT bad... can they?

I'm willing to learn the bike inside out before i start pushing my luck, id like to gain serious offroading skills. when im home i ride almost every morning before lunch, i cant get enough of it. i will not be racing the bike or competing at all, this is 100% just for trails and mucking around with. 22 years old, 6'2", 190 lbs.

Thanks 

1. Oil changes every few rides, not too heavy maintenance wise

2. YES! won't effect the engine. So long as your jetting is good you can lug 'em all day. Maximum luggage is possible, luggability is high.

3. If you grab silly amounts of throttle where you shouldn't it can throw you, especially in rocky or slippery areas I find. But small amounts too much or honest mistakes it will not punish you

4. The modern ones aren't angry. People who call them angry must be riding it like a 125. In this case it delivers more power and particularly more torque than a 125, so I suppose would feel angry.

Lug it and power delivery is electric smooth.

Thanks! great info everyone. Is it easy to adjust the power? once you adjust it do you usually have to compensate by adjusting something else? i will be buying the bike new, here where i live it costs about 8400

I haven't needed to.

http://www.perthtrailscene.com/forum/power-valve-adjustment-t3895.html

I'd like a second 200 with a close ratio gearbox and more aggressive power delivery, for MX racing, my current one (totally stock) is perfect for trails and enduro.