Sign in to follow this  

2006 KDX200

Hey guys, new to the forum and I suck at navigating so I apologize if this is already a thread. Anyway:

My names Johnny, I'm from NJ and I ride the Pine Barons weekly. My DR recently fried and it was time to say goodbye and move on. With the luck of God as soon as I opened Craigslist a 2006 KDX200 caught my eye. It only had 5 hours on it from a wife rider that dropped it and never went back! Been sitting since 2010 I've been told. After I make sure everything is in check and balanced (piston, rings, suspension, Trans, etc, etc.) I will be looking into a few performance parts. I was going to run no airbox lid, to a wet UNI air filter, to a Boyesen rad valve, to a FMF Gnarly Rev pipe, to a Turbinecore 2 silencer. Does anybody have any knowledge on if these parts are a good setup and also once I install these parts what jets should I run? Keep in mind I'll be in the pine barons of NJ so practically sea level. Thanks guys! Keep Roostin'

Here is a picture if you are curious.ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1397940211.569652.jpg

My buddy ran basically that same setup on his 2001 220. What he did for jetting was call up JD and get the kit. It was kind of spendy at $100 or so but SOOO easy to get that bike right on the money. It ripped twice as hard but kept all the bottom end.

Post up on http://www.kdxrider.net/forums/index.php?sid=c046a34ec8fac151a69365af281cd2cc to see other KDX forums, this is a BIG site.

Thanks fst96se! And awesome! Thanks for the input sandlvr69! I'll definitely be looking into those jets now. It says $66 on his website so that is surely a possibility to buy. And that forum should also be a huge help! Thanks a lot! I understand this isn't a race bike, but I'm just looking to get it to wake up a little! Haha

• Like 1

The forks are way to soft on these bikes, the first thing to do is get springs. You have the basics covered for engine mods, get a weisco pro light to replace the original cast piston they're prone to cracking. Cr high bend bars, and tall seat foam- I think ceet makes one- will fix the ergonomics. Then replace the chain, sprockets, slider, rollers, and guide, I believe I had 13:50 that worked pretty good for technical riding.

Check out http://dirtrider.net/justkdx/

Edited by Tommyk_55

Now that is a mouthful! Thanks TommyK_55! But why CR high bend bars? I was looking at Renthal 7/8 Enduro bend. Any reasoning? I'd love to learn! and for the seat I'm just going to keep that stock until I have everything modified, THEN I will start perfecting said modifications. I'm already looking at a $1100 bill ontop of the bike hahaha. Not even including the chain/sprocket modifications you listed. Once I'm done I will most likely be 5K in this bike by the time I'm done. I don't need all of those fancy head and jug mods because I know I won't be able to use all of the power... The bike shifts too much. As for the forks that is another interesting thing I have not looked into. I'm looking to do both dual sports and enduros on the bike, but I am a little guy. Fully geared I'm probably 165. Would it still be soft? Thanks!

Hey guys, new to the forum and I suck at navigating so I apologize if this is already a thread. Anyway:

My names Johnny, I'm from NJ and I ride the Pine Barons weekly. My DR recently fried and it was time to say goodbye and move on. With the luck of God as soon as I opened Craigslist a 2006 KDX200 caught my eye. It only had 5 hours on it from a wife rider that dropped it and never went back! Been sitting since 2010 I've been told. After I make sure everything is in check and balanced (piston, rings, suspension, Trans, etc, etc.) I will be looking into a few performance parts. I was going to run no airbox lid, to a wet UNI air filter, to a Boyesen rad valve, to a FMF Gnarly Rev pipe, to a Turbinecore 2 silencer. Does anybody have any knowledge on if these parts are a good setup and also once I install these parts what jets should I run? Keep in mind I'll be in the pine barons of NJ so practically sea level. Thanks guys! Keep Roostin'

Here is a picture if you are curious.attachicon.gifImageUploadedByThumper Talk1397940211.569652.jpg

You've got the basics covered. You'll end up with (depending on elevation and weather) a 45-48 pilot and a 155-160 main.You'll also want an 1174 needle, the stock needle is too rich in the straight section.

​No need to replace the piston if the bike only has 5 hours on it. The 200 piston is fine, it's the 220 piston that is fatally flawed.

You'll want different fork springs, the suspension is horribly unbalanced from the factory. The rear is sprung for about a 175 pound rider while the front is sprung for about a 135 pound rider, the forks will ride around at half-mast all the time with a typical adult male rider.

Congrats on the bike. If properly cared for, most KDX200 engines run for 200-300 hours before ever needing to be opened, they are durable as anvils.

• Like 1

Thanks Chokey! Everybody is really helping me out in this! So I guess I will have to crack open the forks. Anybody have any idea how much these upgraded springs will run me? And hopefully she is built to last! Haha I love 2 strokes, so easy to maintain... Just a pain to get perfect, but once it's done it's done! I'm glad that my performance upgrade choices haven't gotten shot down too! Haha I'm going to put up my list if upgrades and see if anybody has any input as well! Thanks!

Fully geared I'm probably 165. Would it still be soft? Thanks!

Not only will the forks still be too soft, but (I know you don't want to hear this) the shock spring will be too stiff for you.

For your weight you'll want .38kg/mm fork springs and a 4.8kg/mm shock spring to balance the suspension.

Very happy I chose this bike! As well as choosing a knowledgeable forum! Thank you everybody for your help! Here is my modification list. Remember: as time goes on I will be able to do more but for now this is what I am looking at.

1.Renthal 7/8" Enduro bend bars black

2.Progrip 709 grips black/green

3.MSR Bark Busters black

4.ASV clutch lever maybe brake as well black

5. UNI air filter

6. Airbox mod

7. Boyesen rad valve

8. JD jetting jets

9. FMF Gnarly Desert (rev) pipe

10. FMF Turbinecore 2

11. Pirelli MT16 tires

Soon to list

1. Fork springs

2. Seat foam

3. Chain, sprockets, rollers, sliders, guide

LiamRM212 the bike needs a complete flush it's been sitting for 4 years. The previous owner never even cleaned the mud out of the footpeg after she dropped it in 2010. I'll be getting engine ice coolant, gear saver gear oil, chain/bushing lube, and grease for the bearings. I would love if anybody has preferences on what to run. I usually just buy standard stuff but would love for my machine to fell as good as I do when I ride it!

Edited by KDX_Johnny

Very happy I chose this bike! As well as choosing a knowledgeable forum! Thank you everybody for your help! Here is my modification list. Remember: as time goes on I will be able to do more but for now this is what I am looking at.

1.Renthal 7/8" Enduro bend bars black

2.Progrip 709 grips black/green

3.MSR Bark Busters black

4.ASV clutch lever maybe brake as well black

5. UNI air filter

6. Airbox mod

7. Boyesen rad valve

8. JD jetting jets

9. FMF Gnarly Desert (rev) pipe

10. FMF Turbinecore 2

11. Pirelli MT16 tires

Soon to list

1. Fork springs

2. Seat foam

3. Chain, sprockets, rollers, sliders, guide

The list sounds good.

I do want to question one thing though, why did you decide on the Desert pipe? What kind of conditions do you ride in? If you ride in a lot of tight technical trails with a lot of elevation changes you'll probably be happier with the Woods pipe.

Chokey, I was told that since I have been riding for quite a while now, and I like to keep the bike in the higher rpm band I would be better off with the desert pipe. I was also told that the rev pipe is the master if the sand (where I do most of my riding) also since the Boyesen rad valve should add some low end grunt, I don't want all torque. I would love to be able to enjoy some form of a power band instead of shifting all the time. But this is only what I have been told! And not experienced myself. Do you have any input for me? I am quite the experienced rider so if I would happen to be in a tight situation some revving and clutch feathering should not be a problem. But please! Let me know! I'm on the forums to learn!

Edited by KDX_Johnny

LiamRM212 the bike needs a complete flush it's been sitting for 4 years. The previous owner never even cleaned the mud out of the footpeg after she dropped it in 2010. I'll be getting engine ice coolant, gear saver gear oil, chain/bushing lube, and grease for the bearings. I would love if anybody has preferences on what to run. I usually just buy standard stuff but would love for my machine to fell as good as I do when I ride it!

Engine Ice is good stuff, but pricey. Peak will work just fine. Any anti-freeze will work as long as you make sure to use silicate-free formulas.

For tranny oil, I prefer Type F ATF. On a KDX200, just dump the whole quart in, it helps to quiet down the infamous "KIPS" rattle.

I use Bel Ray waterproof grease, but any brand will do as long as it's waterproof. I do prefer a heavy-bodied grease though.

Chain lube, whatever's locally available to you, as long as it's a drying lubricant. Eventually you'll want an o-ring chain anyway, they last far longer when riding in wet conditions.

Chokey, I was told that since I have been riding for quite a while now, and I like to keep the bike in the higher rpm band I would be better off with the desert pipe. I was also told that the rev pipe is the master if the sand (where I do most of my riding) also since the Boyesen rad valve should add some low end grunt, I don't want all torque. I would love to be able to enjoy some form of a power band instead of shifting all the time. But this is only what I have been told! And not experienced myself. Do you have any input for me? I am quite the quite riding so if I would happen to be in a tight situation some revving and clutch feathering should not be a problem. But please! Let me know! I'm on the forums to learn!

For the type of riding you describe, it sounds like the Desert pipe will be the better choice. It still has plenty of low-end grunt.  :thumbsup:

Thanks Dirtsmoker250! I had the opportunity and I pounced on it, the seller told me he had 20 plus emails right after mine. But he was a stand up guy and waited for me! Even when other buyers were offering $300 over his asking price. I thanked him about 50 times when I was loading it into my truck hahaha

Nice bike and a good seller too.  Sounds like a craigslist win.  It's also nice when you talk to sellers who are honest good people.  I had a guy that lived two hours away wait a week for me to come check out his bike because I was the first to call him about it and needed a few days to get the money together and tie up a few loose ends.  He said he received several calls during that time but thought I was a honest guy and he trusted when I said I am really into this bike, will have cash, and bring a trailer. 

For every 1 good craigslist experience I have 2 or 3 bad experiences so it is nice when you actually get what you want, for the right price, and everything works out smoothly.