Sign in to follow this  

OE sumo wheels VS Warp 9's

Looking to pick up a set of dedicated road wheels and i just wanted to clarify the differences between them. Cost aside, what is the better setup? I'm looking for ease of change since i'll probably be swapping them once a week.  I've read that OE suzuki sumo wheels change easily but i haven't heard anything about the warp 9's. i cant imagine that its much more difficult but i figured i'd ask. Common question i know, but i did search and didn't find any direct answers. 

The warp 9's will not work with the speedo drive, so you will need a trail tech vapor or something like it. Also the rear hub is actually a ktm hub so you will have to get a ktm rear sprocket (the bearings will be different as well). Other than that I don't think there are any other significant differences.

I have a set of warp 9 complete with sprockets and also running a vapor dash so no speedo issues for me I have an e model so it was needed but swapping between trail tires and warp 9's takes about 15 minutes if that just slap the wheels on and caliper relocation bracket

I prefer something with the OEM hubs... Weather that be OEM wheels or the SM pro's that Wheeling Cycle sells. With the OEM hubs I just run S rotors on both wheels no need to Dick around with relocation brackets and pulling calipers off. I was not a fan of constantly removing bolts from aluminum relocation brackets after time I would think the treads would loosen up from constant on off. S rotors in my opinion are plenty adequate to run on the SM rims, I figure if they can lock up the rear or stoppie with the front they are good enough for buzzing around town. I went with the S rotors because my primary desire for the bike is off road.

• Like 1

I plan on doing the exact same thing as you Dr.D. Is there any way to make S speedo drive work as well? I don't want to use a vaportech as long as my OEM speedo keeps working. 

I plan on doing the exact same thing as you Dr.D. Is there any way to make S speedo drive work as well? I don't want to use a vaportech as long as my OEM speedo keeps working. 

As long as you have hubs that work with the OE speedo drive (OEM or SM Pro, there may be a few others) you won't have to get a trail tech vapor or something like it. You will need the SM speedo drive though, otherwise the speedo will not read the correct speed.

Edited by Wisconsinite762
  • Like 1

The Speedo drive will work provided you use OEM hubs. You will need to decide what mode you want an accurate reading (street/dirt) then use either the S or SM drive. If you choose the SM drive your speed will read accurate on the street but off a bit in the dirt unless you swap drives back and forth. I would just set it up for street accuracy and deal with it being off in the dirt.

P.S. nice bimmer in the avatar

Edited by Dr. D

Hm. I've been wanting a bike that's more road friendly for commuting to school which is 40 miles of highway in each direction.  I was debating going Sumo on the DRZ but i'm still thinking about using the wheel money as a down payment on a new bike that will be my road dedicated bike while the DRZ stays my local and trail bike.

Regardless, Thanks for answering my questions! It seems straight forward but when it's all said and done it will be close to 2000 just for a set of wheels and tires and all the associated bits to make it worth 100%. Plus i don't think the DRZ will have enough power to keep me entertained on the street and i have no intentions of modding it power wise.

Hm. I've been wanting a bike that's more road friendly for commuting to school which is 40 miles of highway in each direction. I was debating going Sumo on the DRZ but i'm still thinking about using the wheel money as a down payment on a new bike that will be my road dedicated bike while the DRZ stays my local and trail bike.

Regardless, Thanks for answering my questions! It seems straight forward but when it's all said and done it will be close to 2000 just for a set of wheels and tires and all the associated bits to make it worth 100%. Plus i don't think the DRZ will have enough power to keep me entertained on the street and i have no intentions of modding it power wise.

Check the classifieds I got my OEM SM set up for $600 with new tires and all the other necessary stuff (sprockets, rotors, hardware) for $250 from Forrest at wheeling cycle. So $850 for the whole setup and the rims were like new.

Check the classifieds I got my OEM SM set up for $600 with new tires and all the other necessary stuff (sprockets, rotors, hardware) for $250 from Forrest at wheeling cycle. So $850 for the whole setup and the rims were like new.

That IMO is a good deal.

I just put some oem sumo wheels on me bike,  dont know about warp 9's,  but i always prefer oem stuff. 

That IMO is a good deal.

I just put some oem sumo wheels on me bike, dont know about warp 9's, but i always prefer oem stuff.

Yes Sir, can't beat $600 for new condition wheels with brand new tires (25 miles still had nubs and chicken strips). The $250 was all new stuff... white rear fender a rear 39 tooth JT sprocket, Zeta S rotors and a Zeta front sprocket guard.

• Like 1

what do you guys think of this. I found two excel black wheels with gold hubs. 320mm roater and braket new supermoto fender.

tires look ok. he wants 1500 obo. im thinking about offering a 1000. how does this sound. its a lot of money and just hope I like it. I read a few post where people regret going supermoto but im 100% street. 

thanks

Edited by ripping r

what do you guys think of this. I found two excel black wheels with gold hubs. 320mm roater and braket new supermoto fender.

tires look ok. he wants 1500 obo. im thinking about offering a 1000. how does this sound. its a lot of money and just hope I like it. I read a few post where people regret going supermoto but im 100% street.

thanks

Depends... Do they come with tires, are the tires shot or low miles? Are the rims true, any scratches? If your not swapping back and forth a brand new set of Warp9 can be had all set up ready to ride sprocket rotors Michelin pilot tires for $1380.00 to your door. There are other options as we'll I just don't know first hand what the OTD price is with those. Be careful with used SM set ups lots of trashed sets that people beat the crap out of off road. There's a set on EBay that's hammered (you can see he sharpies all the scratches) lipstick on a pig!!! and the guy wants $950 + shipping

Depends... Do they come with tires, are the tires shot or low miles? Are the rims true, any scratches? If your not swapping back and forth a brand new set of Warp9 can be had all set up ready to ride sprocket rotors Michelin pilot tires for $1380.00 to your door. There are other options as we'll I just don't know first hand what the OTD price is with those. Be careful with used SM set ups lots of trashed sets that people beat the crap out of off road. There's a set on EBay that's hammered (you can see he sharpies all the scratches) lipstick on a pig!!! and the guy wants $950 + shipping

yes there ready to go. he both sets dirt and sm. now wants to stay in dirt mode. the problem with warp 9's is I cant use my factory spedo and I do not want to change it. ebay I would not touch with something like this. these I can at least see in person.

In my opinion 1500 is steep for a set of used wheels. I'd be at $900 absolute max and only if cherry condition with really good tires that's me though. I didn't know Suzuki hubs ever came in gold?

these are them .maybe there not what he says they are?

00g0g_6CVY2d35SqA_600x450.jpg

Edited by ripping r

Hm. I've been wanting a bike that's more road friendly for commuting to school which is 40 miles of highway in each direction.  I was debating going Sumo on the DRZ but i'm still thinking about using the wheel money as a down payment on a new bike that will be my road dedicated bike while the DRZ stays my local and trail bike.

Yeah like Dr.D said check the classifieds, and do it often because a set of SM wheels for a decent price will get scooped up quick. I got my SM wheels for $800, this included everything Warp 9 wheels, Conti-Force SM tires, 320mm front rotor and relocation bracket, rear rotor and 44T rear sprocket. I decided to get a smaller 40T rear sprocket and a shorter chain so that was another $100. So that make $900 and the wheels and tires had less than 800 miles on them.

Those look to be in great shape. I didn't know the OEM hubs came in gold but they may have :thumbsup: . Tires look pretty good too. I still think $1500 is way steep I would offer $850 and see if you can get a counter offer closer to $1000. People think these wheels are worth 1 million dollars just because that's what salvage yards are trying to get for them on ebay. I don't know maybe I'm out of touch with reality but I would say $900-1000 is fair price for a set of used wheels in cherry shape like those appear to be. Price out SM pro's through wheeling they use the OEM hubs and that would give you a better judgment on what you want to pay for a used set.

Those look to be in great shape. I didn't know the OEM hubs came in gold but they may have :thumbsup: . Tires look pretty good too. I still think $1500 is way steep I would offer $850 and see if you can get a counter offer closer to $1000. People think these wheels are worth 1 million dollars just because that's what salvage yards are trying to get for them on ebay. I don't know maybe I'm out of touch with reality but I would say $900-1000 is fair price for a set of used wheels in cherry shape like those appear to be. Price out SM pro's through wheeling they use the OEM hubs and that would give you a better judgment on what you want to pay for a used set.

will do. I'v been on wheeling's sit a lot making a wish list. 850 to 1000 I would feel good about. just don't want something that's ben tore up.

Edited by ripping r
  • Like 1