Sign in to follow this  

Highway riding

just wondering how many of you do serious highway riding with the 250. I haven't ridden mine on the street yet, but it seems like it would get pushed around on the highway. also, does it keep up with the flow of traffic, doing 65-70? I am putting SM wheels and pilot power radials on it so that will help.

• Like 1

It does a great job on back road highways with plenty of trees that block the wind .... jump on the interstate and you feel like you're on a moped ... :blink: ... lol

And I'm sure that applies to any light small bore bike.

I love the back road town to town bar hopping trips ... :p

im not a experience rider at all but i am trying…. breaking in my first bike (crf250L) been doing a lotve long riding latly so far 400 miles bone stock except for my suspension so i jumped on the highway for the first time ever today! wow it felt crazy fun! went from San Jose to Gilroy CA about 30 miles it seemed like forever! and to be honest i really wanted to get off :lol:  i felt i lacked speed i was pushing 69-70 on the far right lane cars passing me….need to work on modding my gearing to keep up i guess :thinking:   plus the wind was pushing me around scary shit  :shocked: i only weigh 135  :lol:

• Like 2

im not a experience rider at all but i am trying…. breaking in my first bike (crf250L) been doing a lotve long riding latly so far 400 miles bone stock except for my suspension so i jumped on the highway for the first time ever today! wow it felt crazy fun! went from San Jose to Gilroy CA about 30 miles it seemed like forever! and to be honest i really wanted to get off :lol: i felt i lacked speed i was pushing 69-70 on the far right lane cars passing me….need to work on modding my gearing to keep up i guess :thinking: plus the wind was pushing me around scary shit :shocked: i only weigh 135 :lol:

San Jose to Gilroy? You're not that far from me. Hour and a half or so. I used to work in Fremont but live in Manteca. That commute is why I started riding. I used to ride to San Jose often. No so much now though.

To original post, it'll do highway. I prefer backroad highways and not outright freeways, but it'll do it for sure.

Edited by Old Goat Ninja
  • Like 1

sorry i forgot to mention highway speeds our 70mph lol … thats sweet Goat i work out there sometimes! we got a job tomorrow in Menlo Park a lil drive! :facepalm:

Most people on here will tell to to change to 13 42 sprockets and you will gain a higher top speed. I have 13 42 and the fastest I have been able to get is 73 but when it was stock gearing I could easily do 75. I live in Atwater, ca and not that to far from Manteca, ca

Just say this is the way I have found it to be not wanting to start a fight about it

Edited by alazydad
  • Like 3

Also with 13 42 the vibrations of the high over revving motor get to you after about 30 min of freeway driving. I just spent about 9 hours and 200 plus on and off road riding on my bike toady so trust me my butt is talking here.

Edited by alazydad
  • Like 1

just wondering how many of you do serious highway riding with the 250. I haven't ridden mine on the street yet, but it seems like it would get pushed around on the highway. also, does it keep up with the flow of traffic, doing 65-70? I am putting SM wheels and pilot power radials on it so that will help.

New rider so take this with a grain of salt.

I found that reaching and keeping a true 65-70MPH is not a problem (EJK, minor air intake updates, exhaust with ~160lb rider).

The occasional problem at  (true) 65-70MPH for me were (1.) the wind buffeting me around and (2.) front wheel shimmy. The latter happened on only 1 ride and has not happened ever since. Not sure why it went away. Tire PSI (I read) can also be a factor; mine is currently at 20psi rear and 18 psi front.

So for me, keeping 65-70 is not a problem (if I don't get run over in the slow lane by grandma), but wind buffeting can get tiresome for me after 30 miles. (I sometimes feel like a kite lol). 

• Like 2

Most people on here will tell to to change to 13 42 sprockets and you will gain a higher top speed. I have 13 42 and the fastest I have been able to get is 73 but when it was stock gearing I could easily do 75. I live in Atwater, ca and not that to far from Manteca, ca

Just say this is the way I have found it to be not wanting to start a fight about it

Maybe weight and size has something to do with it. For me, my bike couldn't overcome the stock gearing and 6th gear was completely useless. Bike actually started slowing down in 6th with stock gearing. I'm 6'3" and 225-230 lbs. So not only am I kind of heavy, my height makes me a giant parachute on the bike.

Point is, you very well could be right and the stock gearing is better for you for freeway stints. You are not the first person to say that either. For me 13/42 is better, but obviously that isn't true for everyone.

Edited by Old Goat Ninja
  • Like 2

so glad to hear this. my bike lives an hour away from my house at my boyfriends and I'm glad that it sounds like she'll be fine. I'm only 115 pounds too. I can also hop on and off the highway so it'll shorten the trip.

Edited by 657pinkKTM
  • Like 2

I recently took mine on a highway journey (probably 160 miles round trip) and didn't have any trouble. 70 - 75 mph interstate much of the way and it handled well. I'm 5' 11" and 185 pounds. When I got off the interstate and onto the county highways 55 felt very slow lol.

• Like 2

i ride a lot of highway during the summer, about 47 miles per trip to the cape. the bike dosnt handle to to bad. i do notice i get moved around a lot if a big gust of wind comes my way, granted im only 5'8 125lbs. ive maxed the bike out at 73-75. ive taken the 250l out on major interstates and it handles well.. again i get tossed around... im small  :lol:

• Like 1

Remember Please that you are INVISABLE to the people driving cages--don't ask how i know this ok??? :banghead::facepalm::banghead:

• Like 3

thank you and yes, USMCVet, it's sad. all you can do is ride defensively, and with the mentality that everyone wants to run you over... learned that the CRF has a very sharp horn though!

• Like 2

all you can do is ride defensively, and with the mentality that everyone wants to run you over... 

You are absolutely correct with this way of thinking ...  :thumbsup:  I also believe there is no such thing as a traffic law or right of way when you are on a motorcycle ... it is all about not getting hit ....  :ride:

• Like 1

i ride a lot of highway during the summer, about 47 miles per trip to the cape. the bike dosnt handle to to bad. i do notice i get moved around a lot if a big gust of wind comes my way, granted im only 5'8 125lbs. ive maxed the bike out at 73-75. ive taken the 250l out on major interstates and it handles well.. again i get tossed around... im small :lol:

cape as in, cape cod?! damn, that would be a fun trip! I'm about 4 hours from there, so I'll have to look into that.
  • Like 1

i put on 8700 miles last season on the crf...  i commute 80-90 miles a day. 5 days a week. rain or shine...  you can look at my sig. to see what mods i have done...  on the parkway i hold 70-80mph for 3/4 of my ride... my speedo is correct and i use a gps sometimes to check...   i can cruise at 70-75mph comfortably...  i max out around 85. so i have about 10mph to play with...  i can pass a car at those speeds, just not like on a sport bike of course...  i have no fears and feel stable and in control 99% of the time... lol   some serious cross winds after overpasses or bridges will wake you up every now and then...  hahaha...

but all that babble being said, the bike can run at 70 mph with stage 1 no problems...  i have now over 9000 miles to prove it...  my valves were checked by honda... i know, i should have did it, but just didn't have the time... or the will... lol... but the mechanic said the intake valves were on the higher side of what they should be, so he re shimmed them... he did comment that everything looked great and that the bike was in tip top shape...  

enjoy the ride!

• Like 5

I have to ride highway briefly (about 5 miles) when leaving my neighborhood to go find the trails.  :ride:  It's always my least fun part of the ride.  I really prefer low to mid gears off road over street which is why I have this bike.  I don't ride the interstates at all.  I find that anything over about 55mph really starts getting me wind blown if I ride it long periods of time.  I'm about 165-170lbs and 6ft0in.  When on the highway at speeds above 55mph the cross winds can cause a wiggle or two on the bike and I sometimes wish it were heavier.  When off roading and I'm trying to jerk the bars around like a BMX bike in the trails and woody areas I sometimes wish it were lighter.  Ahhhh the life on a dual sport.   :excuseme:

• Like 3

I dont ever wish mine was heavier!!  I gues I just take getting blown around as an everyday thing.  Living in Wyoming you have to get used to the wind, and when its not blowing you stop for a second to try to figure out whats wrong hahaha!

• Like 1