Sign in to follow this  

Looking to buy a 2013 wr450f

Right now I have an 06 crf450r and I love the power and the delivery. The bike feels real light and nimble which I love. The crf450r it's extremely rider friendly. I'm worried that the wr won't have the snap that my crf has and I'm also worried that the wr will feel heavy. The dealer near me has crazy deals that are hard to pass up for the 2013 that's the only reason I considering it. Any thoughts? I ride mostly north Jersey Rocky woods

I rode a 2014 WR450f.  It did feel bulky and heavy but I'm used to two strokes.  I rode it right after I rode a YZ450f.  The power was really nice on the WR.  Great power and very smooth.  Not really a hard hitting bike but it was fast for sure.  I would see if Yamaha is doing any demo days around you and go out and try one.  I liked the bike but it was too heavy and bulky for my taste.  Felt a lot like my crf450x.

Stock, no it will feel slow compared to your CRF. But with a little work the bike will be every bit as good if not better. The bike doesn't feel nearly as heavy as it should. The 250f chassis make it feel small. The suspension will be much better and the transmission doesn't have a "gappy" feel which is most common with wide-ratio transmissions. The FI is makes the bike run flawless....

A lot has to do with coming off of a YZ250 which weighs under 230 ready to ride.  So I thought it felt big and bulky but compared to my drz400 it felt very slim and a lot lighter.

For the fuel injected WR450Fs it looks like you need to buy the GYTR tuner, GYTR Competition ECU kit, pull the pea shooter out of the muffler and replace with the GYTR end piece, possibly do airbox modes and I think there a grey wire mod (like on the older models, but I think it is a black wire, that changes the ignition curve).