Sign in to follow this  

Oddly worn front tire

I own a 07 klx 250 and mainly ride it on the road to work. I have one problem, the tire is wearing out odd. I asked a mechanic at dealership and he said its cause I ride wheelies. Except the tire never leaves the ground. This is the second tire to do this. I hope someone can help me on this. Thanks. 

tire.jpg

Edited by Eric Z

Standard for a nobbie on the street. Has nothing to do with wheelies. I recently switched to a MT21 front that is non-directional and plan on trying flipping it early when that wear pattern appears. Don't know how well it will work. That is a 606? Looks like what I used to run.

Mike

I don't know what causes this, but it is common.  I see it on my dual sport bike and my friends.  It happens on many different manufacturers. 

I think they call that cupping. normal for a knobby front on the street.

• Like 1

Every knobby tire I ever ran on the street did this sooner than later. Finally I bought a second set of wheels and run an 80/20 set on the street (Shinko 705s). They wear infinitely better.

Thanks for the help. Yes that is the last time I go to that dealership. If you have no clue just say I'm not sure,

tough to do with the bead locks

I never thought about that....I'm guessing that's why they cup as they wear.

does anyone balance knobbies on their dual sports?

Absolutly!!! Always!

does anyone balance knobbies on their dual sports?

Balancing can make a huge difference when riding on pavement. One time I thought I had bent my front wheel hitting a rock in the woods. Everything checked out OK so I decided to balance the wheels. After balancing, I no longer had the wheel hop I felt in the handle bars when riding on pavement. I also agree with the others who said braking contributes to the wear pattern and it is normal. I once ran a set of Avon Distanzia (more of a street type tire) tires on my supermoto and the front tire developed the same type of wear although the tire was not a knobby tire.

I only balance my DS tires if they're annoyingly bad.  And OP, you must your front brakes as a (good) habit.  The more you use them, the more you'd see that type of wear.  I use my front brakes a LOT off road and try to keep it in mind to not use them much at all on road sections to save all those nice sharp edges.

Almost all breaking force is at the front. This is particularly important on road.

Mike

I use the front brake 100% of the time. This is from my old road race days. Prolly gonna kill me some day off road.

Still where most of the available braking is. Just have to continually calibrate for traction. Hint, it's much less than asphalt. (sorry, couldn't resist)

Mike