Tire Opinions

Just trying to start up a friendly conversation. Didnt see any threads like this on the first few pages so why not.

What tire sets are individuals loyal to and for what conditions? How long have you used them and why?

For me: Ive always used the Maxxis Rear Maxxcross SI M7312. 

I have gotten great life out of them and been using them for 6-7 years. Easily lasts me a season of riding about 1 time a week for about 5 hours of trail riding in rocks, roots, rivers and tight NW single trails. Also plenty of high speed service and logging roads. Typically runs about 80-90 on sale for the rear. Keep in mind, my previous bike was a KTM 450EXC with plenty torque. 

Edited by meathead13

I ride trils and no mx all over Oklahoma the terrain varies from very sandy to very rocky and a clay mix in between. We have a few areas where the dirt is what we call black land. I have been using Bridgestone M404 and 403 intermediate. Since we are usually dry and needing rain they work really good. They are not good in mud however. They don't clean out. My favorite front tire ever was the Dunlop 742 on the 4 stroke and the Michelin S 12 on a 2 stroke. I can get along with anything on the rear except a trials tire.

Rear: Dunlop Geomax MX51

Front: Michelin Starcross M12

The Dunlop is lightweight and grips well.

The Michelin has more edges, grips and wears well... and I hate to fall.

We have a mixture of medium hard pack, sand, mud and rocks. Sometimes all on the same ride, so I need a tire that is versitile. Some of the guys who ride up in Tennessee us a trials rear for grip on the rocks, but they wear quickly when the speed picks up.

Edited by ronbuell

Just trying to start up a friendly conversation. Didnt see any threads like this on the first few pages so why not.

What tire sets are individuals loyal to and for what conditions? How long have you used them and why?

For me: Ive always used the Maxxis Rear Maxxcross SI M7312.

I have gotten great life out of them and been using them for 6-7 years. Easily lasts me a season of riding about 1 time a week for about 5 hours of trail riding in rocks, roots, rivers and tight NW single trails. Also plenty of high speed service and logging roads. Typically runs about 80-90 on sale for the rear. Keep in mind, my previous bike was a KTM 450EXC with plenty torque.

I notice you said the maxis cost u bout 90 bucks?! I run the maxis intermediate terrain on an 08yz250f and get them for 50 on Rocky Mountain atv website. The trick is to remove your bike filter and buy the 110/80-19 instead of the 110/90-19. The 90 is like u said bout 80 bucks but the 80 is like 50 and on a sale I got it as cheap as 40 once. Don't ask me what the difference is or why it's cheaper but it last just as long, I have no trouble swapping them in n out for races n rides, I just basically get two for the price of one. Thought I would share the info

I notice you said the maxis cost u bout 90 bucks?! I run the maxis intermediate terrain on an 08yz250f and get them for 50 on Rocky Mountain atv website. The trick is to remove your bike filter and buy the 110/80-19 instead of the 110/90-19. The 90 is like u said bout 80 bucks but the 80 is like 50 and on a sale I got it as cheap as 40 once. Don't ask me what the difference is or why it's cheaper but it last just as long, I have no trouble swapping them in n out for races n rides, I just basically get two for the price of one. Thought I would share the info

I'm going to have to look into this. That's great. The tire would be a little shorter and a little narrower

To me tire selection has a lot to do with the dirt and the person riding the bike. Power of the bike can have some influence as well.

Personally I love the Dunlop tires as they are light and at least for me are a good all round MX/Ax tire. Just pick the correct softness/hardness for the dirt your riding in. My son weighs around 130-135 lbs. When he raced we ran the Maxxis SI and IT tires because they were heavier. They actually helped him get better traction under certain circumstances.

Bottom line there are a lot of good tires out there you just have to find what works best for you.

To me tire selection has a lot to do with the dirt and the person riding the bike. Power of the bike can have some influence as well.

Personally I love the Dunlop tires as they are light and at least for me are a good all round MX/Ax tire. Just pick the correct softness/hardness for the dirt your riding in. My son weighs around 130-135 lbs. When he raced we ran the Maxxis SI and IT tires because they were heavier. They actually helped him get better traction under certain circumstances.

Bottom line there are a lot of good tires out there you just have to find what works best for you.

Yep very true, just a conversation starter. Also good for people who have no clue since this part of the forum is dedicated to yz/wr. We should all be similar +/-7hp stock

I have an 18" rear on my Yz 250f which I use for enduro/harescramble and I run a 120 100 18 pirelli xc mid soft with a mousse and it gives great traction, some say the turning is affected but I cant feel a big difference if any at all

Front I favour a Bridgestone M403, second is the Pirelli xc mid soft

For MX I like the bridgestone 403/404 combination that came stock on my YZ.

For off road I've been running a bridgestone M59 front/404 rear on my KTM. The M59 is an old school soft terrain tire that wears like iron. It' got good open tread but the knobs are large and dual comppound (soft outside/hard inside) and don't chunk in rocks.

Now I'm thinking I will try the dunlops. MX32 front/MX52 rear. I like what I've read about them and the MX32 looks a lot like the M59. I ride a lot of sand and loose stuff (desert) on my KTM so a soft terrain tire is best up front.