Sign in to follow this  

Hello Everyone my name is matt, I have a few questions to ask. I'm looking into getting a KDX200 and don't know what items to buy when I get it. 

First I'm looking at different tires. I want a tire good for hard packed dirt, mud and rocks like "shale" which we get a lot where I ride. I like the Michelin combo you can get, I think they're called the MH3? I'm not sure. But just a all around good tire.

Also, what premix should I use which is a good price and well made? I'm only looking into racing Hare Scrambles so I don't need the best stuff on the market. Just something that is high quality and affordable. On another note what engine oil brand should I use which is good? Same thing I want something high quality but affordable.

I am a bit new to everything and appreciate your help. I'm trying to learn the most I can before purchasing a new bike.

I would try and find some local riders and ask them what they are using for your area.

My favorite rear tire is the Dunlop MX51.  It is just a great all around tire with better life then others I have tried.  I use it down here in Georgia where the terrain changes so quickly.  It goes from normal dirt, to mud, then clay, then sand, then rocks, then roots, then dirt so hard it might as well be pavement, then some areas that are actually old pavement.  I've been very happy with it as a tire and will be buying it again for my next tire.

There are lots of opinions on premix.  I run what my local shop sells.  They used to carry Honda HP2 and I liked that a lot but they stopped selling it so I just run Yamalube racing.  I would see what all you can find locally and choose from those.  It is nice knowing you don't have to order it and if your in a hurry you know right where to get it.

For transmission oil I use 4 stroke motor oil 10-40.  I replace it about every 10 hours on my YZ250. 

• Like 1

Wow thank you very much! This really helped. Where I ride the terrain changes every few miles as well. So can I use any brand engine oil? It doesn't really matter

Well I use what my service manual recommends and it just says   Yamalube ...SAE10w-40...Recommended oil grade API services SG type or higher, JASO standard MA.

I believe some people use automatic transmission fluid.

Edited by DirtSmoker250

Hello Everyone my name is matt, I have a few questions to ask. I'm looking into getting a KDX200 and don't know what items to buy when I get it. 

First I'm looking at different tires. I want a tire good for hard packed dirt, mud and rocks like "shale" which we get a lot where I ride. I like the Michelin combo you can get, I think they're called the MH3? I'm not sure. But just a all around good tire.

You aren't going to find a single tire that can handle all of that without compromise. Soft terrain tires don't work on hard pack or in rocks, and hard terrain tires suck in mud and soft dirt. What you'll have to do is determine which of those conditions makes up the majority of your terrain, and choose your tires for that terrain.

Also, what premix should I use which is a good price and well made? I'm only looking into racing Hare Scrambles so I don't need the best stuff on the market. Just something that is high quality and affordable. On another note what engine oil brand should I use which is good? Same thing I want something high quality but affordable.

You'll get 10,000 different opinions on this. All I can tell you is what I run, Yamalube 2R at 32:1. For a KDX doing trail riding you'll be fine at 40:1.

I also highly recommend ATF type F for the transmission. Put the whole quart in, and change it every 10 hours or so.

Edited by Chokey

I'm another ATF guy. Stuff makes for smoother clutch action than any 4 stroke oil I've ever used. As for pre-mix, use whatever is readily available. I use Lucas anymore because it's cheap and I can get it at the O'Reilly's any day of the week. Mixing it at 40:1.

@ Chokey Why put the whole quart in?  That would be 200ml over what the bike calls for.

KDXs are notorious for a bottom-end rattle that comes from the power valve governor. Putting the whole quart in helps to quiet down that rattle.

I also run the entire quart in my KX250. I feel that the additional oil has benefits such as having a greater volume to disperse contaminants from the clutch and etc., improved clutch cooling....

It also keeps me from having oil bottles with a few ounces of oil left in them sitting around in the garage...:D

Edited by Chokey

If no one can answer this I'll have to make a new topic but does anyone no what mx style front fender I could fit on my bike to give it a better look. Like a kx125 one or something

If no one can answer this I'll have to make a new topic but does anyone no what mx style front fender I could fit on my bike to give it a better look. Like a kx125 one or something

Any KX front fender will bolt right on.

They are narrower though, you'll have less protection from mud.

Like a kx125 or 250 and what year?

The 125 and 250 front fenders are the same.

Pick a year, whichever style you like best. They'll all bolt right on, it's just four little bolts under the bottom triple clamp.

KDXs are notorious for a bottom-end rattle that comes from the power valve governor. Putting the whole quart in helps to quiet down that rattle.

I also run the entire quart in my KX250. I feel that the additional oil has benefits such as having a greater volume to disperse contaminants from the clutch and etc., improved clutch cooling....

It also keeps me from having oil bottles with a few ounces of oil left in them sitting around in the garage... :D

I had heard too much oil can build up too much pressure and cause problems.  Is this false?