Sign in to follow this  

KTM 250sxf start problem

i have an 05 KTM 250sxf and i was riding, the bike stalled and it wouldn't start until it cooled off.  So when i took it to the ktm dealer they adjusted the valves, put a new plug in and went through the bike and checked everything. i took it home rode for 10 minutes it ran really well  and i was on the throttle and it stalled out. when it stalled it sounded like someone held the kill switch in and then it wouldnt start back up. i made sure the fuel was on and the choke was off etc. and finally after it cooled off i jump started it and it ran for like 2 mins and the same thing happened but this time it backfire like 3 times and then stalled and now it wont start at all. im going to check if it has spark tonite but does anyone have any ideas what could be wrong? could the coil just fail out of no where or something idk 

i have an 05 KTM 250sxf and i was riding, the bike stalled and it wouldn't start until it cooled off.  So when i took it to the ktm dealer they adjusted the valves, put a new plug in and went through the bike and checked everything. i took it home rode for 10 minutes it ran really well  and i was on the throttle and it stalled out. when it stalled it sounded like someone held the kill switch in and then it wouldnt start back up. i made sure the fuel was on and the choke was off etc. and finally after it cooled off i jump started it and it ran for like 2 mins and the same thing happened but this time it backfire like 3 times and then stalled and now it wont start at all. im going to check if it has spark tonite but does anyone have any ideas what could be wrong? could the coil just fail out of no where or something idk 

there is no spark i just checked

Try replacing the spark plug cap

i ordered a new spark plug cap and coil i hope that fixes it  :banghead:

Its most likely your coil, but start from the plug and test it back.... Remember, when coils heat up, the coating inside breaks down... It gets harder and harder to start everytime it gets heated up. but as ITS CHOOKEN stated test all parts.... don't just replace!!

The coil boot and cap are all fine and i unplugged the killswitch and it still wont start

Is there any way i could tell if the stator or anything are bad

The coil boot and cap are all fine and i unplugged the killswitch and it still wont start

Is there any way i could tell if the stator or anything are bad

Did you replace the plug again? After the dealer did? Edited by Joel Tilford

No i didnt replace the plug again but i looked at it and it is perfect

It's only like 3 bucks, you could save a headache by making sure it's not that plug.

I got it started and i was riding and the fuel screw fell out of the bottom of the carb.. Anyone know the stock setting for it?

Mixture control screw open 1,25.

. N n. Is that 1.25 turns from all the way in?

First you go all the way in. Dont force it. Then 1,25 out. That is the basic where you start to adjust it.

The problem was the plug going into the cdi box there was a loose wire going into the cdi plug