Sign in to follow this  

Had to Start cold, easy when Warm

Hi Everyone,

I'd like to say thanks for all the help recently, you guys have really helped! Recently re-jetted and did o-ring mod. Bike runs great when it's easy to start!

Bike is hard to start cold, but when it finally starts up is very easy to start again after motor is warm. I checked my valve clearances a few months back and everything was fine (was still hard to start.)

With the research I've done, this isn't a valve issue due to it starting easy when warm, is this true?

Could a clogged pilot jet cause this situation?

Thanks for the help!

If it idles normally, it's not the pilot.

It if is hard to start cold, what is your starting procedure:

- choke

- gas on

- do not touch the throttle

- press starter

If it does not start in 3 sec, stop.

Whack the throttle quickly one, two, or three times; which ever turns out to work best for you.

- keep your hands off the throttle

- press starter

- crack throttle as needed to keep running.

You have not divulged your jetting and intake and exhaust tuning

When I get it to turn over it is fine, when warm the bike sounds fine.

My starting procedure is 2-3 blips of the throttle then choke and try to start.

I went from a 158 main jet to a 165, took baffle out of stock exhaut, cut my airbox and did the o-ring mod with thick o-ring.

Could it be the valves still? Should I re-check? Will it starting very easily when warm divert you from valve issues?

What pilot

What needle

What fuel screw

When have you last cleaned your hot start and choke plunger

How do you oil you air cleaner

There are hundreds and hundreds of posts explaining how to tune and jet your bike.

You must follow them completly.

Readt the FAQ jetting thread too.

Thanks for the info...Truthfully I've been having this problem before I Re-jetted. Pretty much half the reason why I re-jetted due to is issue. Thought it would help the bike from running lean and might start easier, which wasn't the case. I put in the Blue needle on the 3rd notch from the top.

Once the bike is started I am extremely pleased with the re-jet situation.

Edited by cardshark_04

I found my bike hard to start cold after my rebuild, readjusting the decompressor fixed the problem

By saying "Blue needle", I assuming you bought a JD Kit.  The blue needle is for cold temps.    What temp are you at when having hard starting?

Chances are, between the using the blue needle and blipping the throttle like you are, your flooding the engine a bit.   It's also possible that you need to adjust the decompressor as MrRong suggested and the motor is not quite turn over as fast as it needs to. There is a separate jet for the choke circuit, but it's rare that it needs to be changed.,

Under normal circumstances with proper jetting, the throttle should remain closed and the bike should start within a few seconds with the choke on.  If it is cold (<60 degrees), then you should whack the throttle 2-3 times, then leave it closed, and start.

So what temps are we talking about?  and what year is your bike?

Jim.

Edited by Jim Dettman

Correction*** Sorry guys, for some reason I said Blue needle (from JD jet kit) I actually meant Red needle. I ride from 25-1500 elevation.

When my intake valves were out of spec it was hard to start warm or cold.  Probably a little bit easier to start warm, but it still didn't want to start.  I have never had to adjust my exhaust valves so I can't say what that will do.

I noticed when I try to kick start cold it's pretty difficult, but if I give the electric start a 2-5 second burst and stop, then try to kick start the bike starts up for a good 5 seconds than stops. This happens only when I give a blimp on the electric start, then kick start it.

Does anyone have an idea why? Could it be my starter?

Stop kick starting it or you will crack your cases. These bikes have a flaw in the cases and kicking them is not the go.

Fix your jetting and push the button!