Sign in to follow this  

Is this spark good? Or is it weak?

Is this spark sufficient?  Everyone says 'fat and blue'.  I can't get my 1988 CR125 to start, and when it does it barely idles for 30 secs then sneezes and dies.  Carb is good.  Coils are expensive for this bike, so want to be sure.

To me it looks weak.  It's tough to tell without actually being there.  But given how dark it is in the shot, I would think it should look a lot more vibrant...

I think it looks good. now you're really confused.

Doesn't really sound like a ignition problem to me, but I'm not an expert.

Mike

Yes, new plug. Also coil checked out per spec in manual as far as resistance Can it still be bad? Ill get better longer video of spark.

The spark looks good to me, but I have seen others with a stronger bolt.  Have you tried using a different plug, say like an iridium type which is a bit pricey, but a good plug?  Give us more details on exactly what went down.  I mean, say like you woke up one day and the bike started doing this, or say you worked on it and then this happened. It really sounds to me like carb problems and not so much spark. But the coil might need replacing.  Just because you get spark while testing it as you turn the engine is a lot different than when the motor is revving at a certain RPM.  Your coil might be going out after it warms up or goes into a higher RPM.  And coils are really not expensive unless I'm missing something here.  You're looking at just under $30 on eBay for a coil new.  :devil:

Not a bad idea to make sure your fuel screw isn't turned in or out way too much.

Edited by DirtSmoker250

The spark looks good to me, but I have seen others with a stronger bolt. Have you tried using a different plug, say like an iridium type which is a bit pricey, but a good plug? Give us more details on exactly what went down. I mean, say like you woke up one day and the bike started doing this, or say you worked on it and then this happened. It really sounds to me like carb problems and not so much spark. But the coil might need replacing. Just because you get spark while testing it as you turn the engine is a lot different than when the motor is revving at a certain RPM. Your coil might be going out after it warms up or goes into a higher RPM. And coils are really not expensive unless I'm missing something here. You're looking at just under $30 on eBay for a coil new. :devil:

Iridium plugs don't fire better, they just last longer
  • Like 1

Iridium plugs don't fire better, they just last longer

Thanks for the tip.  I bought one and only one (too pricey for my blood) for my CR500 and it's it's 30th hour run time.  Figured if it lasted that long it would at least have a have a better spark.  I stand corrected. Thanks. :devil: 

Thanks for the tip. I bought one and only one (too pricey for my blood) for my CR500 and it's it's 30th hour run time. Figured if it lasted that long it would at least have a have a better spark. I stand corrected. Thanks. :devil:

No prob, I run iridium plugs in my crf250r and when I went to buy a new one, after 2 years,I noticed they were a bit pricey and did the research

No prob, I run iridium plugs in my crf250r and when I went to buy a new one, after 2 years,I noticed they were a bit pricey and did the research

Yeah, again, not the money, just the principal, but I'll tell you what, if I get another 30 hours out of that plug, I think it's probably a better buy. I'm guessing it will give out on my next trip ride, but even at 45 hours, that's still not bad.  Do you agree with what I said about the coil and the OP's particular problem?  I'm almost positive his coil is going out.  I've seen that before, where you turn the crank and get spark, but once it starts the coil warms up and is unable to maintain spark at a higher RPM.  I think too worse case scenario would be he's having problems at the magneto, but I've never come across a situation where you have spark and it doesn't run at higher RPM where the magneto is to blame.  It doesn't hurt to change coils regardless, considering too, they are not as expensive as the OP suggest. So you're looking for a smoker huh?  I love my CR500 and would recommend it, but aside from that I'm partial to Yamaha.  If and when I do decide to buy a thumper, it will likely be an 01 250F.  Those bikes look great, and the color blue is my favorite. :devil: 

Yeah, again, not the money, just the principal, but I'll tell you what, if I get another 30 hours out of that plug, I think it's probably a better buy. I'm guessing it will give out on my next trip ride, but even at 45 hours, that's still not bad. Do you agree with what I said about the coil and the OP's particular problem? I'm almost positive his coil is going out. I've seen that before, where you turn the crank and get spark, but once it starts the coil warms up and is unable to maintain spark at a higher RPM. I think too worse case scenario would be he's having problems at the magneto, but I've never come across a situation where you have spark and it doesn't run at higher RPM where the magneto is to blame. It doesn't hurt to change coils regardless, considering too, they are not as expensive as the OP suggest. So you're looking for a smoker huh? I love my CR500 and would recommend it, but aside from that I'm partial to Yamaha. If and when I do decide to buy a thumper, it will likely be an 01 250F. Those bikes look great, and the color blue is my favorite. :devil:

I have no idea what's wrong with his bike, I'm not the best mechanic but I get by, and a cr500 is NOT an option, I'd like to stay in the 250 class and that bike would wear me out in 10 minuites in the woods I ride

I have no idea what's wrong with his bike, I'm not the best mechanic but I get by, and a cr500 is NOT an option, I'd like to stay in the 250 class and that bike would wear me out in 10 minuites in the woods I ride

I've said it here before, my hats go off to those that ride woods.  I'm petrified when it comes to trees and smacking up on them.  You get twisted, while the tree only loses a little bit of bark.  I saw a dude in my lifetime smack a good size tree.  He died on impact.  Trees are nothing to take lightly and I steer clear of them when ever I see one out in the desert.  Granted, Joshua trees are nothing compared to woods trees, but still, I know they can afflict a lot of damage.  Hell, every year around new years, our local sheriffs department parks a car that either wrapped around a tree or was in a really bad accident to show people what drinking and driving will do.  It's not a pretty site to see a vehicle literally cut in two that hit a tree.  You're right on the CR500 things.  This bike may not be the most ideal for woods riding.  At times, it has a mind of it's own and just goes where it wants to.  In open desert, (though it hasn't happened yet), I can always bail off it and eat sand. I've got a 89YZ250 with a 360cc Olin kit on it.  I consider this bike to be really nimble when it comes to riding.  I've yet to eat dirt on it like I do with my BIG bore bikes. :devil: