Sign in to follow this  

Water pump rebuilt- still leaks

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1397958551.767754.jpg

I rebuilt the water pump with new bearing, new shaft, crush washer and seals. I thought maybe I must have had the outer seal in backwards as it would leak out the weep hole. When I plugged it, it didn't leak and I was able to ride. But when I took everything apart, I had the seals in correctly (outer seal's spring side facing out and the oil seal's spring face facing inward. There was no leaking in to the gear box. In fact, everything looks very clean and new even though the bike is an 05. But I couldn't see any wear on anything. I did notice this hairline crack that you can see in the photo on the weep tube. But it could be just a scratch because as I said, there was no coolant in the gear box. I couldn't get it to spread either when I stuck something in there. Just wondering, if I should replace the side case? I hear counter balancer bearings going out could cause leaks, but the water pump parts I put in we're new and the bike leaked right away on the first ride. So, could that really cause a water pump to wear out and leak on the first ride? I don't think so. But is it hard to replace them? And what else could be causing this leak?

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByThumper Talk1397958551.767754.jpg

I rebuilt the water pump with new bearing, new shaft, crush washer and seals. I thought maybe I must have had the outer seal in backwards as it would leak out the weep hole. When I plugged it, it didn't leak and I was able to ride. But when I took everything apart, I had the seals in correctly (outer seal's spring side facing out and the oil seal's spring face facing inward. There was no leaking in to the gear box. In fact, everything looks very clean and new even though the bike is an 05. But I couldn't see any wear on anything. I did notice this hairline crack that you can see in the photo on the weep tube. But it could be just a scratch because as I said, there was no coolant in the gear box. I couldn't get it to spread either when I stuck something in there. Just wondering, if I should replace the side case? I hear counter balancer bearings going out could cause leaks, but the water pump parts I put in we're new and the bike leaked right away on the first ride. So, could that really cause a water pump to wear out and leak on the first ride? I don't think so. But is it hard to replace them? And what else could be causing this leak?

That's a casting line and I wouldn't put any more thought into that at all. The left side counter balancer bearing goes out the fastest.. With that being said think about two rods( your counter balancer and your water pump shaft) being lined up and spinning. The rod on the left, it's left side is jumping all over the place so it's right side is really all over the place. Just vibrating down the line throwing your water pump shaft all around.. Those seals will def leak if your cb balancer bearings are shot. It's also be more noisy when idling. theyre a few bucks to replace, most expensive part is gaskets but it's piece of mind and more that likely the answer to your problem

Thanks. I actually thought it might be just in the casting. So, I couldn't find a link on just replacing the cb bearings. BTW, what is on the other side of the CB shaft? Is it the flywheel? If so, could a heavy flywheel that I put on have caused this? So here is my dilemma, I have an upcoming trip and little time for a complete bottom end rebuild. It looks easy to get the bearing out from the right side as I have the special socket already (for some reason) and a blind bearing puller kit. But how difficult is it to get to the bearing on the other side? But the thing is, if it really is the cb bearings, why can't I get it to move? And why. Does. The gear and all the other gears look absolutely mint? And why didn't I find at least a speck of metal in the case, when there was actually nothing to be found? One thing, I do notice is the water pump shaft has a rather sloppy fit into the cb shaft. Should it be a tight fit?

That's a lot to cover.. If the wp shaft is warn anywhere then replace it or that can leak.. The cb shaft dosnt attact to anything but itself and those bearings can seem find but that is what balances the crank so the smallest imperfection can cause a big vibration. And blind bearing puller will make pulling the other side bearing out. And you wouldn't get metal from the other bearing unless your motor was about to completely grenade

But the gear of the cb is so perfect. Wouldn't there be wear? Yes, it could be the cb bearings, but I guess my question is: that when I put the water pump shaft into to cb shaft, I can move it side to side very easily... Maybe a few degrees. Of course, it isn't doing this it is held in the water pump, but still ... Is this normal? Anyone? If it isn't that would mean the end of the cb shaft is worn out because I don't really see any wear on the end of the WP shaft (which has only one ride on it) or even on the old one. I can't find the old WP shaft but it did have some grooves in it but the bearing was still good .... Just looser than the new one. Any way here is a photo is the new one. It feels very smooth with no scratching. But there is some discoloration wear already.ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1397970943.831756.jpg

Calm down. Just replace the bearings and if that dosnt work then panic

When you reassembled the pump with the new parts did you put a little grease in the seal so the shaft doesn't burn it before it gets primed with coolant?  That is a very common cause for a new assembly to leak. The shaft spins up in a dry pump and burns the seal and then starts leaking.

When you reassembled the pump with the new parts did you put a little grease in the seal so the shaft doesn't burn it before it gets primed with coolant? That is a very common cause for a new assembly to leak. The shaft spins up in a dry pump and burns the seal and then starts leaking.

I did use grease and the seals don't look burned. But I will put in new seals anyway.

Update: there is an oil seal between the two bearings of the cb shaft. It just isn't shown of the cb schematic. You have to look on the crankcase schematic. The part # is 91203- MEB- 571

I did use grease and the seals don't look burned. But I will put in new seals anyway.

Update: there is an oil seal between the two bearings of the cb shaft. It just isn't shown of the cb schematic. You have to look on the crankcase schematic. The part # is 91203- MEB- 571

It's not inbetween the bearings. It's to the outside of the left side bearing. Note what side of the seal faces out when you remove it Edited by Diggla117

Make sure you drive the water pump seal all the way into the case. Ive seen it more than once, when the run out (lateral play) in the shaft is enough to were the seal rides off the edge of the sealing surface of the WP shaft.

Personaly I think Honda should have made that water pump seal pocket about .020-.030 deeper to carry the seal that much closer to the middle. But they'd sell fewer seals and shafts...and bearings, and gaskets...and oil...and

Get the point?

Calm down. Just replace the bearings and if that dosnt work then panic

I guess I have to say, thanks a lot. I never would have guessed that was the problem in a million years. Any way, I got her done , and took the bike on it's first test ride (we've been having some bad weather) and I was amazed. I climbed a lot of steep hills and the bike didn't leak a drop. Nor did it overheat, thanks to my new $90 eBay oversize radiators. I couldn't believe the quality of those things.... Very well made and way better than the stock ones. Any way, thanks again.

I guess I have to say, thanks a lot. I never would have guessed that was the problem in a million years. Any way, I got her done , and took the bike on it's first test ride (we've been having some bad weather) and I was amazed. I climbed a lot of steep hills and the bike didn't leak a drop. Nor did it overheat, thanks to my new $90 eBay oversize radiators. I couldn't believe the quality of those things.... Very well made and way better than the stock ones. Any way, thanks again.

Oh Yeah man No problem! Yeah those things are super nice. Esp for the money you really can't beat em.