Sign in to follow this  

TE250 electric start

My 2004 TE250 electric starter has a tendancy to free-spin very regularly.

Press button and just get sound of starter spinning madly but not engaging.

Just wondering what causes this? Is it the freewheel/Starter clutch assembly thingo behind flywheel?

The way you describe it I would say it is the free wheel behind the flywheel. It's usually called a 'Sprag Clutch' They are not cheap mine was £60 for a second hand one and new about £130.

No need to split the cases, you will have to remove the big clutch cover along with the clutch and some of the e-start stuff. There is an updated clutch for the 04 TE 250s since they like to strip the original gear.

No you do not have to take the stator side off. All of the e-start stuff is on the clutch side. The lower cam gear is behind the flywheel so you would be dissappointed by removing it.

OOOHHH!! Just had a good look at parts diagram..... now I see where it goes...just off to the side and a bit behind the clutch basket.

Makes more sense now  :facepalm:

Actually think I might be capable of doing that myself ....

Always pays to check twice.

Thanks for the correction. Appreciate the advice  :thumbsup:

The job is not too bad.

One of the nuts is a left hand thread I'm sorry I can't remember which it is (clutch basket or primary gear). 

The sprag clutch is directional make sure you fit it the right way. :thumbsup: