Sign in to follow this  

What should I do?

I have a 99 cr125 with a fmf rev pipe and powercore2 silencer. And I'm kinda getting tired of it,with its no bottom end in trails it kinda gets frustrating. So I'm either going to trade it for something a little more relaxing. Or just keep it. I was think of maybe trying to trade it for a xr250 ,drz250 or maybe a kdx. Or maybe just go back to quads and try to find a 400/300ex. So what do you guys think I should do? Just suck it up and ride it. Or try to trade?

Yeah that's what I was thinking.....but I love the power my 125 has. will a kdx have about the same power?

Edited by pain99

More top end power? No.

More useable power? Yes

I'm not a fan of KDX type suspension though, it's just too soft for me.

Edited by jevyguy
  • Like 1

More top end power? No.

More useable power? Yes

I'm not a fan of KDX type suspension though, it's just too soft for me.

Stated perfectly.. The cr will RUN away from the kdx, but only where applicable. I took a third in a moto once on a kdx, it was muddy, and the kdx was hooking up where mxers couldn't. Would have been a win but I wouldn't hit the big double due to the soft springs!

So what do you guys think I should do?

Learn to ride a 125. This is such a fun displacement and will embarrass others when in the right hands. Or there is always the quad idea?

But when I'm riding trails will the kdx feel like a hog compared to my cr?

Edited by pain99

And I forgot to mention. Some of my riding is on my road and I hate driving my cr on the road. Will the kdx be more road friendly?

But when I'm riding trails will the kdx feel like a hog compared to my cr?

And I forgot to mention. Some of my riding is on my road and I hate driving my cr on the road. Will the kdx be more road friendly?

Yes, the KDX is a pig comparatively. Swapping in a KX front end helps but there is no getting away from the sit-in ergos and weight. They are MUCH nicer on fire roads though. They have an ultra-tall top gear that will let you really fly.

I'd recommend the KDX to you as well, I think everyone should own one at some point. Even though they aren't a great handler, the engine and transmission are really terrific.

Yes, the KDX is a pig comparatively. Swapping in a KX front end helps but there is no getting away from the sit-in ergos and weight. They are MUCH nicer on fire roads though. They have an ultra-tall top gear that will let you really fly.

I'd recommend the KDX to you as well, I think everyone should own one at some point. Even though they aren't a great handler, the engine and transmission are really terrific.

The Kdx is a 6 speed and yes they do fly down the fire lane roads. And another thing is if you get a Kdx 220 there is a mod to do for more top end power. I've been told of you put on a Kdx 200 carb the liven the top end up a bit. I think the 200 had a slightly bigger carb. Personally I love the Kdx I ride is pretty preppy In the woods. I suggest one strongly

Yeah a Kdx will be a bit more road friendly due to the 6 speed and I've read they top out at like 75mph. But I would never hold a 2 stroke that high for a long time. People do have them plated for the street.

Send it to Eric Gorr and have it bored and ported for low end.  Then add a flywheel weight.  That's what we did with my son's RM125 to turn it into a woods machine.

See I don't really have the money to make my cr a woods weapon. If I kept it I would just keep it how it is.

The real question is, what do you want to do with your bike in terms of riding?

You dont have money to buy another sprocket or put on a different flywheel? You might be in the wrong hobby my friend. A front sprocket is like $10 and you can find flywheels on ebay for $30 to $100. 

I rode a number of 125s (KTM, YZ and RM) on trails for over a year as a beginner at age 24. I weigh 185lbs. My biggest issue was now blowing the clutch when climbing really long steep hills. Once you can master the line on the trails with the 125 (it teaches you to pick a line and have speed because there is NO bottom end to help you out if you pick the wrong gear when going up a hill. It also teaches you throttle modulation as to not wack the throttle into the powerband because then you are squirly all over the place which also leads to dumping the bike) you could step up to a 250 two stroke. 

I've never had an issue climbing anything my 250. Except for the front end staying down and me being able to balance it when that happens. 

Oh I have enought money to do like a sprocket set and stuff. But I've read that flywheel weights change your hole bikes performance.

But I've read that flywheel weights change your hole bikes performance.

Isn't that kind of what you are looking for?  

I would also think about getting rid of the Rev pipe.

• Like 1