Sign in to follow this  

2000 Yamaha XT225 - No 6th gear!

Hey folks.

Picked up a 2000 XT225 with about 3500km on it in Melbourne a few weeks back. 

The bike only goes up to 5th gear, although most XT225's are supposed to have a 6-speed transmission.

I can only find one reference on the web about a faulty batch of gearboxes where yamaha put in only 5 gears with slightly taller sprocket in the front to make top speed similar.

The clutch on the bike feels very loose/sloppy and its not always easy to switch into first gear/neutral *even with fresh oil change + properly adjusted cable *   The clutch will only release about halfway through pulling the lever, which is not like other bikes i've owned where this happens about 1/4 of the pull when properly adjusted.

Anyways, just wondering if the P/O might have screwed the clutch up, or whether anyones had similar experiences.  Otherwise, bike is great.

Thanks

POOT

I suppose you could simply tighten the cable adjustment to your liking . :)

My XT350 releases / engages at about half lever travel .

the early 90's xt225 only had a 5 speed.  mayby someone frankensteined it together with an older motor/tranny.

There's an internal adjustment for the clutch. You have to pull the right side engine cover to access. If used quite a it, it probably needs attention. The USA models of the Serow/XT225 have always had 6 speed transmissions, can't speak for other markets. If it won't go into sixth, and actually has a 6th gear, it is most likely a bent shift fork. That requires splitting the center cases to correct. 

Be sure to use a fresh gasket if you pull the side cover. I'd also suggest a Yamaha manual. Not hard, but a bit time consuming. Plan to change the oil and filter, since the cover will be off anyway. 

By putting the bike up on a stand with the rear wheel free to spin, you can manually try to get through all of the gears and see if there is a 6th. I'd guess there is, but again, I have no info on other markets. 

If you do pull the clutch cover, if the bike had seen heavy use, I'd take the clutch apart and see if the friction disks and steels are still within spec. Draggy clutches are sometimes due to warped plates from heavy clutch slipping. Also can be caused by heavily notched baskets and clutch bosses: look where the plate tabs engage the basket and where the steels engage the boss: if they have obvious step wear, the clutch will never release well. 

Good luck. Not hard, but take your time and it should be obvious.