Sign in to follow this  

New YZ250 owner, have a few questions on setup.

Hello, I just bought a new 2013 YZ250 yesterday and it will be a MX only bike. It is replacing my 2009 KTM 250SX and so far I'm happy I went back to the blue bike.

I already ordered a 51T rear sprocket on recommendation from MXA magazine, and some new bars as the stock ones feel like they are in my lap. I was also thinking of adding a glide plate to protect the lower engine cradle a bit, the Works Connection one caught my eye, but I'm open to recommendation there. I plan on leaving the exhaust and motor stock for the mean time. Coming off the KTM, I am missing that front Brembo brake, and I think a 270mm rotor kit is going to be needed. Could also use some direction on where to go there. I'm not opposed to spending $350 on a nice Braking or Galfer kit, but that seems pretty outrageous considering what it is really. I see Warp9 has a kit now, but I'm skeptical of their parts and don't want to buy something cheap just because it's cheap. I'm more of a "buy once, cry once" shopper. Also thinking of adding a flywheel weight. GYTR seems like a popular choice.

Regarding jetting, was thinking of popping in a 180 main as I heard these bikes can be a bit lean stock. Fuel will be VP C9 mixed 30:1 with Yamalube 2R per the manuals recommendation. Thoughts on this setup?

I'm also open to any setup tips for the chassis and suspension. I don't have any time on it yet, but I hope to get out next weekend. I'm a decently quick 29 year old who weighs 180 pounds in my underwear. Might be doing a bit of racing here and there, but mostly just practice days.

Thanks for any insight.

Edited by MXRider72

I'm running the 270mm Galfer unit. It's worth every penny! You can buy cheaper units, but you get what you pay for. On Monday I would phone Galfer and ask what direction they would recommend for your braking needs...

Also, shave the head...

I've heard about the head shave, is it a necessity, or just something to make a small improvement? I will check out that thread a bit later tonight when I have some more free time.

I have the exact same bike, and run a 51 in the back.  I ride mostly in the woods and I do this so I can stay out of 1st gear.  But just so you know, out in the open I get to 5th PDQ.

I run 32:1 C-12 and Maxima oil.  I put in the smaller pilot (woods riding) but left the 175 main.

I put on the GYTR weighted flywheel and to tell you the truth I barely if at all felt any difference in the spin up - where I did notice a small improvement was stalling - again I'm mostly in the woods.

Off topic jibba jabba:

Frankly I wish it had 6 gears.  1st is too low/too perky and 2nd is too tall with a 50 in the back, yet 5th is a bit short with a 51 and 2nd could use just a bit more.  FWIW I try to avoid 1st to 2nd shifting.

I've had my motor guy shave the head and proper squish to need 100 octane on my '11. Bike is very strong on the pipe. Also will be installing a Boyesen Rad Valve next set of days off. I would take the stock silencer off for a FMF Shorty as well. Head, rad valve, shorty for performance is what I prefer. 91 Shell/C12 mix.

I'm 14/51 gearing. I do feel like I have quite a bit of a gap between 2nd/3rd. Doing lots of woods riding and MX now. I have a FWW for it also and a few spare pipes but I'm running the PC Platinum 2 and DEP Silencer currently. Shorty will be installed next set of days off, hoping to bring the power down a bit lower with that and the Rad Valve installed. I will let you know how it is.

Edited by honda_450

I've had my motor guy shave the head and proper squish to need 100 octane on my '11. Bike is very strong on the pipe. Also will be installing a Boyesen Rad Valve next set of days off. I would take the stock silencer off for a FMF Shorty as well. Head, rad valve, shorty for performance is what I prefer. 91 Shell/C12 mix.

I'm 14/51 gearing. I do feel like I have quite a bit of a gap between 2nd/3rd. Doing lots of woods riding and MX now. I have a FWW for it also and a few spare pipes but I'm running the PC Platinum 2 and DEP Silencer currently. Shorty will be installed next set of days off, hoping to bring the power down a bit lower with that and the Rad Valve installed. I will let you know how it is.

Radvalve will increase top-end, Vforce will increase low-mid...

• Like 1

Yeah so I've heard. I've ran Rad Valves in lots of my previous two strokes (mainly Kawi, and noticed good power everywhere.)

I don't like Vforce products to be honest.

The previous owner of my bike has this bike dialed and jetted spot on from his dyno. He took the rad valve off before he sold it to me, and said it's quite an improvement. I guess I'll have to see how it is along with taking my 3 foot DEP silencer off and switching to a shorty also.

Edited by honda_450

Exactly the question I was typing when the "new post" thing popped up.

Thanks.

Yeah, getting ready to contact your nemesis about motor work.

Lol, I'm going to send my head down to him mid summer. I'm eyeing up a new YZ450F so I'm saving my cans right now...

For the price of a reed setup, I would just port the head. 5+hp gains on a port alone. Cheaper then pipe, silencer, etc etc and better gains..

Yep, porting is the way to go. Forgot to add that Edited by honda_450

Lol, I'm going to send my head down to him mid summer. I'm eyeing up a new YZ450F so I'm saving my cans right now...

HAHA!  Glad you laughed as that's what I meant, but somehow that laughing smilie didn't post.

Have you tried one yet? I got to ride one recently and it was a nice bike. I'm seeing more Yamahas at the local track lately.

Have you tried one yet? I got to ride one recently and it was a nice bike. I'm seeing more Yamahas at the local track lately.

What does "it was a nice bike" mean? Isn't every new bike nice?

No, I haven't ridden one but for offroad racing I think they would be quite the machine to have...

What does "it was a nice bike" mean? Isn't every new bike nice?

No, I haven't ridden one but for offroad racing I think they would be quite the machine to have...

Good manageable power. Good suspension. Felt fairly light, effortless to drive. But I still prefer my newish 11. Fun factor was so much better. Edited by honda_450

Thanks for the tips guys. Maybe I will have the motor done up after all. Riding this back to back to my KTM, the YZ is a tamer motor. I'm not sure that is a bad thing either as sometimes I felt the SX was a bit of a handful on rough and slick tracks. It was nice when the place was groomed however.

I got to ride a 14 YZ450 2 weeks ago for about 20 minutes. Fantastic machine, and I would have liked to have bought that instead. However I couldn't swing the price as I also need to get a new bike for my girlfriend and they made me a great deal on this left over 2 stroke. This will allow me to still get that TTR125L for her.

• Like 1