Sign in to follow this  

Fork Cartridge Question - See Photo

wrfork.jpg

I'm new to suspension work.. and just replaced my fork seals.. upon doing so I have a question concerning the spring upper seat.. I noticed play between the spring upper seat (the white plastic piece below the nut) and the upper nut (see arrow).

How should this nut be adjusted, should there be no gap between the top of the spring upper seat and the nut or should there be?  I noticed when I was putting the fork back together the spring upper seat would move up and down which seemed to be about a half inch or so.. but I have no clue how this should be adjusted!!

Any help would be appreciated!! This bike is a '09 WR250F

Thanks!

Basher

Im just guessing here, but my 01 kx125 had a very similar looking setup.. I did it like this..... back adjuster screw all way out, screw nut down a ways, hand thread the cap onto rod till it lightly bottoms out and tighten the nut up to meet it and lock it on... That is my humble opinion. Hopefully somebody can verify my opinion before you go back together with it. Good luck.

If you have a clicker adjuster in the center of the fork cap, before disassembling, you should turn it all the way in til it lightly seats, counting the number of turns as you go. That tells you where it was set before disassembly. Then turn it all the way out to count the total number of turns/travel, as thats how many you want to have when you put it back together. Leave it backed out for disassembly.

How far the fork cap is screwed onto the rod end determines how many clicker points you end up with.

When I disassemble that type fork, I break loose the jam nut from the bottom of the fork cap, try not to turn it any more than what it takes to break it loose, then unscrew the cap from the rod end. Take a scale and measure how far down the rod end the jam nut is. When I put things back together, I position the jam nut at that point on the rod end and screw the fork cap down to meet it and tighten the two together. That way I'm sure to end up with the same number of clicker points as I had when I started.

Its a little confusing what you're calling the upper spring seat. The upper spring seat is the bottom of the fork cap. If the white spring guide has a little play up and down the rod between the jam nut and cartridge, I don't believe its anything to worry about.

Edited by Trailryder42

So check out the updated photo...

Before I disassembled I counted clicks for both adjusters. The OEM parts says #11 is "Seat, Upper Spring"  & #12 is "Nut, Special"  so that's what I called them.. ?!

What determines where #12 is on the threads?  Because depending on where #12 nut is will determine how much #11 can freely move up and down before the top of #11 hits #12.. So I'm not sure where this nut should be.. Are you saying that the adjuster screws do determine where this #11 nut sits in the threads.. ?  If thats' the case.. how would I reset it?  

Thanks for your help ... I'm just trying to learn this stuff!!   :ride:

Ah... I think I found my answer!

In this video.. at 06:18 - 06:28, he says make sure the lock nut is threaded all the way down.. 

I guess I was just making a big deal out of nothing.. I thought it should be threaded all the way down but like I said, I'm new to suspension work!!

Thanks fellas.. maybe this will help others out there..

Ride safe!

Basher