New drz, trans issue already :/

So new to the forum looks good so far! Anyway just bought a 2001 drz 400s driving it home from my friends going 55 in 4th gear I go to down shift to go around a corner and when I click the lever it springs down and back up but doesn't shift into 3rd. It will go into 5 but never into 3rd or any lower gears. Any ideas?

No.  You can not see the shift forks at all with the center cases together.  But I would not assume the worst.  No reason to suspect a bent shift fork.  They do not bend easily.  Check out all the shift indexing mechanism accessible with the clutch removed.  Likely you will find the problem there.  The fact that it will not shift into 3rd or lower it is reasonably certain the problem is in the indexing.  I had a similar problem years ago and found a short piece of nylon wire tie in the indexer.  No doubt something of my own doing.

Oh yea, look for a rock restricting the movement of the shift pedal or the pedal loose on the splines for misaligned hitting something.

Edited by Noble
  • Like 1

Anyone ever changed that part? I was reading in the book the shaft could fall into the case? Once I undo the bolt?

Shaft? The shift shaft? Then no.. it can not fall anywhere.

when you remove part 13, parts 10, 11, 12, 15 & 17 all come free, and yes, any of those parts could get into the case if you let them... so don't let them

If you have a pawl spring fail.. that would be a first I have ever heard of on this motor.. so possible? Sure., likely? NO.

I would not order any parts till you remove the "lifter, gear" part 13 (you will need a impact screw driver and a #3 cross tip bit)

Then check parts 11, 12, 15 & 17 for serviceability and free movement. It could be debris causing a pawl to jamb as suggested by Nobel .. But outright failure of one of those parts is not likely 

• Like 1

I won't but the book was saying that the shift shaft could fall out. But I doubt that. If stuff falls in the case that's no big deal it's not like the case is deep and I can't fish them out. Keep in mind if I sound like a idiot it's my first time inside a transmission of any kind. Lol

The shift shaft can not "fall into the case" (what "book" ? are you referring to?, not the OEM service manual .. )

The shaft SLIDES out of the case from left to right. once the snap ring on the left side is removed, yes the shift shaft can slide right and "off" or out of position,, but it simply slides back on.