Sign in to follow this  

Trouble with the High/low headlight!

Hi everyone, since a couple of days, the frontlight isn't responding so well, the button of the high light is not staying on place, and i discovered that the connectors on the box were burnt and loose, I reconnected them but the problem is still there. 
My question is, is there a way to avoid connecting the high light and just leave the normal always on? how should i leave the cables with that purpose? this is just till next week when I can buy a new control box.. Thanks!

ps: sometimes when pressing the button, the front light connects and lights at the normal intensity, so it's not that the bulb is damaged or anything.

10268439_10203039270436045_3274795697487

Edited by seppe sai

White wire is LO beam.  Yellow wire is HI beam.  However my diagram does not show a blue wire so I'm confused on that.  You can have LO beam only by connecting the white wire to any wire that makes the headlight light up  -  Yellow with white stripe wire, orange wire,  gray wire, or brown wire. Any of those will work.

Ok, solded only one of the cables at a time and I only get a really low beam.. My question is... how can I "avoid" the switch.. I mean.. if I just join the white and blue cables.. shouldn't I get a direct circuit, and therefore, bypass the HI beam? Unfortunately I live in a town far from any motorcycle service or store so I have to find a solution for now.. 
Any Idea? I don't want to cause a short circuit and blow a fuse :S

Untitleddimmer.jpg

Edited by seppe sai

Well, as I said before.  I do not now what the blue wire is.  Your diagram says power for the headlight is from a yellow with white stripe wire.  That is what my diagram shows.  But also as I said before, you can connect the white wire to any wire that has power on it and get LO beam.  You will not blow a fuse because the white (and yellow) wire has the resistance of the headlight to absorb the power.  If you get LO beam with the white on the blue, that's fine.  All battery power comes thru the 1 and only fuse on the motorcycle (20 amp) so it really does not matter where you pick up power for the headlight.

Does your motorcycle have a headlight ON/OFF switch?  That might be why you have a blue wire.  None of the diagrams I have, show an ON/OFF switch.

The closest thing I see to a blue wire is the horn wire which is black and blue.  It comes from the horn so you will not have a full 12 volts on it for the headlight.  You would probably get a dim glow from the headlight and/or possibly noise from the horn.  (2, 12 volt items in series, neither one gets the full 12 volts)

In the diagram I found in the manual, says that the third cable should be Y/W, yellow with a white stripe. I guess that is my blue cable, because I don't have an on/off switch.

I tried the following:

White+Y/W= Nothing happened, just the normal default beam which is no good.

Yellow+Y/W= little spark when approached, decided not to try those.
White+Yellow=EUREKA!! LO BEAM,

so I soldered those two and isolated the Y/W.

Now I have the permanent LO and lost the possibility to switch to HI, but at least this fix will give me a secure beam to ride in the afternoons.

Thats how you bypass the switch and get a permanent LO beam if you're having trouble with your Lo/Hi control ;)
Hope this post is useful to anyone with the same trouble I got ;)

Congratulations on success.  Trial and error is a good approach.  A few questions.  Is the motorcycle a Suzuki DRZ400?.  Is the switch original equipment?.  The wire colors that worked for you do not match any wire diagram I have seen for a Suzuki.  Of course different parts of the worlds get different variations.  Well done.