Sign in to follow this  

MRD/SSW vs Yosh Rs2 low end torque/power

Hey guys, I have made this post because I am unclear on a few issues.

I have heard SO many good things about the mrd/ssw. Everything that I have heard says the mrd/ssw out performs most or all other pipes, everything except a power/torque curve graph from "Lynk" in a post on Drzforums.com. The graph indicates better mid range performance with the yosh rs2. Attached is the graph I am referring to.

image.jpg

Can anyone confirm or dispute these power curves? If these curves are correct, the mrd/ssw would not be my first choice. I would prefer to not give up all the low end and mid range power.

The mods I will be doing to my drz400sm are 3x3, JD jet kit, full exhaust system, and fcr39 flat slide carb. Will the mrd/ssw still be better with just those modifications?

Edited by SupermotoAl
  • Like 1

The reason why there is less hp and tq between the bottom and mid range is because the af ratio is too rich. Looks like too much squirt to me.i have a dyno graph that look very similer that's between a rs3 full system and a mrd/ssw system. Once you fix that rich spot the mrd will make the same or more in the bottom to midrange

The reason why there is less hp and tq between the bottom and mid range is because the af ratio is too rich. Looks like too much squirt to me.i have a dyno graph that look very similer that's between a rs3 full system and a mrd/ssw system. Once you fix that rich spot the mrd will make the same or more in the bottom to midrange

Why would the pipe that has less back pressure be running richer than the pipe that has more back pressure. Why would the mix be too rich for the mrd/ssw and not for the yosh rs2. Please clarify.

• Like 1

Sorry I didn't intend to sound mean with "please clarify".

Anyways I was just hoping anyone that knows more about this can explain. Honestly I am hoping that the mrd/ssw can be defended :)

Having ridden two bikes with with 3x3 and just different exhausts. I do feel the Rs-2 is a bit more responsive lower end. It seems a bit more punchy lower to mid end but, when you rev the bike out it tends to fall off. Where the mrd exhaust does not have that low end punch but once you hit the mid range, the power seems to continue all the way to rev line. For putting around town i think the rs-s would be better, Its noticeably quieter, and you have that low end punch for stop and go or if you dont like to rev your bike out all the time.

• Like 4

Having ridden two bikes with with 3x3 and just different exhausts. I do feel the Rs-2 is a bit more responsive lower end. It seems a bit more punchy lower to mid end but, when you rev the bike out it tends to fall off. Where the mrd exhaust does not have that low end punch but once you hit the mid range, the power seems to continue all the way to rev line. For putting around town i think the rs-s would be better, Its noticeably quieter, and you have that low end punch for stop and go or if you dont like to rev your bike out all the time.

I second that. I went with yoshi after riding a friends with MRD. MRD seems better for the topend or highway driving. Yoshi is better for stop n go as well as off-road which is why I went with the yosh. But then again I went with stage 1 cams to get torque rather than stage 2 for the top end.
  • Like 1

So what is the redline on a drz400sm?

Wow so the graphs are right. I thought I would hear more testimony to the mrd/ssw.

It's funny I liked the yosh more at first then warmed up to the mrd/ssw and was a bit sad to find that graph showing the mrd falling short of the yosh. Anyways I'll just have to keep doing my research. I am attracted to the growl of the mrd :)

Without  showing specific data as to Jetting and Air/Fuel ratios the graph above is going on assumptions ,so is not a fair comparison...

i.e. we don't know is if both runs were done with correct jetting

Edited by Craigo 485sm

So what is the redline on a drz400sm?

Wow so the graphs are right. I thought I would hear more testimony to the mrd/ssw.

It's funny I liked the yosh more at first then warmed up to the mrd/ssw and was a bit sad to find that graph showing the mrd falling short of the yosh. Anyways I'll just have to keep doing my research. I am attracted to the growl of the mrd :)

if you think you want the MRD and want it loud as you say then I say go for it. I doubt you will regret it if your trying to convince your self before even making a purchase. I have the RS2 and me loves it!!!, I'm thinking that if you get the RS2 you always be wondering what if.....

• Like 2

Why would the pipe that has less back pressure be running richer than the pipe that has more back pressure. Why would the mix be too rich for the mrd/ssw and not for the yosh rs2. Please clarify.

good question, I don't really know the reason why but when I swapped pipes my graph looked very similer to the one you posted.also when I swapped pipes I left the jetting the same and all of a sudden I was running rich in the bottom. Once you get the afr right you gain that power back

I would like to see any graphs showing the Mrd/ssw with comparable midrange power to the rs2. So far the feedback is telling me that the rs2 is best for low end to mid range. But then also I need to remember that when I get on it hard i will be utilizing high rpms. Lol I want both

Edited by SupermotoAl

Ive always been between these two pipes for my S model . I like most people want all the power I can get with a pipe swap. But I would also prefer to not wake up everyone in a two mile radius when Im out riding. One thing that our four strokes have going for us is that they can be relatively quiet when you need to be. I can run down a trail with my buddies that is adjacent to a housing development or Church or what have you, and the noisiest thing around is the homeowners weedwacker or leaf blower .  Ill give up a little power to not piss off the people who get our trails closed . Id like to see graphs with the quiet inserts in vs. without . Id also like to see graphs with Stage 2 Hotcams and each of those pipes. I recently purchased the cams, but haven't installed them yet. My reasoning with going with stage 2 cams  was that I feel I have enough low end grunt with my 3x3 mod, JD jetting , and 14 or 15/47 gearing for my type of offroad riding ( mostly tight trails ) but wanted more power for my street riding in SM trim,  where Im usually in the higher RPM range. Eventually I will upgrade my carb and pipe. for now I just use an E header.  One thing I don't really like on the RS 2 is that connection with the spring . Does anyone experience problems with that ? If Im correct the MRD has no connection like that.   Is that correct ?

Also I will be riding an sm on street almost entirely. Perhaps this changes what pipe would work best for me. I plan on doing 3x3, JD jet kit, fcr39 carb and full exhaust system. Perhaps more later on down the road

Anyone have the Mrd/ssw or rs2 with similar mods?

Edited by SupermotoAl

does anybody know the difference in measurements between the two pipes. standard header is 39mm,yoshi is 41mm,what about the mrd?

if you think you want the MRD and want it loud as you say then I say go for it. I doubt you will regret it if your trying to convince your self before even making a purchase. I have the RS2 and me loves it!!!, I'm thinking that if you get the RS2 you always be wondering what if.....

Ya honestly I think I am probably leaning towards the mrd/ssw however I am far from a decision. I enjoy learning about all of the mods and performance parts for the bikes I ride. I look forward to more discussion regarding this subject :)

does anybody know the difference in measurements between the two pipes. standard header is 39mm,yoshi is 41mm,what about the mrd?

Pretty sure the mrd is even larger than the yosh.

Pretty sure the mrd is even larger than the yosh.

anyone with the exact measurement?

Ive always been between these two pipes for my S model . I like most people want all the power I can get with a pipe swap. But I would also prefer to not wake up everyone in a two mile radius when Im out riding. One thing that our four strokes have going for us is that they can be relatively quiet when you need to be. I can run down a trail with my buddies that is adjacent to a housing development or Church or what have you, and the noisiest thing around is the homeowners weedwacker or leaf blower .  Ill give up a little power to not piss off the people who get our trails closed . Id like to see graphs with the quiet inserts in vs. without . Id also like to see graphs with Stage 2 Hotcams and each of those pipes. I recently purchased the cams, but haven't installed them yet. My reasoning with going with stage 2 cams  was that I feel I have enough low end grunt with my 3x3 mod, JD jetting , and 14 or 15/47 gearing for my type of offroad riding ( mostly tight trails ) but wanted more power for my street riding in SM trim,  where Im usually in the higher RPM range. Eventually I will upgrade my carb and pipe. for now I just use an E header.  One thing I don't really like on the RS 2 is that connection with the spring . Does anyone experience problems with that ? If Im correct the MRD has no connection like that.   Is that correct ?

I have the RS2 don't see the spring becoming an issue. That part comes pre installed to the mid pipe no need to mess with it. Yoshi is quieter than MRD our listed reasons are the primary reason I went with the Yoshi. Also like to go against the grain sometimes.

How about weight difference between stock, MRD, And RS-2 full systems?

I had a RS-3 on my first DRZ, I loved the fact I could easily remove the insert to give it more power or keep it in to keep the noise down. I think the MRD has an insert as well.