Sign in to follow this  

Carburetor help! 1975 Yamaha DT250B

It's a Mikuni VM28SS.  It was running great, but it has been sitting for a month while I did some work on the tank.  Put it all back together with new fuel line, a new fuel filter, and fresh gas, went for a (short) ride and discovered a problem.  It bogs down at anything around 1/2 throttle or more.  Starts, idles and putters around perfectly, but when I give the throttle a twist, it's almost as if it's not getting fuel.  I let off the throttle and all is well again.  I'm hoping I don't have to tear into the carb as those things have always scared me.  Magical devices that have never responded positively to my meddling!  Any advice would be appreciated.

Jeff

You have a plugged main-jet 3p:

Easy fix.  On the bottom of the carb is a hex-plug and just inside the hex-plug is the main-jet.   Number 27 and 36 on the first diagram of this manual:

http://www.mikuni.com/pdf/vmmanual.pdf

Often you can just remove the hex-plug (shut the gas OFF, and let the float-bowl drain into a rag)  and  just blow the jet clean with a pressure can nozzle of carb-cleaner but if that won't work you can loosen the carb clamps and rotate the carb to work on the bottom.  Take off the hex-plug ...just inside is the main jet. Unscrew it with a short flat-blade driver and clean it with a broom-straw or something soft.   When it's clean, screw it back in place gently.....

Worst case scenario is you have to remove the float-bowl to get at the main-jet but it's an easy job and a common problem after a storage period.

good-luck

patuca

update:  Not the carburetor.  Fuel delivery is fine, no plugged main jet, no plugged anything.  Had a friend far more knowledgeable than I take a look today and we're leaning toward an electrical gremlin now...

Jeff