Sign in to follow this  

43mm conventional swap for IT 200

Hi.

I'm looking for a set of 43mm cartridge forks for my 85' IT 200. Would like to go the easy route and

use the stock triples (43mm).

Been looking at DR 350 and various XR Hondas as they are quite plentiful and inexpensive.

My concerns are:

1. That they be cartridge models. and,

2. That they are not too long, as the stock bike has about 10" of travel .I can raise the rear only a little,

and I'd  like to maintain quick steering for woods riding.

3. What years of the above mentioned forks am I looking for?

Any input appreciated.

thats a lot of  fitment issues.....new hub ....spacers....potential loss of odometer........disc conversion ? .... whew......get a set of gold valves and springs and be done

Yes, I am fully aware and ready to purchase the correct wheel and brakes for the forks that I purchase.

Should have mentioned that a disc brake is part of the plan.

I have already done some research. Also am aware that I may need to use  the triples, that go width the aforementioned forks.

Have found on the "All Balls" Site that these forks are compatible with a bearing and maybe a stem change- Only if I need to change triples.

The only reason to change triples would be a width issue with the front axle and spacer. i.e.the width of  the front hub cannot be altered to suit.

but whats the draw to get another set of forks? 

if you want more travel you could always get a set of YZ forks 

Edited by sjsingle1

My reasoning:     After changing springs and playing around with diff. viscosity  and oil levels with the stock forks realizing only minor improvements, and after pricing Emulators, I have decided to sh#tcan these forks.

I also own a 2000 yz250 with  forks that are vastly better than the old IT clunkers, So I have an idea what I'm trying to achieve.

In doing this swap, I,m trying to keep it simple and inexpensive. The 1988 YZ forks are the  only ones that fit my criteria i.e.- stock triples.

The later USD YZ forks require a stem change and machining.Conversely, alot of Honda and Suzuki forks are an easy fit.

I did mention in my original post that I am looking for 10" of travel, not 12", So this leaves some of the motocross forks out.

The DR350 forks I am looking for are 97'-99' models.They will bolt right in, triple offset being identical.

Now I want to know about the Honda XR forks.

Which ones are cartridge?

Are some shorter than others?

i am fixing to tear into my 86 it forks.......new seals ....springs....bushings          and race tech emulators....i will let you know how it goes

the 88 yz forks were the new cartridge type.....but is that setup better than emulators? hmmmm......88 and later cartridge forks also have emulators available 

i like the engineering behind emulators...simple yet effective for dampener rod forks

Edited by sjsingle1

Emulators are for damper rod forks.

Gold valves are for cartridge forks.

I've heard that real cartridge forks are potentially better. You

allready have a disc brake, So maybe emulators are your best bet.

yes.....gold valve for cartridges......like smaller versions of the gold valves for shocks

Finding 43mm forks is not the question asked. Finding 43mm cartridge conventionals is.

I got my answer about DR forks on DR!

Next step, the XR sire.

After that- parts fiche.

Not sure what your measurements are at the triples i.e. center to center, top of upper triple to center of axle. But, I put 88 RM250 forks on a 97KDX200 to upgrade them. (Funny how a 9 year old part is an upgrade, leave it to Kawasaki to be cheap) Anyway, I've since put that engine on a KX125 frame (now that was an upgrade!) and don't need any of that stuff anymore.

The forks already have Gold Valves installed, heavier springs, etc. if you're interested