New CRF 230 Owner here

Hey guys,

Thought I would join seeing that there is a lot of good info on here. Just bought a used 2006 crf230. Pretty good shape but not maintained very well. Only two owners before me and they were friends. Nothing done to the motor at all. No rebuild... Nothing. After thoroughly inspecting the bike, they have taken the snorkel out of the air intake and sounds like the baffle is out. Haven't taken the muffler apart yet.

I pulled the plug and I'd say it's running super lean. See the pic of the plug. Looks like it's cracked too.

Really hard to start when it's cold. Dies, chokes, sneezes out of the intake. Once it warms up, it runs great and pulls hard.

I'm thinking I need to pull the carb, clean rejet, needle, etc.

Anything else I should look for or do?

image.jpg

If you have the original intake restrictor put it back in!  Then get a 45 pilot jet, 120 main jet, and 2003-2005 needle.  When you install the new carb parts also check the float level and then remove the intake restrictor.

You will be amazed at how well it runs after you're done.

Edited by VortecCPI

Mike Coe jetting

Clean and re-oil air filter

Change engine oil

Adjust valves

Use spark arrestor but not the center baffle.

Install New spark plug.

Lube shock linkage, swing arm pivot bearings and fork head bearings

Change fork oil

Change brake fluid

Check /tighten spokes

Purchase OEM factory Honda shop manual & read it.

Lube all cables and the throttle housing after you disassemble and clean first.

Replace chain and both sprockets.

Anything else I forgot?

When finished be very proud of your work and take your bike and ride the crap out of it!!!

Enjoy!!!

• Like 2

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Quick question, what are the stock jets suppose to be? When I pull the carb, I'll need to see if they were swapped or not.

I recommend the Power-Up jet kit for $50.00 bucks.. it will be the best money you spend on the 230F. Also, if you install the power-up kit, you will want to remove the snorkel on top of the breather box, and remove the exhaust baffle so it can breathe. The power-up kit will bring the 230F to life, and make a huge difference in overall performance.

I installed the power up kit, BBR exhaust, removed the baffle and snorkel on my wife's 230F... the bike pulls strong, reliable, dependable, and is bullet proof. Very fun bike to ride for any level rider. Great family bike. 

Good luck.

1215131115-1.jpg

0307141749b.jpg

0530131101.jpg

I recommend the Power-Up jet kit for $50.00 bucks.. it will be the best money you spend on the 230F. Also, if you install the power-up kit, you will want to remove the snorkel on top of the breather box, and remove the exhaust baffle so it can breathe. The power-up kit will bring the 230F to life, and make a huge difference in overall performance.

I installed the power up kit, BBR exhaust, removed the baffle and snorkel on my wife's 230F... the bike pulls strong, reliable, dependable, and is bullet proof. Very fun bike to ride for any level rider. Great family bike. 

Good luck.

But DO NOT use a 132 main jet.  Mike Coe proved on a dyno it is FAR too rich!

"The power-up kit will bring the 230F to life, and make a huge difference in overall performance."  This is a fact!  The difference is quite surprising..

Edited by VortecCPI

Vortec,

I actually don't remember which main jet came with the 230F Power-Up kit... I installed it over a year ago. However, it is the correct main jet for the 230F. The bike does not run too rich, it runs perfect from idle to wide open throttle in all 6 gears. No bogging, no popping on deceleration, and smooth on the top end at high RPMs. I may be wrong, but I think elevation plays a role in main jet selection. Sea level would not be the same requirement for someone living/riding around 5000 feet elevation such as CO or El Paso, TX which is our case.

I ride a FI 450R, so I don't have to worry about jetting issues.. my wife's 230F runs great with the PU kit and other mods. 

Cheers.  

0420141508.jpg

1221131320.jpg

1221131323a.jpg

Vortec,

I actually don't remember which main jet came with the 230F Power-Up kit... I installed it over a year ago. However, it is the correct main jet for the 230F. The bike does not run too rich, it runs perfect from idle to wide open throttle in all 6 gears. No bogging, no popping on deceleration, and smooth on the top end at high RPMs. I may be wrong, but I think elevation plays a role in main jet selection. Sea level would not be the same requirement for someone living/riding around 5000 feet elevation such as CO or El Paso, TX which is our case.

I ride a FI 450R, so I don't have to worry about jetting issues.. my wife's 230F runs great with the PU kit and other mods. 

Cheers.  

Elevation and temperature have an effect on A/F requirements as does humidity and BP.  For every 1,200 feet increase or 9 degrees Fahrenheit increase you must decrease your jetting 1%.  The higher you are and/or the hotter it is the leaner your jetting must be.  If you are riding at 5,000 feet elevation you should be using a 115 main jet.

Edited by VortecCPI

OK, in reading the forums, EVERYONE says to use the Mike Coe setup, which is the 03-05 needle set on 3rd notch, 120 main jet, 48 pilot, with the mixture screw at roughly 1.5 turns out.  I'm at about 700ft.  I realize I will have to do some fine tune adjustments to the mixture screw.

Am I missing something?  Has there been a change to the Power Up Kit?

Also, I have the 2006, so where oh where can I get a "D" socket for the mixture screw?

OK, in reading the forums, EVERYONE says to use the Mike Coe setup, which is the 03-05 needle set on 3rd notch, 120 main jet, 48 pilot, with the mixture screw at roughly 1.5 turns out.  I'm at about 700ft.  I realize I will have to do some fine tune adjustments to the mixture screw.

Am I missing something?  Has there been a change to the Power Up Kit?

Also, I have the 2006, so where oh where can I get a "D" socket for the mixture screw?

None of us know how Honda came up with that huge main jet size.  Start with a 45 pilot jet.

You can use a 2003-2005 mixture screw to replace the "D"-shaped mixture screw.

HondaBullFullPowerParts.jpg

Edited by VortecCPI

Vortec,

Thanks for the info.  Your attachment shows the part number for the 2003-2005 power-up needle.  That's what you are all referring too?  Is there a part number for the #45 pilot jet?

Vortec,

Thanks for the info.  Your attachment shows the part number for the 2003-2005 power-up needle.  That's what you are all referring too?  Is there a part number for the #45 pilot jet?

I put that image there for reference only.  I suggest you use the following parts from the 2003-2005 model:

• Idle mixture screw
  • Needle

Also purchase the following:

• 45 pilot jet
  • 48 pilot jet
  • 120 main jet

The so-called "Full power" needle works fine but Mike Coe and others have found the 2003-2005 works slightly better.  They are also easier to find in stock as they are an OEM model part.  Get a 48 pilot jet just in case the 45 is too small.  My 2009 needed a 48 pilot because I had to turn the idle mixture screw out nearly three turns with the 45 pilot and even more in the winter.

I purchase a lot of parts from http://www.servicehonda.com but I have heard some good things about http://www.discounthondaparts.com as well.  You can also try your local Honda dealer but the guys behind the desk can sometimes be pretty darn worthless and often give you bad information and bad parts.

Edited by VortecCPI

Awesome. Thanks.

So I pulled the carb tonight and disassembled it completely. some tarnish, but not too bad. The guy before me had the power up kit installed. 132 main, 42 pilot, and power up needle with the fuel mix screw set at two turns. Oh, the power up needle has a scratch on it about midway up.

I'm going to order the 120 and 45. I, torn on wether to get the stock 03-05 needle or not? Not sure if that scratch will affect it.

Awesome. Thanks.

So I pulled the carb tonight and disassembled it completely. some tarnish, but not too bad. The guy before me had the power up kit installed. 132 main, 42 pilot, and power up needle with the fuel mix screw set at two turns. Oh, the power up needle has a scratch on it about midway up.

I'm going to order the 120 and 45. I, torn on wether to get the stock 03-05 needle or not? Not sure if that scratch will affect it.

If it is a bad scratch it will make the carb meter rich.  I'd replace it and be done with it.

Great.  Please let us know how it turns out.  Very important - Check/set the float level while you're in the carb.  It should be 12.5mm or 1/2".

Actually, I was looking at that last night.  In some youtube vids, people are holding carb in all different ways while measuring the float level.  Which is the right way?

One last thing, the part number for #45 pilot jet isn't working for my honda dealer.  He's saying it might be a US part number that does not work for Canadian Bikes.  Any ideas?  Google only gives me the same as you list