whos running what for skid plates? plastic/aluminum?

hi everybody... really itchn' to start riding up here in maine. almost done rebuilding my 08 450 and wondering who is running what for skid plates. im looking for full coverage plate as my bike is a woods bike. ive had aluminum ones on my other bikes but my last bike had a plastic one..seemed rugged enough..quiet too.    thoughts???

Of course Aluminum full coverage is going to be the best protection but my new (used) bike has a plastic one.  It seems sufficient for 99% of any foreseeable impacts.  Quiet too and doesn't alter the rigidness of the frame as some claim aluminum does.

I have an 09 YZ450 so I just order the one for the WR.  Removed the factory glide plate and the flimsy plastic water pump cover and bolted it right on.  The one I got didn't have the holes pre-drilled but that was no big deal.

A friend of mine has a plastic skid plate , not sure of brand ,on his 350xcf. I can easily push it in against the sidecase with my foot. I guess to each his own , but if it can be pushed in that easily , i wouldnt trust it to protect my cases. I run a full wrap ktm hardparts aluminum on my 450sxf. Sure i noticed a little more noise initally , but i no longer notice it. i cant understand why , if you are going to slap a skid plate on to protect an expensive engine why put something on that offers less protection . I know the pros bikes look good with the pretty plastic plates, but one thing a guy has to remember,,,they dont pay to replace broken engine cases. I ride in rocky mountainous terrain, no way in hell id trust a piece of plastic.

Plastic skid plates are the best route they deflect more stuff and disperse 80 percent of the shock load. U will actually bend an aluminum skid plate and break ur case be for a plastic one. I've done it. Plastic also slides way better over trees and what not. I put the wrong web address up it is tmdesignworks.com