Sign in to follow this  

The price of dirt bikes are too damn high.

It doesn't make sense that I can get this fz09 new for under 8k.  About the same price of a yz450f.  It doesn't add up.

FZ09_1.jpg

fz 09 msrp ($7990)

street legal 

triple cylinder 847cc engine

fuel injected with 3 riding modes

dual front brakes

etc.

yz450f msrp ($8490)

It doesn't make sense that I can get this fz09 new for under 8k.  About the same price of a yz450f.  It doesn't add up.

FZ09_1.jpg

fz 09 msrp ($7990)

street legal 

dual front brakes

etc.

yz450f msrp ($8490)

Seriously, if I had to choose, it would probably be the FZ, and I stopped riding street back in the late 80's due to injuries.  The salesman should of included insurance with the bike, because I paid 10 times what I paid for the bike in medical bills.  It is ridiculous what "dirt" bike prices are now a days. That's why I stick to clapped out smokers and just fix them up instead. Either one would be 10k out the door.  With 10k, I can do a lot of things besides just buy one new bike.  If and when I hit the lotto (doubtful as I don't play very often), 10k will then be just a drop in the bucket compared to the real expensive toys I'd get.  :devil:

• Like 2

I bought a 2000 WR400F for 1200 a couple years back. Ive put maybe 300 into it and it runs like a champ. Yeah you can go with all the bells and whistles of a 2014 and look cool but it doesnt make any damn sense! Ill stick with the hand me downs from the goons who buy brand spankin new toys after they get rid of their old ones. Im mechanically inclined and can do just about everything.

• Like 1

I bought a 2000 WR400F for 1200 a couple years back. Ive put maybe 300 into it and it runs like a champ. Yeah you can go with all the bells and whistles of a 2014 and look cool but it doesnt make any damn sense! Ill stick with the hand me downs from the goons who buy brand spankin new toys after they get rid of their old ones. Im mechanically inclined and can do just about everything.

gotta love goons hahaha

From 09 t0 12 I bought a new bike every year, I could sell my year old bikes for 500 dollar loss from the initial cost so I considered it worth it for 500 a year to rent a brand new bike, in 12 I bought a left over and still have it, I would say it just depends on how you ride how often and if you have the market to be able to do that year after year. I am one of the goons that prefers a new bike tho!

• Like 2

450 MX bikes are cutting edge new technology.  A lot of issues at play here.  While the FZ9 is a new model it is what I would call a parts bin bike.  The parts and assembly line are most likely shared with many other models and have long since paid for the R&D development. 

• Like 2

If you stop and think about it, the blame for expensive dirt bikes mostly goes to the riders of said bikes. You want to go faster. You want fuel injection. You want better suspension. You want cool graphics. You want, you want, you want. Well, there’s a price that comes with those wants.

• Like 3

Buy a year old bike with all the guards and mods on it for a major discount of buying new.. There's always.. someone.. going through a divorce, having a baby, starting a business,upgrading to a new bike so selling older bikes, moving away, getting married, going to school, needs a car, hurting for money in some way or just plain got bored riding... So they sell and you buy. You can also buy a bike that's 5 or 10 yrs old for waaaay cheap and put a few mods on it and it's just as competitive as a brand new bike. It's still the rider... Buy an old bike and redo the suspension and do a top end.. buy some plastics and graphics and do some maintenance and it's a new bike dialed in for you.. for cheap.. If you are a smart shopper you can find unreal deals.. Buying a brand new bike is a lot of money but if you don't want to spend a lot of money don't buy a brand new bike. Dirt bike riding is a luxury.. and expensive one.. but not as expensive as car racing, or boats, or planes. It's relative.  You could just buy an old xr200 and ride it into the ground and have fun for super cheap. ..all the way to buying something brand new and paying top dollar.. and everything in between. I came back to riding with an 82 xt550 that my friend had lying dead in his chicken coup. I got it free took off the headlight ..put on new cables and grips and tires and went riding... For $300 I was riding trails with this pig.. but it was a fun pig. I had a blast and wasn't sure I was going to come back to riding full on .. but for fun I had this thing that actually ran well . It had crap suspension and didn't handle the best but I was hanging with all the guys in the trails with the cool bikes and the latest riding gear.. So I have a bunch of bikes now and into riding.. just bought a used 13' Beta 300. To me it's as good as the 14's with a few mods added and for a few grand less. I had been riding my 01 cr 250 for 13 yrs and that thing was tricked out and worked great.. All for a total price of just around $8000 or a little more... for 13 yrs.. You don't have to buy new if you don't want to.

This is the cr that I just sold and had for 13 yrs.. I more than had my moneys worth in enjoyment. I bought it for 3k and every year instead of buying a new bike I'd add a few goodies and shop for it little by little.. I never upgraded until now because I just couldn't get a good e start to put on my cr..They dont exist.. so I bought a Beta 300.

I just sold it to a friend of a friend for 2k.. It's a win win. 

Edited by hawaiidirtrider
  • Like 3

You know I never put a price on it before.. That's a pretty awesome. 8k minus 2k  ...6k plus the price of some broken stuff ..waterpump a few times, clutches, regular maintenance stuff, wheel bearings, top end,, and just the lprice of fuel and oils etc go added to the 6k for 13 yrs. The bike rarely broke down.. I broke rear brake pedals and .. tires.. blah blah blah. ..super reliable bike.. That's damn good to me. When I first got the bike I made a list of all the possible mods .. like a wish list of all the trick stuff that I would want.. and I systematically looked at what would make sense to buy and what not to buy and just kept crossing the parts off the list as time went on and I got stuff. I had a list of what I paid and tallied it all then at the end there really wasn't anything to get .

• Like 1

You know I never put a price on it before.. That's a pretty awesome. 8k minus 2k  ...6k plus the price of some broken stuff ..waterpump a few times, clutches, regular maintenance stuff, wheel bearings, top end,, and just the lprice of fuel and oils etc go added to the 6k for 13 yrs. The bike rarely broke down.. I broke rear brake pedals and .. tires.. blah blah blah. ..super reliable bike.. That's damn good to me. When I first got the bike I made a list of all the possible mods .. like a wish list of all the trick stuff that I would want.. and I systematically looked at what would make sense to buy and what not to buy and just kept crossing the parts off the list as time went on and I got stuff. I had a list of what I paid and tallied it all then at the end there really wasn't anything to get .

Damn HDR, you make a lot more sense here than on TS. LOL. Your system is mine also.

Mike

I've said it before and I'll say it again, All the (PRO) riders we have here (LOL) you know the ones 95% of us here that aren't even capable of utilizing all the technology and HP of bikes 5 yrs old keep wanting even  lighter, faster, air forks, anodized hubs,full race exhaust, etc.  Well if I gave any one of you what you wanted, probably wouldn't change your best finish or lap time enough to cough at. So just keep asking, the prices will rise, but you will be the envy of the ride!

Funny my son rides an 2006, still winning races, scoring in top positions against all the NEW HOT BIKES, lighter faster, better suspension, etc. Wonder why, maybe his riding skills are just so much better, you thinK?

So keep asking for factory bikes @ 10K or more, and you will accumulate a lot of those $20 trophys reassuring how skilled you are and justify the cost of your new 10K bike.  Or should I say, you think you will accumulate those throphy's!

• Like 2

Buy a year old bike with all the guards and mods on it for a major discount of buying new.. There's always.. someone.. going through a divorce, having a baby, starting a business,upgrading to a new bike so selling older bikes, moving away, getting married, going to school, needs a car, hurting for money in some way or just plain got bored riding... So they sell and you buy. You can also buy a bike that's 5 or 10 yrs old for waaaay cheap and put a few mods on it and it's just as competitive as a brand new bike. It's still the rider... Buy an old bike and redo the suspension and do a top end.. buy some plastics and graphics and do some maintenance and it's a new bike dialed in for you.. for cheap.. If you are a smart shopper you can find unreal deals.. Buying a brand new bike is a lot of money but if you don't want to spend a lot of money don't buy a brand new bike. Dirt bike riding is a luxury.. and expensive one.. but not as expensive as car racing, or boats, or planes. It's relative.  You could just buy an old xr200 and ride it into the ground and have fun for super cheap. ..all the way to buying something brand new and paying top dollar.. and everything in between. I came back to riding with an 82 xt550 that my friend had lying dead in his chicken coup. I got it free took off the headlight ..put on new cables and grips and tires and went riding... For $300 I was riding trails with this pig.. but it was a fun pig. I had a blast and wasn't sure I was going to come back to riding full on .. but for fun I had this thing that actually ran well . It had crap suspension and didn't handle the best but I was hanging with all the guys in the trails with the cool bikes and the latest riding gear.. So I have a bunch of bikes now and into riding.. just bought a used 13' Beta 300. To me it's as good as the 14's with a few mods added and for a few grand less. I had been riding my 01 cr 250 for 13 yrs and that thing was tricked out and worked great.. All for a total price of just around $8000 or a little more... for 13 yrs.. You don't have to buy new if you don't want to.

This is the cr that I just sold and had for 13 yrs.. I more than had my moneys worth in enjoyment. I bought it for 3k and every year instead of buying a new bike I'd add a few goodies and shop for it little by little.. I never upgraded until now because I just couldn't get a good e start to put on my cr..They dont exist.. so I bought a Beta 300.

I just sold it to a friend of a friend for 2k.. It's a win win. 

Agreed i bought my 01 cr250 off ebay for $471.00 . Rebuilt the engine totally , extensive cleaning, replaced all the bearings and seals . Added the mods i wanted ( billet pegs ect. ect). New plastics and graphics that I liked and you're right it's a brand new old model bike , well about an hour on it. Actually downgraded i guess or some would say I sold my 05 cr250 for rebuild money. Main thing is i'm happy with the outcome and i'm sure it would compete with the new bikes , with the appropriate rider . ( NOW BACK 20 YRS AGO WHEN I RACED THE BAJA ON MY 500 )  :lol:  i loved that thread i couldn't help myself. 

$_57 (1).JPG

IMG_2223.JPG

• Like 1

It all depends on your skill set. Even a brand new bike might not do what you like or fell how you want. It takes hours to dial in a bike. If you can rebuild a used bike you can save a lot of money. I built my cr for about $4500 and I wouldnt trade it for a new bike ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1398059873.825095.jpg

• Like 2

It doesn't make sense that I can get this fz09 new for under 8k. About the same price of a yz450f. It doesn't add up.

FZ09_1.jpg

fz 09 msrp ($7990)

street legal

dual front brakes

How's it handle in the whoops? Triple jumps?
  • Like 2

It all depends on your skill set. Even a brand new bike might not do what you like or fell how you want. It takes hours to dial in a bike. If you can rebuild a used bike you can save a lot of money. I built my cr for about $4500 and I wouldnt trade it for a new bike attachicon.gifImageUploadedByThumper Talk1398059873.825095.jpg

That looks awesome, mail me that stator cover  :lol: