Sign in to follow this  

The vintage Bighorn!

This is my 1971 kawasaki Bighorn F5. Second owner kept inside, torque monster. Wheelie machine! My leg has gotten stronger from the old kick start lol. Absolutely love this bike. Will be taking it down to Carolina Adventure World soon.

1398015305363.jpg

1398015320034.jpg

• Like 4

Nice looking bike!  I restored a 1970 F5 (early model) a while back and I filmed the whole thing.  You can see my bike, see where I pulled it out of, pictures, videos of the whole process, and the finished bike.  See it all here in my Barn Fresh Restoration

Mine is a 1970 early model F5 low engine and frame number (build date 2/70).  By the graphics and color yours is not a 71 it is a 70 model.  Nice to see one still out on the trails.  Cruise around my site as I have all the literature, manuals including the Speed Kit manual and magazine articles all about the Big Horn.  Also you might want to check out my "F9 Project which is a performance build of a Big Horn racer.

Hey Junkman great stuff! I've watched all your videos, as they've been great and informative. This bike is a good trail machine!

• Like 1

I learned a lot of good info for the bark fresh restoration. Question, and suggestions on front fork oil weight? 150lbs. I'll be rebuilding the front forks this week a long with a cr125 as the kawasaki forks are 40+ years old sitting compressed!

Hey Junkman great stuff! I've watched all your videos, as they've been great and informative. This bike is a good trail machine!

Thanks!  I am glad they helped.  Yours is a really nice bike.  Is yours the early or the late engine?  Keep checking my site as I am in the process of scanning ALL the magazine articles about the Big Horn, I have almost all the performance info up as well as my performance build videos.  Just don't have a lot of time to devote to "website" maintenance but more stuff is coming.

I learned a lot of good info for the bark fresh restoration. Question, and suggestions on front fork oil weight? 150lbs. I'll be rebuilding the front forks this week a long with a cr125 as the kawasaki forks are 40+ years old sitting compressed!

You will have to experiment with oil weights for your liking.  The manual says 10wt or ATF.  I use 7.5 wt but mine is street ridden only.  However if your serious about riding your vintage bike I would strongly recommend investing in some Emulators from Race Tech  http://www.racetech.com/page/title/Emulators  Other people and racers alike rave about these things.  I am going to put a pair in my F9 Project forks for motocross.  My F9 Big Horn is an ever evolving bike that I test and try ideas out on, my F5 is a factory accurate restoration show bike.

• Like 1

Ive only seen one kawi bighorn. We were at a hillclimb in eastern oh,some dude was on a bighorn, he attacked the first stage, went airborne,his seat came off in mid air. He cried like a baby . Lol,,,only time i ever saw a bighorn. Poor guy

Awesome bikes, men!

I'm pretty ignorant about kawy's, but I know lust at first site when I see it.

• Like 1