Sign in to follow this  

Polaris Polaris Predator 500 camshaft issue

Hey folks. I'm new to thumper and thought i would ask this question here to solidify the fact that I'm not crazy. Well not totally anyways.

I recently purchased an 04 predator 500 that needed a lot of work. I basicalky got a frame with some plastics and a giant bucket of parts. I about have it all put together and so far actually have all of the parts and am in the process of getting it timed. The problem i am having is that when i set the cams where they are supposed to go, intake on intake side and exhaust on exhaust side of course, the cam lobes are facing each other when i align the dots at 9 and 12. The intake cam looks like the lobes are at about 10 o'clock which is right in my mind but the intake side has the lobes facing in about the 7 o'clock position which seems odd to me.

Setting the timing on these things are simple but not this one. Am I crazy to think that the cam gear has spun on the camshaft and is not in the correct position?

I attached a picture of the lobe position. The motor is at TDC and the cam gear timing marks are aligned at the 9 and 12 o'clock position.

Let me know what you think. I do have never heard of this happening before. I have a set of hot cams coming but just wanted to get some second opinions.

Thanks

The timing marks according to the manual should sit in the 9 and 12 position on the camshaft gear with the exhaust cam slightly advanced and the 9 o'clock position on the intake cam sitting parallel to the head. That is where I have them positioned in this picture and that is where the cam lobes end up. Seems like the exhaust cam lobe is about 90 degrees off.

The manual says that the timing marks on the camshaft gears should sit at the 9 and 12 o'clock position on the intake cam with the 9 o'clock sitting parallel with the head and the same for the exhaust camshaft marking with the exceptions that the exhaust camshaft gear should be advanced by 7 degrees. That is how I have them positioned in this picture and where the cam lobes end up. It seems that the exhaust cam lobe is roughly 90 degrees off.

The manual says that the timing marks on the camshaft gears should sit at the 9 and 12 o'clock position on the intake cam with the 9 o'clock sitting parallel with the head and the same for the exhaust camshaft marking with the exceptions that the exhaust camshaft gear should be advanced by 7 degrees. That is how I have them positioned in this picture and where the cam lobes end up. It seems that the exhaust cam lobe is roughly 90 degrees off.

I thought that at first and yes he had a parts bike there but it is definitely the exhaust cam. It has the auto decompression assembly or whatever that's called. Just thought i was going crazy but just so everyone knows, i guess it is possible for a camshaft gear to slip. I would imagine that if that happened the timing of course would be off and you would either blow a hole in the piston or destroy the valves. I guess that's why he yanked the head off the other bike and installed a new piston and rings and then stopped when he couldn't get it timed right. I will know Thursday or Friday if this thing will run. That's when the hot cams should show up. Hopefully i don't find that it has bent valves. I haven't felt like removing the head yet. Crossing my fingers. In the end I think I will have about 2 into this thing including new rear tires and eventually new plastics and decals.

Of so I finally had a chance to work on this thing and got the new cams installed and the valves shimmer properly, had to figure out where all the fuel hoses connected and so on, and put it all back together. Turned out there was a multitude of incorrect parts in this thing. I had to get an entire clutch assembly, main drive gear, cam crank gear, and a timing chain. What was in the buckets or installed on the bike were the wrong parts completely. Nonetheless it fired right up. Had to fight it to get it to idle and even then it idle horribly. I figure I need to clean the carb again.

I did find that it's spewing oil from the stator side. I'm assuming this is a crank seal gone bad.

Anybody know if the crankcase on the 04 predator has to be split in order to change this seal?

Could it be anything else that would cause it to shoot oil from that side?

Also would this cause the motor to run like crap ad far as throttle response and idle goes? I understand I have a bigger problem than idle and throttle response. Just curious.

Also would a bad crank seal cause low compression. I have about 92lb right now. I have not done a leak down test. I don't have an apparatus so I'm not sure if it is a bent valve or something.

Thanks for letting me pick your brain folks.

I wouldn't doubt if it was some kind of manufacturing defect with the timing gear. I had an 03' with that same junk Fuji engine. I had a cam, (the exhaust I believe) actually break in two. The valve nearest the gear worked while the other not. I also had the transmission drive shaft twist. It stuck in 2nd gear and wouldn't budge. When I tore it down you  could look down the shaft and see an 8th inch twist from one end to the other.

Anyways, good luck with that. My advice...buy one with a KTM engine.

I feel you. I'm going to at least finish this project and ride it some before moving on. I got to ride it once before I relized the carb needs a good old fashion rebuild. It's puking gas everywhere and with the history of the previous owner's shade tree mechanics I better just rebuild it lol.

I adjusted the float to spec and it's still over flowing. Probably just a jet replacement needed but I will just rebuild it. I can drain the bowl and start it right up but after about 5 minutes it drowns in fuel.