Sign in to follow this  

CRF250L or WR250R?

Hey guys I am looking at buying a street legal dual sport for commuting to work and just putting around town.  I have been reading many reviews of the two bikes but I still think I need some advice on which to get.

I am 6 foot 2 and 175 pounds and I have a ton of experience with riding.  I have been riding for over 10 years and currently own a YZ125 strictly for playing in the dirt.  I like the look of the CRF more than the WR but the WR sits a little taller, has more power, and has fully adjustable suspension.  Am I too big for the CRF?  I could definitely invest in some power mods to give it a little more grunt btw.

I suppose the reason I am debating between the two is because used WR250R's are more expensive than a brand new CRF250L.  Does anyone have experience with either one, or both?  Any expertise or advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Derek

I have a 2013 crf250l with a stage 1 kit on it. I love this bike it have WAY WAY more power then stock. And it's cheaper even with the mods. The only thing I don't like it the suspension, it's fine for around town and some trails, but any aggressive riding and it bottoms out. I am 5'9 and 165. It is a bit short for a guy any taller. But I love this bike

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1398024201.633998.jpg

I have a 2013 crf250l with a stage 1 kit on it. I love this bike it have WAY WAY more power then stock. And it's cheaper even with the mods. The only thing I don't like it the suspension, it's fine for around town and some trails, but any aggressive riding and it bottoms out. I am 5'9 and 165. It is a bit short for a guy any taller. But I love this bike

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1398024201.633998.jpg

Hey I am glad you like the bike. Can you help give me some advice though? You think my height would make me uncomfortable on it?

Also, is 8000 miles a lot for a dual sport?

No it's not as long as it's taken care of. An no your weight won't be a Problem, I am 165 170 and it's fine. The wr250 does have a higher seat high and better suspension. What kind of riding are you going to be doing? I got the crf because of the price and it's been a great bike I have about 5,000 miles in mine and it's a 2013 and I got it a year ago

No it's not as long as it's taken care of. An no your weight won't be a Problem, I am 165 170 and it's fine. The wr250 does have a higher seat high and better suspension. What kind of riding are you going to be doing? I got the crf because of the price and it's been a great bike I have about 5,000 miles in mine and it's a 2013 and I got it a year ago

I will probably be doing 50/50 offroad and onroad.  It will by my transportation to work, but will also be a trail bike for me.  I feel like I need the WR because of how much offroad I will be riding.  At my height, it might be uncomfortable to stand on the CRF for long periods of time.

I will probably be doing 50/50 offroad and onroad. It will by my transportation to work, but will also be a trail bike for me. I feel like I need the WR because of how much offroad I will be riding. At my height, it might be uncomfortable to stand on the CRF for long periods of time.

Yea I think the wr would be good for you, and it's a little lighter then the crf,,but not by much. I had to get some rc high bars with a riser to be able to stand we're I wasn't hunched over. I've heard really good thinks about the wr, and if you really want it bad ass look at the stage 1 kits i bet you won't want to get off the thing, i ride mine to work and to the trails all the time.