Sign in to follow this  

Yz125 oil drain bolt &%$#@!ed please help

My friend recently just got his first bike a yz125 in mint condition but doesn't know much about working on anything. I rebuilt the top end on it because the bike came with a new kit and ran out of Time to show him how to do little stuff like how to tighten and lube the chain and tire pressure and all that good stuff... And I didn't get a chance to change the oil. So I told him to go ride it around his yard for a bit to warm up the transmission then drain all the oil out so I could just fill it up when we went riding the next day. We'll he roaches the top half of the bolt head by using a hammer and one of those cheesy little fit anything wrenches with 4 sockets on each end and didn't get the bolt out. So I came over with the right socket and a breaker bar and it was gonna work but I still havent changed the oil in it. So the next day without even asking me he decides to drill out the bolt and try and use a bolt extractor after he tried again to get the bolt out. Now the head is GONE and it still is stuck. How can I get this out? Can I weld a nut to it? Or will this &%$#@! up the case? I don't think I can get vise grips on it... Thanks for any help!

cut a slot in it with a dremel all the way to the outside of the case. This will allow the head of the bolt to loosen up slightly, then you can put a flat head screwdriver in the slot you cut and unscrew it. Hit it with a torch at the same time to loosen things up.

• Like 2

If you have access to a welding machine you could take a 5/8" nut and position it over the top of the drain plug, tack weld the nut to the drain plug on the inside of the 5/8" nut, and then simply remove it.

Edited by Rocket416
  • Like 1

You should be able to get vice grips on that.

• Like 1

If you have access to a welding machine you could take a 5/8" nut and position it over the top of the drain plug, tack weld the nut to the drain plug on the inside of the 5/8" nut, and then simply remove it.

i like this idea. 

make sure you only weld a little at a time. Let it cool then weld again. dont let it get too hot. you can weld inside the middle of the nut and fill the threaded part then use that nut to unscrew it. the heat should help it loosen too...

Whatever you do don't use a chisel and hammer to try and turn it! I know the results 1st hand and you will crack the case before the bolt will turn.

• Like 1

I had this happen to me not too long ago. I took a dremel and cut off wheel and carefully grinded the head of the bolt down. Once binding pressure was off, i was able to hit it with a flat screw driver and hammer to get it lose by hand. Be damn careful you dont mess up the case. It's soft aluminum.

Edited by RagunCajun

Thanks for the replys. I ended up just welding a big ass nut to it and it wasn't even stuck the slightest bit and never was... This kid was just a complete idiot and &%$#@!ed the bolt up using the wrong tools

• Like 1

First I would take a hammer and chisel, set the chisel precisely on the bench and hit your friend in the head with the hammer until he learns to use the right tools! :prof:

• Like 3