Sign in to follow this  

Engine Oil Temperature?

the bike in question is a friends crf450r. Tranny and engine oil are separate. He wants my help modifying some sort of heat exchanger to pass engine oil and coolant as a means to cool his engine oil 'because it doesn't have a way to cool'. Does anyone know if engine oil gets hotter then coolant? I can't say i've even seen an oil cooler on a factory bike or anything. 

Edited by Die_trying

Oil coolers are primarily for engines with piston cooling jets.  Otherwise there really isn't that much heat getting pushed into the oil that can't be removed through simple contact with other surfaces within the engine.  Staged oil pumps is really a better option for reducing heat input into the oil than adding bulky oil coolers.

Edited by 1987CR250R

Engine oil normally runs hotter than coolant.  Temperatures in the range of 250-300 can be pretty typical.  The problem with plumbing in an oil cooler in a wet sump engine is that you have to figure out how to drive the oil through the cooler and back to the engine without starving it for oil or reducing the system pressure, which usually leaves the only practical option to run the cooler in line with the oil feed from the filter to the oil system at full system pressure.

What is your friend doing differently from the intended use with his bike that he believes he needs a cooler that was nor installed at the factory by those who designed it?

What is your friend doing differently from the intended use with his bike that he believes he needs a cooler that was nor installed at the factory by those who designed it?

nothing just more time and money then good sense.