Sign in to follow this  

DRZ 400 SM Power Delivery Twitchy?

I just picked up a used DRZ 400 SM with 18k miles on it and I'm noticing the power deliver at higher RPMs rather twichty. Is this to be expected or is it indicative of something else?

Also when holding the throttle steady at higher RPMs above 50 mph it feels like the power is stuttering.

EDIT: oh yeah, it's 3x3 jetted with quiet MRD

Edited by Slappysan

I have the same problem with mine. Joshi pipe and headesr KnN. after the 3x3 mode same problem at higher rpms wath jeeting is best for my drz live in sandiego ca.

20140417_105829.jpg

I had the same problem.. My vent tube was pinched. Probably not what is causing your problem though

I just picked up a used DRZ 400 SM with 18k miles on it and I'm noticing the power deliver at higher RPMs rather twichty. Is this to be expected or is it indicative of something else?

Also when holding the throttle steady at higher RPMs above 50 mph it feels like the power is stuttering.

it's likely not jetted right. if it has a lean condition, it will do what you described. 

as an easy quick thing you can remove the left side air box cover and ride it. If it gets worse then its too lean, if it gets better then its too rich.

I have the same problem with mine. Joshi pipe and headesr KnN. after the 3x3 mode same problem at higher rpms wath jeeting is best for my drz live in sandiego ca.

I have the same problem. I`m in LA. I think I didn't jet it properly.

I just remove the aire box cover and wen for a ride man in 1 2 3 gear more power i need to ride it at high speed or hihger rpms see wath it dose

Came back from a ride wiht no aire side cover on the free way low end torque increase, response quicker and willis out in second with no clutch high speed not that good i think is better with the side cover on rifing at the freeway. The quetion is wath if i cut couple mor holes on the other side of the air box ? Does it need a little more aire? I have the 3x3 mode done already yoshi full pipe knn filter, dont know jeting zise

moncho, to try your idea put tape over part of the left side of the airbox before cutting new holes. I "think" your jetting is off on the needle and the main which is causing the good power-bad power conflict now. Needle may need to go up or down as well as main may need to go up or down.

Moncho......If it goes better with air box door removed the jetting is too rich......

Check what current carb settings are and report back...

Slappy....Same deal as Moncho...

Mine had same symptoms, try raising your needle a notch. 

Mine had same symptoms, try raising your needle a notch. 

How does one go about raising the needle a notch?

I haven't had much time to run the bike this week because of work but it seems a little better after some Sea Foam. I need to get some more hours on it though to really give it a shot.

I'm noticing that the power seems to stutter around the 6000 RPM (just a guess with no tach) range when I hold the throttle steady but if I give it full gas the stutter stops and the bike accelerates.

At lower RPM the bike is smooth with a steady throttle.