Sign in to follow this  

02 xr650r stumbles around 2000rpm

'02 xr650r- I have owned this bike about 2 years.  Rode about 15 different xr's before I purchased this one (only had about 700 miles).  Ran perfect when I bought it. Unfortunately, bike has sat for a while.  The bike starts easily, 1-2 kicks.  Idles perfectly.  But when you ride it, it will only rev to about 2000-2500 rpms before it stumbles.  Its like the choke is on.  I just took out the jets and cleaned them.    Still runs the same.  (I have not changed or adjusted any carb settings as it ran perfect when I first got it.)  Any ideas?

Did you pull the tube out that the main jet screws into and clean all the tiny holes that run up the sides

of it with a strand from a wire brush. A small spanner gets it out.If not go back into the carb and do it..While you're

there pull the pilot and clean all the tiny holes up the sides of it as well..It in itself (the pilot) isn't your problem but you

may as well check it while you're in there..

For how long have it been sitting around? If more than 3 months then first of all try using fresh fuel. If you left the petcock open then you should also change the oil. Also might try putting a new spark plug if the fresh fuel doesn't help a bit

I did pull both jets and the tubes.  I did not use a wire brush, only soaked in cleaner and then blew with compressed air.  I'll try draining the fuel. Petcock was not left open, but I did not run the fuel out of the bowl before I parked it.  I'll try the new plug as well.

Thanks for the suggestions.  Forgot to mention that the bike had been uncorked/rejetted prior to purchase (and ran perfect after purchase).  Other than the dual sport light kit, it is stock.

Fair enough,,Soaking things in carb cleaner is not adequate but if you think the jets are clean I'm fine with that..It may not

be the problem but if a carb has sat around for months or years with gas in it the stuff needs a bit more than a soaking with

carb cleaner. Fuel turns to a sort of varnish if it's left long enough,,It goes quite hard..Cover the bases,,Do it once do it correctly

then people know that possibility has been eliminated to the best of their knowledge..No one likes repeating themselves over and

over again only to discover something mentioned earlier was not done as it should be.. :blah:

Edited by Horri

Back to normal.  I love my XR.

Cleaned the jets again, changed the fuel, cleaned the petcock...and it runs perfect.

Thanks for all the help.

Did I say I love my XR.