Sign in to follow this  

CRF 250 x Help

Hey everyone,

I was looking at getting a new bike.  I have a KLX250s now and I'm frusturated with the lack of power and heavy weight of the bike. It was a great bike to learn on, but i have no desire to drive the bike on the road so i may as well get a dedicated trail bike. I was thinking about getting KTM 200 exc as well, but i think it may be a little too snappy for me. Im looking to ride tight trails where i would have to lug the bike more often than not, but i also do like short bursts of speed on the trails too. The trails i ride all have deep ruts, big rocks, and really really loose gravel. i just had a few concerns about the 250x

1. I hear these bikes have valve problems

2. How intensive is the maintenance? oil every 10 hours or so? how often do i adjust/check the valves? have to rebuild? i have no idea, i am not mechanically inclined.

3.  Is there anything else about this bike that has been known to give trouble?

if it helps, I'm 22, 6'2" & 190 lbs, intermediate trail rider, not looking to go crazy fast, just looking for a powerful but fun bike. I will not be racing.

Thanks

I have a 2005 250x that hasn't needed a thing but oil changes and washes! If you keep up with the oil and other fluids and keep it clean they are indestructible! As I said mines a 2005 and I haven't even had to adjust the valves

I have a 2005 also. I haven't the maintenance free luck that honda boy has, but I like the bike. However, were I given the choice based on what I know now and your size and trail preference, I would go with a KTM300exc. it's light, and a two stroke so less maintenance. The egos are better than the Japanese bikes. Also, if you care the resale on the bike is better than a Japanese bike. I love my 05 crf250x, but my ktm125exc is way more fun and requires less maintence.

I'd have to say, I'd second the KTM I think if your unhappy with the weight of the KLX.  The CRF250x is no light weight.   You can put it on a bit of a diet, but it's still on the heavy side compared to a 2.  Only thing is, from the sound of what your ride, a 4 is probably a better bet.   If your going to go with a CRF, go from '09 up.  

In regards to maintenance, yes there is quite a bit.  They are after all race bikes and performance was the first priority. 

Stock valves are Titanium with a surface coating.   Nick that coating and they will wear fast.  Also heat is the biggest thing that kills valves so if you live on the rev limiter, you can be replacing the stock valves very quickly.  But if you don't and are good about air filter maintenance, they will last just as long as any other racing bike. 

Once they do wear out, you can replace them with stainless steel, which will last much longer.

Outside of that, there are a few things that can give you trouble, but are easily solved and are no less or more then other bikes.

Oil and air filter changes should be frequent, but the frequency is determined by how you ride. 

Here's a link for the CRF250 owners manual:

http://owners.honda.com/assets/OWNERLINK/model/own_man/powersports/2005/2005_CRF250X.pdf

Check out the competition schedule on page 34 (15 hours on oil) and the non-competition, which is on page 33.   I would follow the competition schedule.

Jim.

Edited by Jim Dettman

I have a 2004 Crf250x and I love this bike!!! When I got it very clean but like 3 months after the vales went down and had to get them adjusted. Right now it's on it's last setting but they say there are no estimated time for the vales to fail they could last a long time or a short time. But other then that it's perfect I just got it street legal perfect to get from trail to trail or just to shoot up to the store. The power is good for a 4 stroke and the weight is not bad I am 16 6 foot and about 180 pounds and I can throw it around. But if you want real power go for the ktm 300exc it's a beast.

Hopefully this sort of helped

I'm 6'2 and 170lbs.  I'll never get rid of my 2008 CRF250X.  This bike continues to impress me.  I came from a 205 YZ250F that I change sprockets out and gave a flywheel weight to help on the trails.

The 250X has been a dream come true.  I bought one after riding my buddy's 2005 CRF250X.  I took it up this rick face and hit a bump, fell off balance and came to nearly a dead stop and mentally said to myself "oh great, now I'm screwed getting up this".  I fully expect to crack a wheelie or stall when I went to proceed up the rock face.  Nope, she grumbled at a low RPM and didn't throw me over backwards.  Just went right up.  Also this bike still has power when you want it.  I'd recommend.  Power comes on very smooth and it's also there if you want it.

I also have a 05 X and it is still on the original valves. Valve problems are not wide spread and Honda says they are caused by improper air filter servicing, but they did change seat material on later models.  I also suspect overrevving which will cause valve float and/or spring surge, either which will severely pound the valve seats.

Stock the engines are marginally lean and really respond to jetting changes, I used the JD jetting kit because it includes everything needed. The dual chamber forks are superb.   The engine has an amazingly broad and smooth power band, not quite as much bottom end as a XR250R but with top end like a XR4.  IMO it is the next gen XR.

You stated that you are not mechanically inclined, so

1. Have lots of money to pay someone else to maintain & repair your bike.

Or

1. Buy a shop manual for what ever bike you buy and don.t be too afraid to tackle at least the maintenance of your bike as per the manual. Fresh oil and clean air filters is the best insurance for a long life.

2. Two stroke bikes are almost always lighter, less expensive for parts, easier to fix or repair when it come's to the motor. I prefer my CR 250 and CR500 over my CRF 250X for most riding & competing. However it and my old XR are friendly bikes to ride if casual riding or trying to teach riders & provide trouble free ownership. It's hard to beat a Honda!

3. Before buying any bike, see if you can test ride a friends bike, some dealers even have demo days or bikes.

4. What dealer is near to you that is into off road bikes, stocks parts and has a good reputation.

5. I know several people who currently have the KTM 200 or who have had one, good power, light weight an excellent replacement for your KLX 250.

stick with the Honda they wear out a lot less than a ktm and even with the valve maintenance it will work out cheaper I know I have raced both.

I have a '12 250x that I used on the Newfoundland trails for riding all last summer.  The grunt was good for our terrain, and weight was easily manageable for me (6', 170 lbs).  No problems with valves so far.  Your going to have maintenance no matter what bike you run so you have to learn/pay either way.

Honda One in town has great service and most common parts.

On the flip side, fun and fast just picked up KTM line and have a few on the floor.  There service is not up to par with Honda one though from what people tell me.

I was into fun n fast on topsail road & just bought the 200 Xcw 2t. Going to learn maintenance myself. Thanks everyone appreciate the information.

Nice bike, was there looking at that exact bike a while back.

My last piece of advice, do yourself a favour if your going to be riding our rocky @^& rockrut paths, put a pipe guard on that thing.  Mangled the pipe on my 2T quick when I first moved back to NL