Sign in to follow this  

Yz85

The YZ85 is a very capable bike,

I have owned one for the past 2 years and i have found it very easy to set up for myself, a 5' 10" rider.

I recently installed a PC Full System on my YZ and now it can hang with and over take every bike on the track, throttle response very much improved.

I personally think that this bike had something special, the ergonomics, even for a big rider are great, suspension is fantastic, engine is superb and it will rev to the moon and back.

Any questions feel free to ask! 

Well I havent had anything go on me after 90 hours and not rebuilt yet but just the normal stuff, like tubes, levers, that kind of stuff, maybe a set of bars if it has stock bars! But nothibg major! Just your normal stuff :)

My son raced a YZ85 for a year. They are a pretty tough bike. That being said I went thru 2 top ends a crank and clutch. But thats a full season of MX on a used bike so I guess I cant complain that much.

Having said that if I would do it again I would put him on a bike with a power valve so he would have a little more bottom end. Say a RM85.

IVe owned 3 yz85s though (bought to fix and sell) they are a pretty tough bike with plenty of good spare parts to be found.

The YZ has it's ups and downs. I've spent a lot of time riding one that was essentially bone stock.

What's great:

• Awesome top end power
  • Great ergonomics for small and large riders
  • Good brakes
  • Solid transmission
  • Feels light.
  • Extremely stable and confidence-inspiring
  • Fun

What's bad:

• Power nonexistent until mid-high revs (no powervalve)
  • Bad clutch (mushy, fades fast, especially bad with no low end power)
  • Vague front end feel
  • Slow turning and doesn't like to hold an inside line

The YZ isn't the best choice for a bike to use at a motocross track. The combination of its' lazy handling and unreasonably peaky power make it a chore to keep up with the other, more manageable bikes. However, the huge amount of power and high-speed stability make a great desert bike.