Outta here..

40 hours on my bike and I've yet to have a problem with my forks.  I'm not a fast rider though.  I have noticed on a couple of occasions that after checking my pressure the air valve sticks and leaks.  If I pump a few lbs of air in and bleed off to desired pressure the valve will seal back up.  I'm wondering if others are not catching the valve leaking and ride with little to no air in the fork.  Could that cause the constant seal problems?  The air leak would be hard to catch in noisy areas.

Turns out I'm not out of here. I got the forks fixed for now but, after doing some more bike research, because I was just going to buy a 14, there's nothing to buy. The KTM's have vibration issues, the Honda is slow and has the same forks anyways, Suzuki's suspension needs help too and is twitchy, the Yamaha, well that's just not going to happen.  

I guess I look for some '12 forks and ride on.

• Like 1

The only time i've ever got a leak is with a nick in the tube. And that was on my KTM 350 too, except those forks were crap! Obviously you have air behind the seal pushing the oil out, I rode an entire race weekend with a leaky seal and it was fine. I never noticed a thing. Start opening up the dust seals and cleaning, especially after a wash when the hard water deposits on the tube. Im not sure how you can go through so many seals unless you have knicks in the tube that were not polished out properly. Ive toasted one seal and ive had a 13 and 14 kx450. Oh ya good luck with the KTM suspension hahaha.

I have 30 hours on mine. Zero problems. My buddy had 60 on his and zero problems. He now has skf seals and working good.

I wipe my tubes down after a wash and make sure everything is clean.

Another thing to note is keeping the two tubes parallel. This will slow bushing and seal wear extending their life.

This issue sounds hit or miss with different folks, could it be the terrain/dirt type?

I have 30 hours on mine. Zero problems. My buddy had 60 on his and zero problems. He now has skf seals and working good.

I wipe my tubes down after a wash and make sure everything is clean.

Another thing to note is keeping the two tubes parallel. This will slow bushing and seal wear extending their life.

This issue sounds hit or miss with different folks, could it be the terrain/dirt type?

I don't think its the terrain or dirt type or an issue with centering the front axle. My buddy has the some bike with zero issues. I'm stupid about maintenance and cleanliness. I've never had fork issues like this in all my years. I just went through the forks and there's no nicks or dents.

I guess I'm going to keep some extra seals and tools around to fix things on the spot.

• Like 1

Isn't this a kx450 forum? KiTMotorcycle lovers go away! Haha kawi all the way. Just get a new suspension set up n don't duck with it until it's smoked then get another. If your comfy on kawi then stick with it cuz different bikes are different ride styles. Switch bikes and you're switching your ride style

Don't pressure wash your bike! Scrub n rinse. Never pressure wash unless you're going to rebuild right after

Pressure washer is just fine. It's all I use for the last few years. Just avoid the wheel bearings, linkage, electrical and radiators.

Edited by skthom2320
  • Like 1

Turns out I'm not out of here. I got the forks fixed for now but, after doing some more bike research, because I was just going to buy a 14, there's nothing to buy. The KTM's have vibration issues, the Honda is slow and has the same forks anyways, Suzuki's suspension needs help too and is twitchy, the Yamaha, well that's just not going to happen.  

I guess I look for some '12 forks and ride on.

I agree with you on your assessment that there isn't anything else to buy lol! Except I did have a 13 KTM 450SXF and the vibration wasn't noticeable at all. I just wanted to try the green bike and happy I stumbled on it. Suits my riding style perfectly.

Edited by skthom2320

Pressure washer is just fine. It's all I use for the last few years. Just avoid the wheel bearings, linkage, electrical and radiators.

or just don't use pressure. Either use pressure n be careful or don't either. Your choice. Sometimes pressure is the only way to get thick caked on mud off. I had to use it today after an enduro but bike is trashed anyway so it doesn't even matter lol

I agree with you on your assessment that there isn't anything else to buy lol! Except I did have a 13 KTM 450SXF and the vibration wasn't noticeable at all. I just wanted to try the green bike and happy I stumbled on it. Suits my riding style perfectly.

Interesting, most guys I talk to said there's vibration issues in the bars. I had a 13' KTM 350 and that thing was had horrible bar vibration and forks were nothing special either. I spent $400 with pinnacle for a revalve and it didn't help much. I guess I'm a little babied with the plushness of the air forks these days.

Don't pressure wash your bike! Scrub n rinse. Never pressure wash unless you're going to rebuild right after

I've pressure washed my bikes for the last 10 years with no problems, just don't be a jackass and hold it for 3 minutes/ 1 inch away from linkage and you'll be fine.  I have never had a problem.  I couldn't imagine not having a pressure washer.

I hand clean my fork tubes after each wash with a micro-fiber towel, then I put the 'fork shox' wrap around the outer/ inner tube.  It doesn't look terribly cool for us MX'ers, but since I've run them I haven't had a problem (I also had a '13 CRF 450 which were the worst air forks as far as reliability is concerned).

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Preferences
§
-
=
Backspace

Tab
q
w
e
r
t
y
u
i
o
p
[
]

Return

capslock
a
s
d
f
g
h
j
k
l
;
'
\

shift
`
z
x
c
v
b
n
m
/
shift

English

Deutsch

Español

Français

Italiano

Português

Русский

alt
alt

Preferences

I have just about 75 hours on mine and no problems yet. seals at every 20hrs. PSF hold up great for 1hr+ long hare scrambles.