Sign in to follow this  

how back I can go with KTM500exc

Hi, I am thinking to buy Ktm500exc and wondering how back in models I can go but still have good bike. You know - trying to find a sweet spot between the price and features. Although I can get new bike I would prefer to spend money for extra farkles rather than plainly donate to the dealers. I am not racing and do mostly tight woods and steep slopes.

I was talking about 500-sh volume, whatever around those cc. It does the job, I tried one and its perfect, taking into account I need to commute for an hour or so on hiway to get there...

I was talking about 500-sh volume, whatever around those cc. It does the job, I tried one and its perfect, taking into account I need to commute for an hour or so on hiway to get there...

1 hour on a highway with dirt tires?

For one year rego of the car I can buy set of tires every month. Nah, doesn't work coz I enter from one side and exit from other side of the range. I am not racing around the tree...

Folks let's channel discussion along the question lines. I was doing this thing for years and there is no better way. Unfortunately my bike was stolen and I am looking for new one.

Folks let's channel discussion along the question lines. I was doing this thing for years and there is no better way. Unfortunately my bike was stolen and I am looking for new one.

You have answered your own question.... The discussion hasn't changed.

Well I was asking about what year of KTM to buy but suggestions moved to the tires and trailers. I don't see where my question was answered... ;)

I got a 2000 520 exc and I mostly woods ride including rocky hills and such. I have a 53 tooth rear sprocket and I can tractor up just about anything with it barely on the gas and creep down trails without having to modulate the clutch and wear out my hands. Also the e start is nice.

If i was doing a lot of road time with a big bore KTM I would look at the older RFS models (07 and earlier 525's). They had a pretty bulletproof engine and were good bikes. Or... If you can swing it, the 12 and newer 500's are great. The 08 - 11 530's were a bit less reliable so they would not be my first choice for a bike that would see a lot of miles. The Husaberg 570 would be an even better choice in my opinion (fuel injected) and they can be found for a good price.

CoKTM

For one year rego of the car I can buy set of tires every month. Nah, doesn't work coz I enter from one side and exit from other side of the range. I am not racing around the tree...

I rego'd 1* Suzuki Sierra today. $650 or so.

A few weeks back I bought new tires and I reckon it came to nearly $300.

To answer your question you could buy the 525 or 530 KTM, the older the more dubious the handling and wear. I rode one of the 'worst' years and didn't find it too bad at all.

Berg doesn't have kick start. :( About the tires - I put new tires just before bike was stolen - $70 front $120 rear. I am looking at 525 at the moment , I was riding one and it was fantastic comparing to my KLX

Berg doesn't have kick start.

Your car doesn't have a kick start either. Both are reliable enough that it is not a real concern. One of my riding buddies has put a couple hundred hours on his Berg with no starting issues. My point... I would not let the kick starter be a deal breaker. 525's are reliable for many many miles and would be a good choice if that is the price range you are looking at.

CoKTM

Your car doesn't have a kick start either. Both are reliable enough that it is not a real concern. One of my riding buddies has put a couple hundred hours on his Berg with no starting issues. My point... I would not let the kick starter be a deal breaker. 525's are reliable for many many miles and would be a good choice if that is the price range you are looking at.

CoKTM

I love the berg 570, but no kicker is not cool deep in the outback.  I found a poor soul on a KTM with no kicker and a dead battery out in the hills.  No way to pop start it, he was farked.  Seems I remember that a kicker could be added?  I might be wrong there.

btw, where can I get one at a good price :)

Edited by Slackkinhard

btw, where can I get one at a good price :)

Yea... Maybe they are a bit harder to fine in your neck of the woods. Here in Colorado they go through CL pretty regular.

CoKTM