Sign in to follow this  

1000 mile trip?

I'm taking a trip from Omaha to Denver this summer. I was originally planning to fly but now I'm considering taking my CRF250L. Round trip, it's probably close to 1100 miles. Anyone gone on a trip this far via dirt bike? I'm estimating 8 - 8.5 hours each way. And this would be a good opportunity to outfit and test it as a proper adventure bike.

The farthest I've gone was 500 miles round trip on my old CRF230L. Due to flooding, road closures, and alternate routes, it took a bit over 5 hours one way (250 miles). Was a bit rough but I survived, but kind of fun to take such a scenic route on a motorcycle. So far I think the 250 has a more comfortable seat than the 230 did.

I'd have to mount a luggage rack, something simple is okay. Overall I'll be traveling pretty light, just a few changes of clothes, my laptop, and maybe a tent. I'm meeting some friends out there and we may go camping. I've got a nice waterproof duffel bag that I've used on bike trips before.

Definitely need a way to carry spare fuel, to be safe 4 - 5 gallons. There's nothing out there in western Nebraska and northeast Colorado and I'd hate to have a headwind, only get 40 mpg, and get stranded. I was looking at the 2-gallon Rotopax. Any opinion on those? I'm thinking I could mount two of those to the cargo rack and tie down my duffel bag on top.

Finally I'd need a 12-volt socket so I can keep my phone charged. I'd probably get a cheap pair of noise-isolating ear buds too. There's never any traffic west of Lincoln so music won't be a bad distraction, and I don't want to expose my ears to 8+ hours of wind noise.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Edited by mott555
  • Like 1

Sounds fun!

If you have a Battery Tender tail, there's a USB adapter you can get to charge a phone with. Pretty neat, just plug into tail that already on bike.. If you don't have one, it's not a bad idea to get a Battery Tender anyways. Double win!

The furthest I have gone in one trip was between 1800 miles and 1900 miles.

I do about 3 x 1000 mile trips per year, and regularly do 350 mile day trips for fun (about once every 2 weeks)

Edited by Positron007
  • Like 3

Sounds fun!

If you have a Battery Tender tail, there's a USB adapter you can get to charge a phone with. Pretty neat, just plug into tail that already on bike.. If you don't have one, it's not a bad idea to get a Battery Tender anyways. Double win!

I do have a battery tender tail so I'll have to see what I can find.

The furthest I have gone in one trip was between 1800 miles and 1900 miles.

I do about 3 x 1000 mile trips per year, and regularly do 350 mile day trips for fun (about once every 2 weeks)

Okay so I'm not crazy. Or at least not as crazy as Positron. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

I do have a battery tender tail so I'll have to see what I can find.

Okay so I'm not crazy. Or at least not as crazy as Positron. :thumbsup:

I'm on my phone, but if you go to Amazon and search Battery Tender USB charger, it'll come right up.

EDIT: Think I got it: http://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tender-081-0158-Disconnect-Charger/dp/B00DJ5KEF4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1398045294&sr=8-1&keywords=battery+tender+usb+charger

Edited by Old Goat Ninja
  • Like 1

My longest trip on a duel sport was to Alaska and back to Oregon two up on my R-1100 GS--almost 4k miles--fun but it rained a LOT- :banghead: -not fun on the dirt (muddy) :facepalm: roads we traveled--this was in 95-- :thumbsup:

• Like 3

https://goo.gl/maps/tNmyL

If I had the time to spend 9.7 hours I would choose this route ....  :thumbsup:

I am sorry to say but, .... this bike has no place on the interstate ...... back road highways ... it is right at home ...  :ride:

Just my opinion of course and you can ride how ever you like ....  :cheers:

Edited by gnath9
  • Like 2

I had 2,500 km (about 1562 miles) trip over 4 days, last day was 500 miles straight back home half highway half backroad highway. All miles on knobbies :)

And I was going with 3 Versys, 1 TDM and another dtracker 250, so mostly we were trying to keep speed with the big guys at avg 120 km/hr. And blasting through them on back road.

It's fun, surprisingly comfortable than I thought but I always like to have a bit extra power and fuel range.

• Like 1

I've taken it on the interstate before, was able to maintain 75 mph without going WOT. I doubt it'll do 80 mph which is the speed limit for much of I-80, but there's usually little traffic so it shouldn't be much trouble.

My engine has really woken up now that I'm past 300 miles, I had trouble with headwinds when I first got it but not any more.

That other route looks like fun. If I was riding just to ride I'd go that way instead.

• Like 1

Any suggestions for a cargo rack? I was looking at the ones on the Thumper Talk store and the Moose Expedition Racing rear rack looks decent. I'd really like something like their luggage rack system but where the side mounts are Rotopax-ready (and not $400 either lol).

Any suggestions for a cargo rack? I was looking at the ones on the Thumper Talk store and the Moose Expedition Racing rear rack looks decent. I'd really like something like their luggage rack system but where the side mounts are Rotopax-ready (and not $400 either lol).

I like this one from CRF'sOnly .... I think a custom fabricated home made "Moose" style would be the way to go for long multi day travels ...  :thumbsup:

There are some threads on racks around here somewhere for the adventure types. 

crfsonly-crf250l-rack.jpg

Well after watching an overview video on Rotopax I realized I'm overthinking this. A single top mount on the cargo rack should work perfectly. They have extensions so you can stack them up. I could easily fit a pair of 3-gallon fuel cans on the back of the bike, for 8 gallons total which ought to give me at least 400 miles range assuming 50 mpg which is low for this bike. They also have a 2-gallon storage pack, perfect place to put a first aid kit or some other supplies.

Now to start adding stuff up and seeing if I can budget for it. This trip will be expensive, but I'll be all set up for future trips.

• Like 1

I'd have to mount a luggage rack, something simple is okay. Overall I'll be traveling pretty light, just a few changes of clothes, my laptop, and maybe a tent. I'm meeting some friends out there and we may go camping. I've got a nice waterproof duffel bag that I've used on bike trips before.

If you're not camping/changing clothes on the way send the duffel bag a day or so in advance. No point carrying stuff you aint gonna use ;)

• Like 3

The 3gal rotopax on the back of the CRFL would be huge, not to mention a lot of weight!  I have that CRFsOnly rack pictured above and I have a 1.75gal rotopax that hangs over the sides of that, I cant imagine a 3gal.  I would think one 3gal rotopax would be plenty thou, gas stations arent THAT far appart, especially if you want to take the interstate route.  Just with the 3 gal rotopax should give you over a 250mile range which I would think would be more than enough.  Or get two 1.75s or two 2's, just seems to me like the 3gals would be massive on the tail of the CRFL.  I can feel the extra weight back there just from a 1.75gal.

From what I can tell on their website, the 3 gallon ones are 4.5" thick and otherwise the same dimensions as the standard 2 gallon. Stacking them up gives 9" of fuel can, 12" if I get the storage pack too, with a small duffel bag tied on top. And most of that will be removed from the bike before I hit the trails. Might look a little goofy but I really want the peace of mind. I've run out of fuel before on trips where I normally wouldn't have, due to strong headwinds cutting my mpg in half. And that was on a bike that had reserve so I know exactly when I had half a gallon left. This 250L seems to read empty when it gets down to half and I really don't like the uncertainty that causes.

Instead of two 3-gallons I might get a 3-gal and a 2-gal. Slightly less overkill on spare fuel, a little less weight, and a bit more versatility in options if I'm going somewhere and don't need everything.

Edited by mott555