Sign in to follow this  

spring locking nut

Hey Guys,

I have a 2012 400S. I want to stiffen the spring a tad more. I have removed the right plastic panel and have soaked the entire thing with WD-40, I have banged the crap out of the rings to move with a big flat screw driver and a good size hammer....It doesn't budge!!!

The teeth that I have been hitting are about to become uselss. BTW, the bike is on the stand to take the tension off a little.

Any idea? why the heck they have this so TIGHT!!!

I dont want to strip the whole bike and remove the rear shock to accomplish such a simple task. Any suggestions?

BTW, since I want to stiffen the spring (take the sag away), I have also hit the lower nut trying to turn it clock wise but even that doesnt move....Neither one moves, almost as if they are mated together.

No reason for them to be that tight.  Assuming you are going in the right direction (hitting the top lock nut near the front of the bike from the right side) it normally loosens up with a few good whacks.  A punch is better than a screwdriver (more contact area).  About the only other option is off the bike and take it to a shop with the right spanners.

Shock will come out the right side with the exhaust off and the suspension links off.

Yes, I am hitting in the right direction, CCW for the locknut to loosen and CW for the adjusting screw to stiffen.

I'll go get a punch right now from HD! but I can't imagine why this thing hasnt moved

Yes, I am hitting in the right direction, CCW for the locknut to loosen and CW for the adjusting screw to stiffen.

I'll go get a punch right now from HD! but I can't imagine why this thing hasnt moved

Take the weight off the bike,it will make life much easier loosening or tightening the nuts/spring.The top jam nut should only require a good tap to break it loose it from the lower nut then you will be able to turn the spring to adjust up or down then snug the top nut.

bike has been on the stand, wheel off the ground. Home Depot was closed when I got there due to Easter.

I dont understand, I hit this thing hard enough that bike was going to fall off the stand...it wouldnt budge..the teeth have been damaged from getting hit so much....they may have put some red locktite and torqued it down hard, its almost as if it was welded.

If it's that tough, I'd remove it from the bike.  A shock spanner or even a large pair of channel 460 pliers should break it free.  You can put the shock in a soft jaw and then your bike won't want to fall over.  As Noble said, remove the exhaust, disconnect the linkage (dogbone), and the upper and lower shock bolts and it easily comes out the right side.

if possible lever it rather than hitting it. when you hit the shock it will bounce in the linkages taking away most of the force of the blow

bike has been on the stand, wheel off the ground. Home Depot was closed when I got there due to Easter.

I dont understand, I hit this thing hard enough that bike was going to fall off the stand...it wouldnt budge..the teeth have been damaged from getting hit so much....they may have put some red locktite and torqued it down hard, its almost as if it was welded.

look to see if you've rolled over the tooth of the lock nut into the adjuster nut. the lock nut should only need a light spray of penetrating oil to break the corrosion, then a couple of pops with a drift and hammer to loosen, then spin freely. the adjuster should need nothing more than penetrating oil, then spin freely. 

I'll hit it again with a punch this evening, if it doesnt move, will take it off. I just hate to have to go this far for a simple thing.

No the tooth hasnt rolled over the adjusting nut.

I'll hit it again with a punch this evening, if it doesnt move, will take it off. I just hate to have to go this far for a simple thing.

No the tooth hasnt rolled over the adjusting nut.

take a pic of that lock nut? I wanna see the damage ;)

I borrowed my friend's 3/16 punch and it only took 3-4 light taps. ...what a freaking difference!

Where do i buy the touch up paint, I've scraped the frame from squeezing the screw driver and punch in there.

I did one full rotation of the adjusting nut and it improved my sag by close to 1/2". Time to hit the trail and experiment again.

Thanks guys!

Edited by CaptainReza

I borrowed my friend's 3/16 punch and it only took 3-4 light taps. ...what a freaking difference!

Where do i buy the touch up paint, I've scraped the frame from squeezing the screw driver and punch in there.

I did one full rotation of the adjusting nut and it improved my sag by close to 1/2". Time to hit the trail and experiment again.

Thanks guys!

good job m8 :D