Sign in to follow this  

Registering an out of state bike in California?

I bought a 2004 KTM 450 EXC from private party in Wyoming. When I went to register it at the DMV they said they cannot register it because it does not have the required vin markings. The vin number on the frame is short 5 digits. I went to three different DMV offices and none of them can help me or even direct me to someone who can. I was told by some friends that a CHP officer can act as a referee and approve the bike to be registered. Does anyone have any experience with this problem? I would be grateful for some help. I have had the bike for a couple of years and I have not found any direction to get this bike legally registered. Thanks for reading my post and I would be very grateful for some advice.

You cannot register a non-factory dual sport in California. Not since 2004.

You might be able to do it thought the AAA office, but it's a long shot. Once the DMV catches it they'll revoke it anyhow.

Can you keep it registered in Wyoming? While technicall not legal, it would be your best bet.

It is an off highway vehicle only.  Back in 2004 the EXC was an off road only bike. At least this one is.

It does have less digits in the Vin than standard California Vin numbers have.

I bought a 2004 KTM 450 EXC from private party in Wyoming. When I went to register it at the DMV they said they cannot register it because it does not have the required vin markings. The vin number on the frame is short 5 digits. I went to three different DMV offices and none of them can help me or even direct me to someone who can. I was told by some friends that a CHP officer can act as a referee and approve the bike to be registered. Does anyone have any experience with this problem? I would be grateful for some help. I have had the bike for a couple of years and I have not found any direction to get this bike legally registered. Thanks for reading my post and I would be very grateful for some advice.

If I understand your post, you want to register it to get a plate??? Not going to happen, you are required to register it for a sticker (red or green) to ride or even transport the bike in Ca. My advice is ask the Mod to move this thread to the Ca regional section, or start a thread in there. You will get some people calling you a Troll but you will also get very good info on this topic, as we deal with the Ca. DMV on a regular basis. You could search the Ca. Section also, I think we have this topic once a month.

Good luck, billybadassOK

• Like 1

The CHP isn't a referee really.  But they need to verify it meets legal standards for a road bike...  and verify it is not stolen.  If needed they can even issue a VIN for it.  This is required when you build a custom one off chopper from scratch.  There are ways to get just about anything registered...  but legally that bike is just as Billy says...  a Green sticker off road bike.  But if the CHP wants to approve it for Highway use don't argue.   

Take it to the CHP inspection center with the proper DMV forms in hand and see where it goes.

I just went through that and I'll NEVER again buy an out of state bike (I live in San Diego, CA ). While I had a clear VIN , the engine number tag was hit by a rock (looked like) so two of the numbers in the middle were unrecognizable.  So I called Honda and gave them all my info and they were not going to give me any info, but I told I just want to verify it's not stolen..so I gave them the VIN and the engine numbers i had and they gave me the two in the middle and after they gave them to me, I could see they were in fact correct.

Then I had to take it to DMV and have the CHP examine the bike and engine (which was in parts in a box).

I guess I might do it again, but I'd definitely take some off the price for the hassle it is going to be.  I finally got it registered and noticed the cases (both left and right) are cracked. I bought an engine from a friend I met here at Thumper talk, but I really don't want to throw that engine in as I'll have to go through a whole engine change paperwork, and DMV hasssle.

So, I'm going to take a crack at welding the cracks... I've got nothing to lose. but cracked cases.

I feel for you. But I look at it as tuition, since I plan on buying junkers, fixing them and selling them.

is this the number on the head of the frame? It should have 17 digits. What does your Wyo title say on it for numbers?