Sign in to follow this  

Washington 12 hour race ironman ?'s

I'm seriously debating entering the ironman class. I'll have people to help me pit. I love endurance challenges. Besides the normal stuff to keep going during the race, any suggestions?
I'm riding a mellowed out 2005 YZ250 with WR gears. My ass is callused up from the D100.

Just downloaded last years results. Looks like there were 17 Ironman finishers. Awesome!!!

Looks like we finish in the dark so I have 3000lumen LED lights ran off 2/20volt dewalt batteries. Any thoughts...? I might end up on a team of three if they show up, but want to be ready!

Who else is going?

Luke Pagel

Edited by olyluke

I raced on a team in the 24hrs of glen helen this past year. We also used 2 YZ 250s. Definatlely a good bike for long hauls as the weight of a 450 wears you out much faster... we changed oil once and air filters every 3 ish hours. keep an eye on clutch abuse... we ended up swapping a clutch because we were afraid it may fail. 

Lights are a large concern... the better your lights are... the more fun you will have. I had the most light of our team... my lap times were almost consistant with daytime. Ebay has some bicycle headlight sets for 50 bucks that worked fairly well. I ran 1 of these ebay lights for spot and 1 Nightrider flood on my helmet as well as the bikes headlight... for some of our guys the helmet lights didnt agree with dust; as it tends to cause "white out"...  Riding in the dark was rad. 

have fun

I raced on a team in the 24hrs of glen helen this past year. We also used 2 YZ 250s. Definatlely a good bike for long hauls as the weight of a 450 wears you out much faster... we changed oil once and air filters every 3 ish hours. keep an eye on clutch abuse... we ended up swapping a clutch because we were afraid it may fail. 

Lights are a large concern... the better your lights are... the more fun you will have. I had the most light of our team... my lap times were almost consistant with daytime. Ebay has some bicycle headlight sets for 50 bucks that worked fairly well. I ran 1 of these ebay lights for spot and 1 Nightrider flood on my helmet as well as the bikes headlight... for some of our guys the helmet lights didnt agree with dust; as it tends to cause "white out"...  Riding in the dark was rad. 

have fun

I'm seriously debating entering the ironman class. I'll have people to help me pit. I love endurance challenges. Besides the normal stuff to keep going during the race, any suggestions?

I'm riding a mellowed out 2005 YZ250 with WR gears. My ass is callused up from the D100.

Just downloaded last years results. Looks like there were 17 Ironman finishers. Awesome!!!

Looks like we finish in the dark so I have 3000lumen LED lights ran off 2/20volt dewalt batteries. Any thoughts...? I might end up on a team of three if they show up, but want to be ready!

Who else is going?

Luke Pagel

I will be there to IM it this year.  I have done the 24 hour 9 times (I did not go the first year, or last year) and the more light you can have the better.  However, for the 12 hour there is really only about an hour and a half where you really really need light (if the weather is good) so what you are going with will work on the YZed.  Good bike for out there.  Not too much power to beat you up, light in weight, easy to ride.

YZ 250's are a solid mount, and will hold up just fine with little maintenance. Like the others have said, the more light you have, the more fun you will have! Ride hard, & smart!!!

Mitch, if you catch a flight into the Tri-Cities on Friday afternoon and out on Sunday morning, Seymour and I will pick you up and drop you off on the way.  We are going to stay at the hotel in Goldendale Fri and Sat nights (hot showers!) and drive back to MT on Sunday.  I'd race my XR and you can have the KTM if you want.

• Like 1

I will be there to IM it this year.  I have done the 24 hour 9 times (I did not go the first year, or last year) and the more light you can have the better.  However, for the 12 hour there is really only about an hour and a half where you really really need light (if the weather is good) so what you are going with will work on the YZed.  Good bike for out there.  Not too much power to beat you up, light in weight, easy to ride.

Mitch, if you catch a flight into the Tri-Cities on Friday afternoon and out on Sunday morning, Seymour and I will pick you up and drop you off on the way.  We are going to stay at the hotel in Goldendale Fri and Sat nights (hot showers!) and drive back to MT on Sunday.  I'd race my XR and you can have the KTM if you want.

Eric! You are the MAN!!! I will definitely consider this as an option while I continue planning this out all summer long. My YZ250 will be the preferred bike, but if something happens we will talk about your machine as Plan B.

Thanks Eric!!! :thumbsup:

Eric! You are the MAN!!! I will definitely consider this as an option while I continue planning this out all summer long. My YZ250 will be the preferred bike, but if something happens we will talk about your machine as Plan B.

Thanks Eric!!! :thumbsup:

If you are determined for the YZed, I can always make sure that Tom's foot stays broken and there is your YZ250 with a big stator....

• Like 1

LOL! That boy is getting too old to keep riding! His YZ is a nice machine for sure, but mine will be ready for the 24hr, and it'll smoke him!!!

I'm going to have to park my KTM at the top of the pumpkin patch around 3am (I will put some beer in my Camelback) and watch this go down.  The mentality of both of you will be to run yourselves into the ground to not lose to the other...

His YZ should be nice: it has your stator on it!

• Like 1

I bought one of these lamps

http://www.lt-box.com/super-high-power-3600-lumen-3t6-3-cree-xm-l-t6-4-modes-led-bicycle-light-kit.html

dsc_3332.jpg

and attached it to 

http://pointofviewcameras.ca/drift-gopro-mount-adapter.html

gopro-mount-adapter.jpg

and then use a Go Pro clip to attach it to my helmet.

I ordered the High Capacity battery at the same time, which gives about 3+ hours of use with all 3 LEDs running, and around 6 hours with a single LED on. I should have ordered everything double.

The single LED is plenty bright, and 3 is ridiculous. The problem with LEDs is they only illuminate to a certain distance and then fall off, unlike an HID or Halogen that gradually fades away in the distance.  

As a supplement to a powerful bike mounted headlamp, this LED helmet lamp is awesome. 

For the 24 hour I ran a 10" led light bar from baja designs along with 2 cylopse helmet lights and it made a HUGE difference compared to the 12 hour I did with my stock head lamp and 2 LED flashlights taped to my helmet :blink: . Another thing that I found very convienent was air filter socks. It helps not having to fuss with fresh soaked air filters and it keeps you on your game. if we are talking about eddieville 12 hour, I found that the maxxis desert i.t. dominated compaired to mx51's or anything of that sort. Sadly I won't be riding the 12 hour due to a shoulder injury. Hope I helped and have fun out there!

Thanks for the advice e.

Looks like I'm going to team up with 3 other dudes. Gonna try to do a two lap per rider pace but we will see...

Luke

Luke

• Like 2